When...

tonksy said:
The funny this is that in order to sell the house we would have to sink a ton of money into it to fix the things I am not crazy about to begin with...so the thing is, by the time we shell out to fix it up for the market we might as well have just fixed it the way we (read I) like it and stay put.

When you get a house ready to put on the market, you don't fix it up to your liking. Haven't you ever watched that show "Sell this House" with the big muscular guy. They take out all the owners personal stuff, paint over wallpaper and put a sheet over the kitchen table and whala....it sells....just like magic. Seems so easy doesn't it?

1. The carpet is very old and needs to be replaced in many spots.
2. Someone thought it was a good idea to carpet the master bathroom and that needs to go.
3. The master shower needs new tile and the sinks up there need new fixtures.
4. The laundry room floor (which is wood :tardbang: ) has some water damage and needs replacement with tile.
5. There are plumbing issues
6. The are gutter issues
7. Most of the rooms need to be repainted as they haven't been painted in many years.
8. The built in microwave with the oven dials is busted.
9. The basement...oi, the basement.
10. The hot tub needs to go or get installed
11. The old intercom system needs to be removed
12. Doorbell is tied into said system.
13. Remote garage door opener is busted.
14. I believe the gas fireplaces do not work.
Most of these things are purely cosmetic and not important but in order to sell they have to be fixed.

tonksy said:
2. Someone thought it was a good idea to carpet the master bathroom and that needs to go. DOOOHHHH
4. The laundry room floor (which is wood :tardbang: ) has some water damage and needs replacement with tile. double DOOOOHHH

That's not really that bad, just a lot of work if you do it yourself. How old is the house?

The house is about 16 years old.
We plan on doing most of it ourselves...what we can anyway. We'll need to hire a crew of painters to do the foyer and livingroom because of the vaulted ceilings. I won't let Rob do any electrical work ;) and the plumbing is all exterior so he'll hire someone to do that...as well as the gutters.
We've been doing projects with frequency. Next is the bathroom on the main floor. The wallpaper is god awful and blissfully peeling. I hope to have that taken care of by the time the BBQ rolls around.

If there was one thing I did right when I had my house built....NO WALLPAPER.

House was built in '91. I started remodeling in '01.

Started with new roof, added some soffit vents to better ventilate the attic and had ridge vents put on. $4000

Replaced front three windows with vynil windows. $1000

Replaced some rotting soffit boards on front of house. New gutters. $500

Painted outside of house myself.....I even dug out all the old caulking with a dental tool and put in 50 year caulking $priceless

Complete new air unit (heat pump & air handler in attic) $2700

Paint laundry room and kitchen.

Paint and new carpet in living room, dining room and hall.

Paint and new carpet in two front bedrooms. Paint and new linolium in hall bath.

Paint and new carpet in master bedroom and new linolium in master bath.

It was a long hard journey. I learned that even if you order the same carpet 2 months later, it WILL be a slightly different color.

tonksy said:
Carpet gets funky in wet, humid areas. If it doesn't mold or mildew it bunches up.

ummm...what are you doing in the bedroom where it would get wet enough to mold/mildew/funky?

Back