When will they learn?

So the only thing she is guilty of is feeling invincible...like every other young person. I'm not saying she didn't make a way bad decision but the beginning of this thread was very harsh.

It was meant to be. Some risks in life are unrecoverable, and being harsh can sometimes get the message out much more clearly than sugar-coating it. I have two daughters. You think I want that to happen to them? I'm sure you don't want it to happen to your children, either. Family can be forgiving to a fault sometimes. The creepy guy down the road won't be.

It's going to be great when the adductor is caught and they uses this defense.

"Your honor, the girl was walking from one place to another after sundown. What was my client supposed to do? Not kidnap her?"

And idiot statements like that minimize the idea that danger is out there. Tell you what...Since you're invincible, why don't you do the following...

1. Go out socializing with friends (get drunk)
2. Take $500 in 20 dollar bills and carry them in the open where everyone can see.
3. Walk home alone.

Since you're so afraid of walking why don't you just never go out in public.

I do the same thing as this girl all the time and so does my girlfriend.

I know exactly what you're saying "If you walk from one place to another after sundown it's your own fault if you are assaulted, not the criminals".

You have no clue what I'm saying.

We had a local girl go missing a few years back...she was riding her bicycle on a country road, alone, in broad daylight when she was abducted. Did she have it coming too?

We had a local girl go missing a few years back...she was riding her bicycle on a country road, alone, in broad daylight when she was abducted. Did she have it coming too?

Once again, the point is missed. Somebody who was old enough to take precautions vs a child on a bike. Nowhere did i say she 'had it coming' You, however, just did.

BTW...the local girl who went missing does not, in any way, disprove my point. If you look at the case files, which I linked to, you'll notice a pattern there. For every 'exception' you find, I can link at least 10 that were caused by a bad decision. You may feel free, however, to tell people that anything that happens to them is somebody elses fault, even if they contributed to the scenario, if it makes you feel better. I'll keep telling people to be careful, and be safe. At the end of the day, I bet my advice saves more people than yours...

You miss out on a lot when you're scared of everything. There's never going to be no crime rate so I'd rather enjoy freedom than live in fear.

So...after a night of 'socializing'...walking home is a smart thing to do? That was her fault. It comes down to personal responsibility. If she was with friends, or took a taxi, and got snatched, then she took precautions. Then it would fall 100% on the criminal. She didn't do those things. If you walked in Central Park at 2:15 AM with $100 bills in plain view, and got robbed, then that would be stupid on your part, would it not? Same principal applies here. You want to be stupid, don't cry when stupid things happen to you. That's my whole argument in a nutshell.

The difference with your "$100 bills" argument and that of the kidnapped girl is provocation. A man walking around flashing $100 bills could incite someone to rob him. But this girl was just walking by herself. It would be a different story had the girl been walking dressed half-naked through a ghetto.

Although, you could still argue that the girl walking alone home late at night provoked her abductor but the provocation was not intentional.

Now what goes on in the criminal mind is usually some kind of disorder. Anything you do could provoke someone. Dressing up your seven year old daughter appropriately could still incite lust to a pedophile.

The important thing is context. But there are many unknown circumstances as to why she walked alone home. Maybe she got into a fight at the party and her ride wouldn't take her home or maybe she was humiliated in some way and just had to leave without her ride. Regardless, even if she decided she just felt like walking home there was nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Should of the girl walked alone so early in the morning by herself? Of couse not. Should she be blamed for what had happened to her? Most certainly not.

The difference with your "$100 bills" argument and that of the kidnapped girl is provocation. A man walking around flashing $100 bills could incite someone to rob him. But this girl was just walking by herself. It would be a different story had the girl been walking dressed half-naked through a ghetto.

Provocation? That's a laugh. The word you're looking for is temptation.

Gotholic said:
Although, you could still argue that the girl walking alone home late at night provoked her abductor but the provocation was not intentional.

Now what goes on in the criminal mind is usually some kind of disorder. Anything you do could provoke someone. Dressing up your seven year old daughter appropriately could still incite lust to a pedophile.

The important thing is context. But there are many unknown circumstances as to why she walked alone home. Maybe she got into a fight at the party and her ride wouldn't take her home or maybe she was humiliated in some way and just had to leave without her ride. Regardless, even if she decided she just felt like walking home there was nothing intrinsically wrong with that.

Should of the girl walked alone so early in the morning by herself? Of couse not. Should she be blamed for what had happened to her? Most certainly not.

Who's blaming her? I said that she should bear some responsibility for what happened, and everybody jumps on that as if its a guilty/innocent thing. It most certainly is not. Its a stupid/smart thing.

Isn't THAT the question, tho' ?

*imagines Gato doing the Eulogy at the funeral :rofl: * :D

(er- poor girl and her family)

Back