Ain't gun control wonderful???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkara1

Re: the graph showing intentional firearm deaths per 100,000 and percentage of households with guns

Notice that Switzerland has more households (percentage) with guns than the USA does, but a much lower rate of intentional gun deaths? Notice that Denmark has a slightly higher percentage of households with guns but a far lower rate of intentional deaths? Notice that New Zealand has a far higher percentage of households with guns but a slightly power gun death rate?

Seems like that graph doesn't really prove anything.

Inkara1

Here's a little anecdote:

When I was a freshman in high school, there was this senior named Jeremy Snow and this sophomore named Sam Atkins. Sam had been spreading rumors that Jeremy was gay, so Jeremy drove Sam out into the country, shot him and ran him over with his truck. (Jeremy already owned the gun but Wal-Mart got in trouble for selling him the ammo because he was still 17.) I'm curious... if we had taken the gun out of the hands of Jeremy, would he have just let Sam spread the gay rumors? Would he have stabbed him and ran him over with his truck? Would he have strangled him and ran him over with his truck?

Professur

Legal guns are very often used in crimes and most guns used in crimes originated as legally sold items. Just sayin'. We should probably be accurate.

This is true. It should also be noted that anyone who took highschool machine shop can build a gun in their basement with a $400 mini-mill from harbor freight (no license required). Anyone who seriously wants a firearm will have one. All the laws in the world only serve to limit law abiding people. Criminal who can't legally get guns will get them illegally. Impulse violence will continue to use whatever's at hand.

It bears repeating that the UK, with some of the most harsh anti-gun laws is now considering banning pointy knives .... since banning guns did nothing to alleviate the violence. Odd that people with or without guns still want to hurt and kill others. Maybe the guns have fuck all to do with it.

spike

Gotholic

It never ceases to amaze me how foolish people can be who support gun control. I would think that those who do support it are ignorant of history. So, with a little search I have provided some data below.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.
—————————–
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
——————————
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated’ people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
—————————–
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson Source: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776. Papers 1:353

What I do not understand is why we even have permits for gun ownership. If owning a gun is a right, not a privilege, then why must one have permission?

Professur

I'd be curious what the statistics on murder are before and after the guns ban.

It's worth noting that the UK has far less murders per capita than the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Looks like you have approximately 1/3 the murders. :shrug:

There's a huge body of statistics I'd want to see before accepting that gun control is an overall improvement. Requiring education and testing ... even regular range certification would be something I'd embrace, tho. Take the stupid out of the equations. But inflicting restrictions on people who've evidenced no intention to do wrong ... is wrong.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Responsible gun owners have their firearms correctly stowed away, unloaded and in a different location than the bullets.

:rofl4:

A gun that is not immediately accessible is useless. One that is not fully prepared to shoot is a hammer. Unchambered bullets are metal rocks.

According to your post up a couple, that was two fewer successful crimes. That's a win in my book.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What I do not understand is why we even have permits for gun ownership. If owning a gun is a right, not a privilege, then why must one have permission?

Do you know what pain in the ass it is to shop by cash only? There is not one permission slip with my name on it. I have the right & the obligation to arm myself for my own protection, the government be damned.

Cerise

:rofl4:

A gun that is not immediately accessible is useless. One that is not fully prepared to shoot is a hammer. Unchambered bullets are metal rocks.

According to your post up a couple, that was two fewer successful crimes. That's a win in my book.

;)

Goudy: Now is it not true that you sprang up on old man Wharton and his two sons with a deadly, six shot revolver in your hand?
Rooster Cogburn: I always try to be ready.
Goudy: Was this revolver loaded and cocked?
Rooster Cogburn: Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.

Gotholic

Gotholic, someone has already written an interesting response to that list. Check it out.

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/gunsorxp.htm

Well, spike, half or more of that article was a tripe against Christianity. It is funny how you must try to have some kind of anti-Christian drivel in all the debate threads. In this case, the anti-Christian talk in that article has nothig to do with the topic at hand. That said, the author of that article claims most of those people in the situations I listed did have guns but lost the battle against tyranny. However, the author does not cite any instance of a violent uprising using guns against the tyrannical governments listed.

spike

Well, spike, half or more of that article was a tripe against Christianity. It is funny how you must try to have some kind of anti-Christian drivel in all the debate threads. In this case, the anti-Christian talk in that article has nothig to do with the topic at hand. That said, the author of that article claims most of those people in the situations I listed did have guns but lost the battle against tyranny. However, the author does not cite any instance of a violent uprising using guns against the tyrannical governments listed.

Gotholic, when I went to check the first claim about the Soviet Union that page came up. I admit I did find the fact that they were working out the number of deaths caused by christianity to be entertaining though.

But he does point out fairly well that your list is more than a little misleading.

Gotholic

Gotholic, when I went to check the first claim about the Soviet Union that page came up. I admit I did find the fact that they were working out the number of deaths caused by christianity to be entertaining though.

But he does point out fairly well that your list is more than a little misleading.

I do not see how the list is misleading. Tyrants exert their power after they take away people's arms. How many Jews shot an SS guard so they would not be taken to the concentration camps?

Would you rather have people go down fighting or down like cattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.