Winky.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
K62 said:
Celsius is obvious, water freezes at 0c, and boils at 100c.

And it freezes at 32 and boils at 212. In real temperature that is.

See, here's the point. I already know all this stuff. Why relearn it just to please somebody in another country? I don't see them going out of their way to learn an entire measurement system to please me.

If I go somewhere that's metric, I'll use it. But you see, here I don't have to. So I won't. And you can't make me. Nyyaaaaahh. :p

Professur

I'd just like to mention that ... I use both. And if the math to convert feet to yards to miles is too complicated for you, you really should reconsider voting. Or breeding. Or possibly breathing.

Metric is lazy. Pure and simple. It's the Ebonics of the science scene.

Although, I do find it comical that the one country that maintains it, is the same one that's too lazy to put the letter U to good use.

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
And it freezes at 32 and boils at 212. In real temperature that is.

See, here's the point. I already know all this stuff. Why relearn it just to please somebody in another country? I don't see them going out of their way to learn an entire measurement system to please me.

If I go somewhere that's metric, I'll use it. But you see, here I don't have to. So I won't. And you can't make me. Nyyaaaaahh. :p
That's the point though. It's not to please someone in another country, It's to please people in this one. If you plan on having any kind of career in the military, in any of the sciences or any kind of engineering you need the metric system. I don't know why I bother though, it'll never happen until after the Chinese take over and I'll be long dead by then.

Altron

Luis G said:
Yes, so you know that anything equal or below 0ºC means freezing temps.

Many people base their diet on an ammount of calories, but anyone knows what a calorie stands for?

Well, it is the energy you need to apply to a liter of water to elevate its temperature by 1ºC

I bet you'll have a hard time expressing that in your english dumbass units :p

It's milliliter/cubic centimeter of water, not liter/cubic decameter of water.

Metric is easier for doing science calculations at school, Imperial is easier for real life. It is easier because the values are ingrained. When I hear '30 cm' I need to pause and think 'a foot'. I can't hear '30 cm' and have an idea of how long it is, but I can hear 'a foot' and know how long it is. It's also partially because Imperial is based off of tangible things. A foot? About the size of my shoe. A yard? Roughly the length or my arm.

Unless you are constantly changing units like in science, you do not need to extra ease of use.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
I'd just like to mention that ... I use both. And if the math to convert feet to yards to miles is too complicated for you, you really should reconsider voting. Or breeding. Or possibly breathing.

Ugh, complicated calculations in imperial units are are royal pain in the ass. When I would see a question on an assignment or test in imperial I would actually say (or think if it was in a test) "Arrrgh"...when you've got pressures and areas and elastic modulus and self weight and specific gravity and you're in imperial everything gets VERY messy, VERY quickly...:grumpy:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Altron said:

In colloquial language, calorie means kilocalorie. I'm not saying you're wrong thou.

But now that we entered technicisms, is that slash meant as in km/h or as in either of the two terms? :p

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:

Metric is easier for doing science calculations at school, Imperial is easier for real life. It is easier because the values are ingrained. When I hear '30 cm' I need to pause and think 'a foot'. I can't hear '30 cm' and have an idea of how long it is, but I can hear 'a foot' and know how long it is. It's also partially because Imperial is based off of tangible things. A foot? About the size of my shoe. A yard? Roughly the length or my arm.

Unless you are constantly changing units like in science, you do not need to extra ease of use.

If you were used to metric then you could visualize it. Imperial temperatures I can't even wrap my head around...someone tells me it's 60 and I'm like "and that means?" Also, I can visualize a metre in length...if someone told me to stand "One yard" away from them I wouldn't have a clue. I can visualize feet and inches because they're still common for building stuff around here so tiles are often 1ft square...but really when it comes to visualizing it's what you're used to. I could probably estimate 10 centimeters pretty damn close to what it actually is. Also, I est speed in metric...again, it's what one is used to.

K62

Yeah I also use both for small measurements ( ' + " ) I don't even think I own a dedicated metric measuring tape.

Fahrenheit means nothing to me though.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I went to the Re-Store last week to look at doors. Took the time to measure it all out in ' before I went, so I could grab it and run.

Get there, come to find out they do all their measuring in ".

That blew. Had to borrow a measuring tape from them to see what the correlations were.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
I went to the Re-Store last week to look at doors. Took the time to measure it all out in ' before I went, so I could grab it and run.

Get there, come to find out they do all their measuring in ".

That blew. Had to borrow a measuring tape from them to see what the correlations were.

Multiply by 12 :p

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
That's math though :(

True

I think I woulda asked for a calculator instead of a tape measure...but you're right it's not as easy as moving the decimal place with metric.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I can visualize any reasonable ammount of cm pretty well. Same applies to liters, ml, cl, dl, kg, ºC, etc...

prof, I am smart enough to translate to english units, but I still find the system flawed and silly. You might call metric the ebonics of science, but there's no need to complicate things when they can be easy.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
I can visualize any reasonable ammount of cm pretty well. Same applies to liters, ml, cl, dl, kg, ºC, etc...

prof, I am smart enough to translate to english units, but I still find the system flawed and silly. You might call metric the ebonics of science, but there's no need to complicate things when they can be easy.

Exactly, I CAN work in imperial but doesn't mean I want to or that I should have to...it's a pain in the ass!

Slim Pickens

K62 said:
pfft, 'Merica is scared of the UN. What else would they have switched from

Able, Baker... to the NATO phonetic alphabit (alpha, bravo...) !!!

:kiss:

I would like to point out that NATO has nothing to do with the UN

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
While that's largely true, why would you purposely use the harder one?

Professur

Luis, Nixy, thank you for confirming my point.

And Nixy, if it's that "ugly", maybe you chose the wrong career. After all, what happens when you've got .72 millimeters to work into it? Don't build it? It's too complex? I should think not.

BTW, I remind all that I still use a slide rule and log tables, instead of a calculator.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Luis, Nixy, thank you for confirming my point.

And Nixy, if it's that "ugly", maybe you chose the wrong career. After all, what happens when you've got .72 millimeters to work into it? Don't build it? It's too complex? I should think not.

BTW, I remind all that I still use a slide rule and log tables, instead of a calculator.

Oh I have no issues with metric units...it makes sense to me and I have no problem working with them.

Imperial units however are a pain in the rear end. I do them when I have to...but that is all.

K62

Slim Pickens said:
I would like to point out that NATO has nothing to do with the UN

Ahah yes you're right.

That's me smoking crack again, not reading what I typed, or even really thinking about it.