2005 BBQ Headcount thread

Professur

I've got a few of those 'magic' rods for AL, but I've never managed to get them to work the way the asshole at the homeshow does. I've invested in a bottle of brazing fuel. Hopefully that'll make the difference. I really don't wanna have to buy new metal.

HomeLAN

Catocom, I'll pencil you in. If Sharky executes his dibs, I still have a sleeper sofa. Beats your van.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Is HomeLAN's kid the only other child? Any other neighbourhood kids we can borrow for a few hours?

Why do you want MORE kids? :alienhuh:

Professur

Cat, it's the sheet aluminium for the roof. The magic rods seem to work. I managed to solder up a few holes in a soda can. And put even bigger holes right back. The melting point of the rod is very very close to that of the can (makes sense) and the temp control is critical to not destroying the material. Plus, it's hotter than the paint can take, so add a paint job to the list.

Nix, you were at Bish's and Uki's bbqs. Which one did the kids enjoy more? Hmmm? Yup, the one where they were bouncing in Rob's truck.

catocom

Professur said:
The melting point of the rod is very very close to that of the can (makes sense) and the temp control is critical to not destroying the material.
yep that's part of the tough learning curve part.
Pop-rivets?, silicone?, ....Duct-tape?. :D

Professur

Naw. If these rods work, I'll just do it that way, real careful like. When I bought it years back, a tree limb had gone through the top, leaving several punctures, which I repaired with sheetmetal and GOOP. It looked just like what it was, a bodge job. If I'm already investing the time and money in rebuilding the woodwork for it, the sheet is gonna look good too. Even if I have to shell out for new metal.

catocom

If you have a number there on those rods or something, post it.
I'd like to try to find some to try out. :nerd:

Professur

They're not 'welding rods' persay. I picked these up at a flee market, but I've seen them at homeshows too. Anywhere where they're selling those knives that'll cut through a hammer, and the synthetic chammies, you'll find these. I've had them for years, but could never manage to work them. Always wound up with a result like trying to melt solder with the iron, instead of heating the work. Blobs that don't stick to anything. I'll bring a couple up with me.

unclehobart

How about casting a fiberglass shell and just hotgluing that puppy on there. It might double as a pontoon boat if you pop it off and chuck it into a lake.

Professur

That .... was actually an option, minus the boating. If I had enough time to build the mould, I'd redo the entire thing in glass. But glass is heavy. And this fucker is already somewhere between 1600 and 2300 pounds, depending on which sticker you read. Adding more weight is not an option.

HomeLAN

Here's what we have at this point:

Sharky - with me
Catocom - with me
Inky - with Unc
SL - with Unc
Spot - with Unc.

That means we have 1 more free spot at Unc's. One person. If you need it, speak up now. If there are still a bunch of you coming (enough to check group room rates) I need to know that by Friday, 5PM. After that, I'll point you to close-by hotels, and cut what deal you can.