What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
it helped bring into focus something else that I've been wanting to say for a long time, which is that it's a sad state of affairs in our politics when people are so locked into being in one camp or the other that they can't review the evidence as it presents itself and adjust their thinking accordingly.

Ironic, isn't it? He has to follow a column about how GW is right with a column apologizing for realizing the liberals are wrong. I bet he gets fewer party invitations now.

tank girl

Gonz said:
Ironic, isn't it? He has to follow a column about how GW is right with a column apologizing for realizing the liberals are wrong. I bet he gets fewer party invitations now.

I think you need to carefully re-read the last few paragraphs again. :rolleyes:
I stand behind what I wrote, the gist of which, if you're wondering what the fuss is about, was that the sight of Iraqis embracing their right to vote forced me to re-examine my views on the war and to seriously consider the possibility that President Bush will succeed with his Iraq strategy and was right to take us to war.

If you read the column, you'd know I didn't totally flip-flop, but I opened that door, which is apparently so unusual these days that it merited attention from Rush and the Drudge Report and an entire world that I rarely visit, as well as inspiring fellow liberals to want to drum me out of the corps.

Politics' sad state of affairs.

I'm glad I wrote the column, though, even if I'm wrong, because it helped bring into focus something else that I've been wanting to say for a long time, which is that it's a sad state of affairs in our politics when
people are so locked into being in one camp or the other that they can't review the evidence as it presents itself and adjust their thinking accordingly.

How else can you explain some local columnist with liberal intentions drawing so much interest just because he wondered aloud that maybe he had been wrong and that the other side had been right?

What he says is a fair point - I think you of all people should consider that Gonz, before you bring a man of your age more shame... :p

tank girl

But my suggestion to the contrary was the only statement made in Tuesday's column, "What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?", that I didn't sincerely mean.

:shrug: Gonz...the guy said it himself... you jumped to conclusions. Again.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
So which is it? The first lie? or the second one? Or something in between?

His credibility is fucked now. His words are meaningless.

tank girl

Leslie said:
So which is it? The first lie? or the second one? Or something in between?

His credibility is fucked now. His words are meaningless.

Les, are you sure you're not overwhelemed by implicit conservative sympathies?

as well as inspiring fellow liberals to want to drum me out of the corps.
EXACTLY:
Its a crime to WONDER? now. Jeezus Bezebel :rolleyes:

The most pertinent statement in this column, I still feel, is this one...

it's a sad state of affairs in our politics when
people are so locked into being in one camp or the other that they can't review the evidence as it presents itself and adjust their thinking accordingly.

Why waste your time being distracted with petty criticisms when you're confronted with a real issue? :shrug:

(hint: the issue being - the blatantly simplistic binary division between "conservative" or "liberal" that has no tolerance for any revision or adjustmment or contemplation of anything alternative...)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
rrfield said:
Haha, I just realized that I know the answer...

Question
"What if Bush has been right about Iraq all along?"

Answer
Nelson Muntz said:
That's like asking the square root of a million. No one will ever know.

We already know. History will record these deeds. Time will judgge him favorably.

abooja

It sounds like Mr. Brown had to do a half-crawfish just to appease his liberal audience. How this guy could get a column writing for Mad Magazine, much less the Chicago Sun-Times, is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Gonz said:
We already know. History will record these deeds. Time will judgge him favorably.

and there we are back to the original problem: you thinking that your opinion is absolute truth...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Shadowfax said:
and there we are back to the original problem: you thinking that your opinion is absolute truth...

How is that a problem? What is, is.