When...

True dat...

I don't see myself moving for at least 15 years though. Regular gutters better last at least that long if not a full 25 years.

Well installed and maintained ones, at least. First order, tho, is to research the leaf-proofing. I (being the asshole that you all love so much) would take a bushel or so of last seasons old leaves from the hill behind, to the showroom, and ask for a test run. If they flinch in the slightest, move on.

We also have to be cautious with new gutters because tat motherfucking covenence. The rules on gutters say they must be "unobtrusive" and "may not detract from the appearance of the house".
BTW, we're giving them a meaty middle finger and have planted a larger veggie patch in the back yard this year.

unclehobart said:
I wonder how much going to copper would cost?

Copper gutters? :eek5: I didn't know they made'em in copper. Doesn't make sense to me, copper tarnishes and corrodes and would weigh three times as much as aluminum.

alex said:
Copper gutters? :eek5: I didn't know they made'em in copper. Doesn't make sense to me, copper tarnishes and corrodes and would weigh three times as much as aluminum.

Oh, hell yes. Copper has one huge advantage over any other metal for roofing, gutters, flashings, etc. It's oxidized form is 100% as strong as it's pure form. Your copper gutters will corrode, but still never leak. But it's a very, very high end installation.

Professur said:
Oh, hell yes. Copper has one huge advantage over any other metal for roofing, gutters, flashings, etc. It's oxidized form is 100% as strong as it's pure form. Your copper gutters will corrode, but still never leak. But it's a very, very high end installation.
It used to be pretty common to have a copper roof on a government building because they're practically maintenance free. After a couple of years they turn a lovely green color and then they're pretty much impervious.

Inkara1 said:
Indeed; I guess they're not THAT impervious if "used to be" is correct. :D

No, our shock at "used to be" (atleast mine) is that they still ARE very common from what I've seen.

Nixy said:
No, our shock at "used to be" (atleast mine) is that they still ARE very common from what I've seen.

You know I never noticed it before, but I am on a Navy base right now and the part of the gutter that is on the roof is copper. The part of the gutter that runs down the side of builiding is regular gutter material (this is not my area of expertise can you tell?). The gutters in housing area are not copper. They are all regular gutters...rereading this it sounds like it was typed by an idiot.

simplyred said:
You know I never noticed it before, but I am on a Navy base right now and the part of the gutter that is on the roof is copper. The part of the gutter that runs down the side of builiding is regular gutter material (this is not my area of expertise can you tell?). The gutters in housing area are not copper. They are all regular gutters...rereading this it sounds like it was typed by an idiot.

It's weird the things you don't really take notice of...and then someone talks about them on OTC and you're insanely aware...everytime I go to the washroom now I am eerily aware of the manner in which I wipe...

Nixy said:
It's weird the things you don't really take notice of...and then someone talks about them on OTC and you're insanely aware...everytime I go to the washroom now I am eerily aware of the manner in which I wipe...

OMG ME TOO!

Back