Winky.

Professur

Nixy said:
Oh I have no issues with metric units...it makes sense to me and I have no problem working with them.

Imperial units however are a pain in the rear end. I do them when I have to...but that is all.

BTW, where would you class thousands of an inch? OOPS!!!

Altron

chcr said:
While that's largely true, why would you purposely use the harder one?

Because for someone who has used it their entire life, it isn't the harder one.

Luis G said:
But now that we entered technicisms, is that slash meant as in km/h or as in either of the two terms?
Either, since one so acquainted with metrics should know that a liter is a cubic decameter and a milliliter is a cubic centimeter.

Professur

rrfield said:

Just you remember that when the Earth's magnetic field goes tits up, and all your fancy calculators go for a shit. When they build Los Alamos ... it was slide rules that ruled. Slide rules took men to the moon too, and brought them back.

When I worked in hotels, the first thing we taught the rookies was what to do when the computers failed. Not if, when. As a computer tech, the first question I always asked my customers was ... Do you have backups. Never, ever forget your backup.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Just you remember that when the Earth's magnetic field goes tits up, and all your fancy calculators go for a shit. When they build Los Alamos ... it was slide rules that ruled. Slide rules took men to the moon too, and brought them back.

When I worked in hotels, the first thing we taught the rookies was what to do when the computers failed. Not if, when. As a computer tech, the first question I always asked my customers was ... Do you have backups. Never, ever forget your backup.

Are you suffering from insomnia or something?

Winky

yeah it is what you are used too
in 'Merican temps in the forties
(at least around here) are jacket weather
but if you canukians see these numbers
they seem warm do they not?

aha.JPG

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
chcr said:
That's the point though. It's not to please someone in another country, It's to please people in this one. If you plan on having any kind of career in the military, in any of the sciences or any kind of engineering you need the metric system. I don't know why I bother though, it'll never happen until after the Chinese take over and I'll be long dead by then.

In a few months, I will be 40 years old. I wager my rifle totin, sa-LUTin days are behind me. I further suggest that had I wanted a career in the sciences, I'd a done had it by now. Hence, I don't need to relearn how long my bedroom wall is.

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
In a few months, I will be 40 years old. I wager my rifle totin, sa-LUTin days are behind me. I further suggest that had I wanted a career in the sciences, I'd a done had it by now. Hence, I don't need to relearn how long my bedroom wall is.
Again, misses the point. Nobody but you cares how long your bedroom wall is. You can measure it in cubits if you like. The country should change. Just my opinion and I've held that opinion for 30+ years. Like I say, it won't happen until the Chinese take over.

rrfield

In the mid-to-late 1980's elementary schools versed us well in the metric system because "we's a gonna change soon".

waiting.

chcr

Too cute for words
rrfield said:
In the mid-to-late 1980's elementary schools versed us well in the metric system because "we's a gonna change soon".

waiting.
35 years ago when I was in jr. high they told us how in a few years we'd all be on the metric system, have a 4 day work week ( :rofl4: ) and paperless offices. Oh, and where the fuck is my flying car?!?!?!?!?

;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
rrfield said:

waiting.

Great job!!!! Grandpa used to tell me how the max speed signs said 100k instead of 100km/h