2006 BBQ Possibilities

Professur

unclehobart said:
Bullshit I didn't times two.

*makes a hex sign*

No tag back!

I've been trying to drag your ass up here for years. Hell, I gave you crap for visiting GF and not coming the rest of the way.

unclehobart

Not as much crap as Huge gave me for being in the same city and not looking him up. I was like 'Geez... you haven't posted in a year; don't know where you live; don't know your number; didn't know you were still alive; never shared so much as 3 PM's ... and you wanted me to look you up?' *shrug*

unclehobart

I do remember you offering up the cabin for a relaxing weekender... but not your couch. At that time you were so f'n busy that you barely had time to say 'hiya, byeya' outside of a weekend. I just couldn't justify 60 hours of driving for versus 40~ hours of face time... of which half would have been spent sleeping. I politely probed, you laid out the hard realities, and I ultimately just let it drift in place. As it turns out, I (we) did ultimately make up to MTL to do the gawking touristy thing after all ... and you have been down here. All that is left is for us all to make it to a random 3rd party location and fish a lake empty.

Professur

Did that, although neither of us got lines in the water. Drained some good beer, tho. And had to nearly drown one kid getting the bug spray off his face.

Good times, good times.

Professur

Hey, if you guys want, you can follow us back up. Big ass lake, plenty of sneaky small mouths. Pike and muskie not too far off the beaten path.

tonksy

I'd be up for that provided that James and Roz were going to take the girls back with them. I just don't know that they would enjoy the 2 day drive...but they might.

tonksy

SouthernN'Proud said:
Meet me at exit 23 off I-81 Saturday morning around 7:30. Wendy's parking lot.

*Open invitation to almost all forum members*
Got an extra pole? We are checking the mileage.....ooh, we'd have to drive up friday night and get a room or start out at 2 AM.

Professur

tonksy said:
I'd be up for that provided that James and Roz were going to take the girls back with them. I just don't know that they would enjoy the 2 day drive...but they might.

That's why we haul out at bed time. The kids sleep through the first 8 to 12 hours of the trip.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
tonksy said:
Got an extra pole? We are checking the mileage.....ooh, we'd have to drive up friday night and get a room or start out at 2 AM.

Had one...you could use the kid's for the day. Heaven knows I got tackle to spare.

You mean to tell me Unc ain't outfitted? *handonhip

tonksy

SouthernN'Proud said:
Had one...you could use the kid's for the day. Heaven knows I got tackle to spare.

You mean to tell me Unc ain't outfitted? *handonhip
Rob isn't much into fishing. He would be coming to spend the day waterside and have good conversation. I would be fishing.
We gonna eat these fish together somewhere's?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
My good lady...one does not sport fish in these parts. If I'm gonna fish, I'm gonna eat. Mountain streams stocked with trout, Douglas Lake with its sauger and walleye population, bass and Lord knows what all in the Nolachuckey River...it's all good. Plus, we bought one of them deep friers (turkey sized) that is itchin to be christened.

I'm serious. If y'all wanna come up sometime, holler. If we get back in some manner of housing within reasonable time limits, we'll find ample crashing space for ya. Where I trout fish is actually a forestry service road that goes from just up yonder on the hill all the way to Hot Springs NC. The flood of '01 washed the road out, but it's being rebuilt. Foot traffic only right now, so Unc and the younguns can hike about, whatever. Beaucoup places to bank fish for trout on it. I make the finest cornbread this side of Heaven, and you will not beat the scenery.

unclehobart

It's not that I didn't want to fish when I was a kid; it's just that I was raised too near a major city in the 70s... the era of gross pollution and disrespect for fishin' holes and the like. My parents thought poorly of fishing. They would not supply me with equipment. I had to tie a hook on a line on a stick and straight dip into the water about 6 feet away... no bobber, no sinker... and if anything more than 6oz hit my bait it would have been stripped right off the end of the stick. So... was naught more than a passing weekender hobby at the local 2 acre lake from the age of 6-9 with little success... which is probably a good thing since the lake was a notorious dumping ground for bottles, cans, tires, cigarette packs... anything I would have caught with any size would have had 7 eyes and 1 fin with a gut full of menthol butts.

As I became an adult, since the joy was not instilled as a child, drifted from my mind as an adult. Consequently, I have no gear... unless Homey wants to let me borrow a kit.

Hey, Steve...

HomeLAN

We can probably arrange something.

Shit, that reminds me. I need to go through my gear and make sure I'm prepared for the season.

unclehobart

Tonks asks: If we come up there are we going to be eating fish this time? Are you bringing your kit to cook and various supplies?.. or are we going back to your place? Do we need to bring anything? ... or whats up?

Me: I'm allergic to lots... I will probably have to bring a good bit of my own stuff on the side and will have to miss the cornbread. Is your oil base corn? Do we need to somehow apply for a short term fishing license on this jaunt? how far from the Wendy's is said fishing spot?

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
Oh, and umm...

Would it be in terribly bad taste to mention now that AE and myself have seriously discussed hosting in '07?

Not in the slightest. I brought it up early so that it could be thrashed out. Actually, when I mentionned to the missus that I'd put us forth for hosting 2007, she looked at me in shock "But we were going to SnP's in 2007 ..."

Of course she'd overlooked the 4 weeks of vacation time I've got now. Jsut have to lean on the boss a bit to put the time together. If you're really wanting the summer, I can always host the winter one. But, you'd have to attend mine.