Whats the oldest thing you own?

staffrodore

Or put more reasonably , whats the possession that you have had the longest?

I have a pot plant , an asparagus fern of sorts , that Ive had since I moved into my first flat age 18 [ counts on fingers ]....... 14 years ago
But the other day I played chess with a friend on a chessboard that was given to me either as an xmas or birthday present when I was 9 .
25 years ago .
Incidentally the dog chewed one of the very styley white knights and that glue holding it together is probably the second oldest thing I own !

Inkara1

I'm pretty sure the dresser in my bedroom now was also in my room when I was born. I've also got a bookshelf that dates back to 1988 or so. My MC Hammer tape dates back to 1990, and I've still got that.

unclehobart

I'll have to look about and think about it. The oldest thing I can think of offhand is this toolbox I made in shop back in grade 6. That would make it 23 years in my posession. I might have a few scraps of 1st edition D&D that go back a few years longer.

tonksy

i have several items from my childhood but they weren't in my possession since then....um...i guess i have to say my first ex husband's father's citadel blanket. i've had that since i was 19.

Dave

lets see..i've got a bunch of comic books i bought in the 80's. still have a few paperback books from high school (late 70's). about 30 LP's from the same time frames.
the bedroom set is about 20 years old, but that was hers before we met so i dont think that counts.

chcr

Too cute for words
Yamaha FG-160E acoustic/electric guitar. Bought new in 1974.
Shure Vocal Master PA. Bought used at the same time.

A kid's got to have priorities. ;)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I guess the oldest thing I own would be some quilts my grandmother made in the 1940s.

The item longest in my possession would either be my original copy of the debut LP by KISS, or some Hot Wheels cars. I've had both since at least 1974.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The oldest thing I own is probably a doll that my grandfather gave my grandmother before I was born and she gave to me when I was a couple years old.

The thing that has been in my posession the longest is a baby blanket I had when I was born and it is still here in my room now. So, it's almost 21 years old.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, wrong, the oldest thing I own I was given 2 years ago. it is a necklace that belonged to my great great grandmother. I was named after her :)

MrBishop

The thing that I've owned the longest and still own is a stuffed toy named "little blue dog" - I ownded it about 2 days before I was born (April 1968), when my aunt gave it to me while I was waiting to be born. I still have it , although its seen better days.

The oldest thing that I currently own. There are a few... I've got bayonets dating to WWI and WWII, a couple of coins going back to 1880, a pre-WWI Champ lighter...predates Zippo.

TexasRaceLady

The oldest single item is a 3 drawer chest that came to Texas in 1850 with my many-times great grandmother.

My possession that I've had the longest is a single hand-painted cell from the MerrieMelodies cartoon called "The Night Watchman". Signed by Leon Schlesinger. Circa early 40s.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Off the top of my head, I have the China my dad sent my grandmother in the 40s or 50s, stamped "Made in Occupied Japan"...well then I also have some of his slides form his years there.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
An old Dante's Divine Comedy book (from the 1800s), illustrated and written in italian and spanish (half and half page).

PrincessLissa

I have a stuffed lamb that was given to me when I was about 1 year old or so. He is safe in a box right now.

We were discussing this at my sister in laws b-day party last night. Erik still owns a fleece penguin balnket that he has had since he was 6 or 7. He still sleeps with it every night.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'd have to say the dresser in my bedroom. My grandfather made it back in the late 40's. It's nothing special, just a pine shaker style dresser, but I refinished it just last year and I'm sure it will last for years to come yet.

The oldest thing I own that has only been mine would be some cards I got for my 11th birthday. Our house burned down when I was 10 and we lost everything from before then, so I guess I went a little nuts saving stuff for a couple years.