What is or what will be your childs name and why?

Professur

Gaunt said:
How come nobody names their kids something unusual? At least something more creative than those lamers that just take a traditional name and then change the spelling slightly. :rolleyes:

Because while parents pick their kid's names, the kids pick their parent's retirement home.

HomeLAN

Theodore Certain. Theodore after my Dad, who died in '95. Certain was Karen's maiden name, and she wanted to find a way to sort of honor her father and brother.

MrBishop

Revisiting

Javier Alexander Gendron - Javier based on one of MrsBish's uncles, who died young. Alexander because it works well in French and English (and has so many variations that he'll have lots of options. My family name comes last. Makes for great initials too. J.A.G.

Luna Rose Gendron - Luna ( my wife loves the moon, and it's an original name), Rose after my maternal grandmother. You get the rest. We didn't want a vowel for a middle name. (LUG, LAG, LIG, LOG, LEG)

Both kids have part of their name in French, English and Spanish.

Starya

The Critter's first name is Stephan. It was either that or Aaron, but Stephan went better with his second name that we had already decided on after a grandfater. Neither Stephan nor Aaron held a specific meaning to me, I just like them.

If I ever get another son, I may be considering Alexander Logan, although I love the name Dorian also. Would have to come up with something to match Dorian though, as I want all kids I end up having to have two names (just like me, my siblings and my parents).

...I never considered a girls name. Is that sexist of me? :lloyd:

Inkara1

The Critter's first name is Stephan. It was either that or Aaron, but Stephan went better with his second name that we had already decided on after a grandfater. Neither Stephan nor Aaron held a specific meaning to me, I just like them.

You know... Aaron's a good name... ;)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
If I have a son someday, he shall be named Aaron Coy. One Biblical name, one old fashioned country name. Coy was my uncle's name as well.

For a daughter, we are uncertain. I like either Catherine Faith or Danah Leigh. AE likes others better. We'd have to discuss.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
My daughters are named Irene and Arlene. I couldn't see myself naming them Shanikwa or summat. I'm hoping it'll keep the riff-raff, like SnP deals with away...that and a good sawed-off double barrel, which I'm in the process of looking for.

chcr

Too cute for words
The boy's name is Arren. I wasn't involved in the naming, I didn't meet his mom until he was twelve and didn't date her until three years later. I privately think that it's spelled that way because she's a lousy speller but don't tell her that.

BlurOfSerenity

if jay and i have kids, we want to name our daughter Rosalie Morningstar (rosalie after my paternal grandmother who died before i was born, my middle name, louise, was her middle name, and morningstar after... well, it's a funny story, really, because that's satan. but it's also venus, and it's also a really good AFI song! and just pretty.)
and our son might be Cain something. not sure why, or even if that will be what we choose.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Joshua David when I have a boy

Joshua cause I like it and David after my dad, I'd never wanna give my child the same first name as someone else in the family (especially not my deceased father) and my dad's middle name is my brother's middle name and thus reserved for my brother's son's middle name (when he has one) so I'll take my Dad's first name and make it my son's middle name. The first name is negotiable depending what the as of yet unnamed father wants but I'm pretty firm on the middle name. I have no clue for a girl, I have no desire to put my last name as a middle name for a child though.

When I get married I may use my own last name until I have kids, and maybe I always will in a professional sense (since changing my degree and licencing and everything over would be the hugest hassel EVER) but when I have kids the whole family will use the same last name, it's less confusing that way I think.

Starya

Don't know the proper terms for the different parts of a name in English, but I guess it is correct to say that I have two first names (?), my mom's last name as my middle name, and my dad's last name as my last name.

The Critter also has two first names, my last name as a middle name, and then his father's last name.

If I get more kids I will follow this pattern, so all my kids will end up with four names.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Don't know the proper terms for the different parts of a name in English, but I guess it is correct to say that I have two first names (?), my mom's last name as my middle name, and my dad's last name as my last name.

The Critter also has two first names, my last name as a middle name, and then his father's last name.

If I get more kids I will follow this pattern, so all my kids will end up with four names.

I dunno about others but I'd say if one has 4 names then they have 1 first name, 1 last name and 2 middle names.

Starya

Right. But if someone is called "Robert George Peterson White", how does one differenciate between the name "George" as a 'regular' name, and "Peterson" and "White" as family names?

In my case, both 'regular' names are used on a daily basis (except online where i'm just Ann ;) ) which makes it natural for me to refer to both as my first name(s). In my son's case only Stephan is used on a daily basis, I throw the second one on when he pisses me off. :p

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Right. But if someone is called "Robert George Peterson White", how does one differenciate between the name "George" as a 'regular' name, and "Peterson" and "White" as family names?

In my case, both 'regular' names are used on a daily basis (except online where i'm just Ann ;) ) which makes it natural for me to refer to both as my first name(s). In my son's case only Stephan is used on a daily basis, I throw the second one on when he pisses me off. :p

Oh, if the last two names are both family names (and thus both written under "surname" on official forms and the like) we'd usually hyphenate them around here and the person would have one first, one middle and one last name. Two middle names would be something like...Joe Bob Bill Smith...Smith being the only family name there.

Starya

No, the last two don't both qualify as surnames, so no hyphen. (If, in my case, they were hyphenated, the Critter would have both as his middle name in addition to his father's name as his surname.)

I'm not even sure what we call the different variations over here. I think Robert and George would just be referred to as the names (pointing out which is used daily), Peterson as middle name, and White as surname.

Complicated stuff.. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
No, the last two don't both qualify as surnames, so no hyphen. (If, in my case, they were hyphenated, the Critter would have both as his middle name in addition to his father's name as his surname.)

I'm not even sure what we call the different variations over here. I think Robert and George would just be referred to as the names (pointing out which is used daily), Peterson as middle name, and White as surname.

Complicated stuff.. :D

OK, yeah, if someone is named...say..."Mary Anne" or something they would both go under first name. I didn't realize the person was called by both names regularly :)

Mare

Michael & Matthew........Michael after his father and....... Matthew??? I liked it, Megan if he was a she.