Will America Ever be this cool?

peterska2 said:
What he means is

WTF do you forigeners think our british accents sound like?

i think its attractive when a lady has a british accent. and i usualy spell things the british way myself

i have a pretty heavy southern accent with a hint of cajun. drives me crazy because i can hear it and i didn't have it 10 yrs ago. i can turn it off if i try really hard, but why bother?
my mom has a new zealand accent, apparently. i can't hear it. just the way my mom talks, weird, huh?

not really. before I transferred here i was in Md in a school close to DC. someone I met maybe once(he was a friend of some of my friends in that campus) left for England. he now has an English accent. and he was in America for something like 18 years maybe more

I think I can tell the difference between some Brittish accents. The Stones and the Beatles sounded very different.

Can people in the UK hear the different American accents? Some thick southern accents I have trouble understanding. I can understand people from India's english better then some of the good ol' boys.

rrfield

There are only 2 english accents that i hate: Scotish and Southern USA. Those are even worse than the australian accent.

peterska2 said:
see you Americans spell it wrong and then the colour tags on the forums don't work right coz it was obviously designed by a bloody American. (vB not OTC)

Considering how many lines of code go into a page here, saving just that one letter turns from insignificant to a much quicker load time.

yeah but it is a pain when you have to keep going back editing your tags coz instead of getting

this is red coloured fint

you get

[colour=red]this is red coloured font[/colour]

is very annoying

Luis G said:
There are only 2 english accents that i hate: Scotish and Southern USA. Those are even worse than the australian accent.

Luis I hate to break it to you (Prof and Arris may actually BREAK you) but scottish is not an english accent...scottish is a scottish accent. Scotlands a seperate country

I love the Brit accents for the most part. Only have a bit of a prob with drunken Geordies once in a while, then again, the more I drink the easier they are to understand.

I'm not overly fond of the American accent, nothing serious - it's just the way they pronounce their vowels that can sometimes make a word seem completely unrecognisable.

AlphaTroll said:
I love the Brit accents for the most part. Only have a bit of a prob with drunken Geordies once in a while, then again, the more I drink the easier they are to understand.

I'm not overly fond of the American accent, nothing serious - it's just the way they pronounce their vowels that can sometimes make a word seem completely unrecognisable.
vase a good start? lever? (thats LEE-ver people)

Alpha....try understanding a drunken geordie with a stammer (my mate paul from uni...NIGHTMARE!)

AlphaTroll said:

As a drunken Geordie I can fully empathise with you there hun...........I have trouble understanding what I'm saying while drunk :shrug:

The only accent I really dislike is brummie (birmingham). Speak at a descent speed godammit!!

Brummie speaking.......must....stay ......... concious :sleep:

bleach said:
As a drunken Geordie I can fully empathise with you there hun...........I have trouble understanding what I'm saying while drunk :shrug:

The only accent I really dislike is brummie (birmingham). Speak at a descent speed godammit!!

Brummie speaking.......must....stay ......... concious :sleep:
:rofl4:

sorry you just reminded me of the new Auf Wiedersehn Pet episodes there:

I invite him into my 'ome for dinner and 'e calls me a RADISH?[/brummie]

steweygrrrr said:
vase a good start? lever? (thats LEE-ver people)

Alpha....try understanding a drunken geordie with a stammer (my mate paul from uni...NIGHTMARE!)

Vase is a definite good start on that one - even small words like 'theatre' - I knew a guy who pronounced it as 'theedur'. And in some word his i's were pronounced more like 'ee'.

Don't all Geordies stammer when they're dr unk? ;) Had a whale of a time understanding one last weekend - kept telling me "Aa divvin'knaa" or "Ther aa' gyen" (or summin to that effect) when I asked him where his mates were. Eventually figured out he was trying to say he doesn't know & they're all gone. Was a nice enough fella, but I couldn't for the life of me understand what the hell a 'dook' is (I thought he was asking me if I want to have duck with him?????)

bleach said:
As a drunken Geordie I can fully empathise with you there hun...........I have trouble understanding what I'm saying while drunk

Hun, ye should not be conversing with yerself when ye been tootin', 'tis a sure sign of madness! :D

Hun, ye should not be conversing with yerself when ye been tootin', 'tis a sure sign of madness!

We are not mad.....we just get lonely sometimes

Don't all Geordies stammer when they're dr unk?

N.n.n.no we d.d.d.don't! ..........:eek6:........ :blush:

bleach said:
We are not mad.....we just get lonely sometimes

N.n.n.no we d.d.d.don't! ..........:eek6:........ :blush:

Ah - so it's not stammering - it's simply all the voices in yer head trying to speak at once?! :lol2:

bleach said:
Yeah, I find it best to keep them sedated :D

Ah, sedation - my favourite state of mind..............best way to avoid mutiny too ;)

So, can one of your voices please tell me what on this flippen planet a 'dook' is?

Is it supposed to be duke - as in Dookie (the guy who terrorised the Gummibears?)

Back