Whats the oldest thing you own?

My oldest possession is a metal ball fired at Gettysburg. You know the ones they pluck off the battlefield and sell to you mucho cheap? If it's authentic, it's that.

If that doesn't count, I have a book about the war dating to 1935, and my bed, Dresser, and vanity date back to 1940.

I'm not old enough to have owned anything for a long time, really...but I have had this necklace my grandfather gave me before he died in 1993.

I just remembered... my great-grandmother gave me a King James Bible with my name embossed on the cover when I was born. That would have to be my oldest possession, since I can't remember whether my parents had my dresser for a while before I got it or not.

I do have the Flag that was presented
to my fathers mother after my uncle
augured in flying a P-47 Thunderbolt in France in 44...

p47s.jpg

The posession I've had for the longest time is probably the teddy bear I was goven as a present when I was born... its 24 years old.

The oldest item in my posession... probably the my mother's long faux pearl and silver necklace... must be about 30 years old... they're now back in fashion!

I have my mother-in-laws baby shoes, my moms wedding gown, and of mine, I have some Avon lip glosses shapped like a pair of lips and a hamberger.

I wish I could date some of the antiques that my dad has passed onto me. This corner cupboard that I have is supposedly 200+ years old. He hasn't surrendered the best pieces yet. (venetian and japanese glass) I will probably have to use a prybar to get them from his fingers after he releases his mortal coil.

I keep remembering things

A book published immediately after the sinking of the Titantic detailing what was known.
Also a book published soon after the 1900 Galveston hurricane that killed 6000+ detailing that disaster.

The oldest thing in my posession would be the watch my grand mother wore when she first came to Canada in the late 40's. My oldest posession would be my teddy bear that I've had since I was born, so that's almost 30 years old.

Uki Chick said:
The oldest thing in my posession would be the watch my grand mother wore when she first came to Canada in the late 40's. My oldest posession would be my teddy bear that I've had since I was born, so that's almost 30 years old.

Psst...What about the hubby? :grinyes:

My grandfathers pocket watch, given to him when he was about 16...still works. If my math serves corretly...that'd be about 1930's.

PT - isn't it the best feeling in the world when you can refinish a piece of furniture and give it new life? I've got my grandfathers dresser at home..it's in my son's room now. I had to take off 4 layers of paint to get to the detailing and work out the intricate detailing with a dentists' pick, but it's absolutely beautiful.

They don't have this kind of workmanship anymore :(

unclehobart said:
I wish I could date some of the antiques that my dad has passed onto me. This corner cupboard that I have is supposedly 200+ years old. He hasn't surrendered the best pieces yet. (venetian and japanese glass) I will probably have to use a prybar to get them from his fingers after he releases his mortal coil.

Try Ky.

MrBishop said:
PT - isn't it the best feeling in the world when you can refinish a piece of furniture and give it new life? I've got my grandfathers dresser at home..it's in my son's room now. I had to take off 4 layers of paint to get to the detailing and work out the intricate detailing with a dentists' pick, but it's absolutely beautiful.

They don't have this kind of workmanship anymore :(
Towards the end of my grandmothers life she seemed to become obsessed with painting EVERYTHING!!! The dresser is just the first that I tackled, I'm currently working on a pair of end tables that I'm almost to the point of giving up on. I don't think anyone in the family made these, but they're nice oak end tables.

I don't use it because I have no clue how to or want to, but I own a fourth generation Singer sewing machine. It's one of the original kind that stowed down into the desk itself and it foot pump operated. I've been told it's worth a lot of dough since it still has the original seat that came with it along with all the manuals and stuff. Even the original can of oil for it. I'll never sell it though because it was my grandmothers, mothers.

The OLDEST thing I own? Some Roman coins from around 2000 years ago. Then I have a locket from my great-great-grandmother, and a tea-set from my great-grandmother.

Stuff I've kept? I'm not a hoarder... so nothing from my childhood or anything.

TexasRaceLady said:
I keep remembering things

A book published immediately after the sinking of the Titantic detailing what was known.

That is amazing! (is a Titanic freak as well) Who would the author be, if I may ask? It isn't Ismay's book, is it?

PT said:
Towards the end of my grandmothers life she seemed to become obsessed with painting EVERYTHING!!! The dresser is just the first that I tackled, I'm currently working on a pair of end tables that I'm almost to the point of giving up on. I don't think anyone in the family made these, but they're nice oak end tables.

What're you using? I've got this liquid that just makes the paint bubble off...lovely stuff though you don't want to touch it with skin lemme tell you! itches to beat all!

the oldest thing i have is a box carved from an oak beam from a 17th century farm house.

Back