Wish me luck...I'm about to...

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, if you've got everything backed up, don't hook up the back-up drive until you've got XP working again. Now, you can try having the XP cd repair the installation. I've never actually seen it work, but I know people who claim it has. When you boot from the cd it will give you the option to install or repair an existing installation.

chcr

Too cute for words
Another option (better, IMO) is to install XP afresh on the extra drive then reinstall all your programs, etc. You do have the installation stuff for all lf your programs? That way you keep this one running for questions and answers.

MrBishop

I've got 90% of the programs on CD...'ceppt the DLed stuff like AVG, google toolbar etc...

OK...I'm going to try it now. Wish me luck folx... :)

I'll see you on teh flip-side.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've completely changed machines, twice, with XP installed (Pro corporate version) and it spent a few miutes updating itself on the hardware changes but everything worked.

PostCode

Major contributor!
What you might try doing is after yout it all ready hardware wise, boot the system to a XP CD, preferably one with SP2 either slipstreamed in or has it in by default, and then run the repair option. That should get the system back up with no problem.

chcr

Too cute for words
PostCode said:
What you might try doing is after yout it all ready hardware wise, boot the system to a XP CD, preferably one with SP2 either slipstreamed in or has it in by default, and then run the repair option. That should get the system back up with no problem.

chcr said:
Well, if you've got everything backed up, don't hook up the back-up drive until you've got XP working again. Now, you can try having the XP cd repair the installation. I've never actually seen it work, but I know people who claim it has. When you boot from the cd it will give you the option to install or repair an existing installation.
I always knew you were pretty smart. :D

MrBishop

Visiting friends w/ internet access... Gonz is right, I don't ususally paly online on weekends. :D Weekends are for family time... the internet is for 'work time' :D

OK...transfered everything over cept the backup HD... turned'er on... the system found the RAM, the HD and DC then tried to boot from the existing XP on the HD...no-go. Had to go back into the BiOS and tell it to boot from CD first...problem is, no Booteable XP CD. :shrug:

So...I'm looking to borrow one long enough to boot from and reinstall my shit. With Mir in town, I might borrow from his skills (and maybe his CD) to get my shit up.

Everythign good so far...more updates on Monday night...providing I can get my machine to work right ... if not, Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks again for all the help. Have a great weekend!

**Your family is the only work that matters**

catocom

catocom said:
Mr. B, you might have better luck if....
You go into safe mode, remove Every Driver, theeeen backup again, and
then switch over. :nerd:
didn't do that did ya? :D

You could still try to restore a backup, and do it, and try again.

Inkara1

Is it XP SP2? Make sure your BIOS doesn't need a flash to work with SP2 like mine did. If I'd known it needed one, I could have saved probably 8 hours of frustration.

MrBishop

Kawaii said:
Whoa. I can do that. 1) How much do you earn in a typical month, and 2) how much is that in real money?
It depends on the month...it's freelance work and I have to hustle to get more gigs. Mostly word of mouth now...though I have a budget for ads and Yellow-pages registry. Plus about 1/3 of the money towards a massive 'postcard' advertising campaign.

My best gig fetched me $3,700 (that was a print gig though)... one thta I'm sitting on while waiting for their 'text' to come in, will fetch me another $2,750. (1 Flash 'splash page' = $250 + 10 English/10 french HTML =$2500)

Basically, it comes down to a set rate per page for web-design/flash. While HTML takes longer overall, flash takes a long time for page#1 and the following pages just roll right along. Depending on how fast I'm working, I can get 1 HTML page up and going every 45mins...that's the equivalent of $125/hr. Then we come to the french pages (most Quebec companies do both french and english versions. Removing English text and replacing it with French text, as you might imagine, takes mere minutes, but get charged full rate. I can turn one over from English to French in about 15 mins...that's $400/hr. It evens out though...

There's a Looooooooooong waiting period between gigs though. I earned about $8500 last year. I'm aiming for $10,000 this year. :D

MrBishop

OK...back to business. XP is up and running...it did not delete my other files and I was able to bring over my Docs, pics, music etc...from my backup back to the main drive. The XP (auto file transfer/backup bolloksed up though...the file is corrupted...so my favorites, emails, contacts, ISP setup etc...is fucked up).

I can recover most of that time-permitting.
All of my software is still present though XP doesn't know that its there... they're not listed in the 'my programs'. I guess that I have to reload. :shrug:

I'm worried about reloading my Palm desktop software quickly enough. My Palm's got all my contacts on it and can go back to Outlook directly (saving me hours of work)...but the batteries are dying on the Palm. Got to get that software up and going quickly.

My Symantec AV2005 is fucking up and I don't know why. It fails the install over and over again. I can't/won't go online without a firewall/AV... I had to do it to get one file that I had uploaded to Yahoo...and when I disconnected, Adaware found 288 instances of spyware, etc... All in 5 mins!

MrBishop

So...I now, for some reason unbeknownst to me...have two versions of XP running. One on my C-drive and the other on my D-drive. Hvn't the slightest f'n idea how the hell that happened.!

Any ideas? I've got to turf one right away (on D)...and format the whole of C

Can I do that within the D-drive windows? Which one (at startup, I'm now given two choices of XP pro) do I login as? One of them has me as admin...don't know which one. :Shrug:

I'm contemplating teaching this machine how to fly, through trans-silicone gravity assistedc impetus (Throwing the bitch through the window to the ground below)

MrBishop

Professur said:
It's like that because you didn't listen to what people told you to do. No great suprise there.
More likely its like that because he XP CD that I've got never gave me any other options but to do it that way...I don't have the real CD...no 'repair' option, and no format/partition ooption.

How it chose "D" is another question entirely!

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
How it chose "D" is another question entirely!

Because there was already one on C:\

To find out which drive your in, log in and then use the address bar in Winders Explorer to figure out if your in C:\ or D:\

Note that XP doesn't care which drve it's on.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
open the console and type set

Look for SystemDrive, SystemRoot or windir variables, any of those will tell you where is stored the windows currently in use.