Clean up your own backyard first

markjs

Banned
I realize jimpeel that you are intelectually challenged, but the truth is the truth regardless. My way works, yours doesn't and that is a proven fact. I never said a damn thing about encouraging anything. Abstinence should be encourgaed, but when the education they get is "abstinence only" sex is more rampant, and pregnancy and STDs are more common. There is no getting around the facts no matter how much your bullshit agenda wants to....

Why I waste my ttime arguing with guys like you is sometimes a mystery even to me. No amount of reality makes adifference.

spike

Abstinence is the only proven way of preventing STDs and pregnancy 100% of the time.

And teaching abstinence only has been proven not to be effective.

So why not include a pack of cigarettes with every package of condoms? After all, they are going to smoke anyway

Not everyone who has sex smokes, so that doesn't make any sense. Also giving people cigarettes does not encourage a more responsible way to get nicotine.

You might want to compare handing out condoms to handing out nicotine gum or something that actually relates. Same goes for your booze and drug references. They don't work. Just use some logic.

Cerise

libertyclinton.jpg

What did Mrs. Clintoon say to the Slickster about his lack of abstinence?

Oh yeah.

I could hardly breathe. Gasping for air, I stood crying and yelling at him. 'What do you mean? Why did you do it to me?

jimpeel

I realize jimpeel that you are intelectually challenged, but the truth is the truth regardless. My way works, yours doesn't and that is a proven fact. I never said a damn thing about encouraging anything. Abstinence should be encourgaed, but when the education they get is "abstinence only" sex is more rampant, and pregnancy and STDs are more common. There is no getting around the facts no matter how much your bullshit agenda wants to....

Why I waste my ttime arguing with guys like you is sometimes a mystery even to me. No amount of reality makes adifference.

First of all, your link is to an article from the American Psychology Association and what they have to do with sex education is beyond me. You might want to read their MISSION STATEMENT.

Based on over 15 years of research, the evidence shows that comprehensive sexuality education programs for youth that encourage abstinence, promote appropriate condom use, and teach sexual communication skills reduce HIV-risk behavior and also delay the onset of sexual intercourse.

Research shows that one in five adolescents will have sex before the age of 15 and most who continue to be sexually active do not use condoms consistently. Although some youth acknowledge their fears about HIV/AIDS, many do not perceive themselves to be at risk and lack accurate information about what circumstances put them at risk for HIV infection. According to the CDC, the use of condoms can substantially reduce the risk of HIV.

Perhaps you should read what the NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH has to say.

Scientific Evidence on Condom Effectiveness for Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Prevention

The Problem and the Process

Primary prevention of STD infection is an important health priority. Unfortunately there are no STD vaccines, except for hepatitis B vaccine, and topical microbicides to prevent STDs are not available. Beyond mutual lifelong monogamy among uninfected couples, condom-use is the only method for reducing the risk of HIV infection and STDs available to sexually active individuals.

Recently, a number of Federal agencies sponsored a workshop to answer the following question: "What is the scientific evidence on the effectiveness of latex male condom-use to prevent STD transmission during vaginal intercourse?"

Conclusions on STDs Transmitted by Genital Secretions

The published data documenting effectiveness of the male condom were strongest for HIV. The Panel concluded that, based on a meta-analysis of published studies “always” users of the male condom significantly reduced the risk of HIV infection in men and women. These data provided strong evidence for the effectiveness of condoms in preventing HIV transmission in both men and women who engage in vaginal intercourse.

The Panel also concluded that the consistency of findings across four epidemiological studies of gonorrhea indicated that the latex male condom could reduce the risk of gonorrhea for men.

The strongest evidence for potential effectiveness of condoms on other STDs transmitted by genital secretions (i.e. gonorrhea in women, chlamydial infection and trichomoniasis) was the laboratory-based studies on the properties of the male latex condom and the strength of the evidence for condom use reducing the risk of HIV transmission in men and women and gonorrhea in men. The Panel concluded, however, that because of limitations in study designs there was insufficient evidence from the epidemiological studies on these diseases to draw definite conclusions about the effectiveness of the latex male condom in reducing the transmission of these diseases.

SEE THE TABLE ON PAGE 7

(Pay partrcular attention to the part about

Condom used, No break, No visibly detectable holes, but still passes virus 6 x 10-6 ml × .023 0.00000004 -- j)

Conclusions

Condom use in the U.S. has increased over the past 20 years. Recent studies conducted in the U.S. show condom breakage rates during use to be in the range of 0.4% to 2.3%, with comparable rates for slippage. Use factors such as experience, condom size, and use of lubricant can affect condom slippage and breakage.

Conclusions

The methodological strength of the studies on condoms to reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission far exceeds that for other STDs. There is demonstrated exposure to HIV/AIDS through sexual intercourse with a regular partner (with an absence of other HIV/AIDS risk factors). Longitudinal studies of HIV- sexual partners of HIV+ infected cases allow for the estimation of HIV/AIDS incidence among condom users and condom non-users. From the two incidence estimates, consistent condom use decreased the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 85%. These data provide strong evidence for the effectiveness of condoms for reducing sexually transmitted HIV.

So in case you are not willing to do the numbers, that last paragraph may as well have included the sentence:

From the two incidence estimates, consistent condom use ALLOWED the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission by approximately 15%.

jimpeel

And teaching abstinence only has been proven not to be effective.

Not everyone who has sex smokes, so that doesn't make any sense. Also giving people cigarettes does not encourage a more responsible way to get nicotine.

You might want to compare handing out condoms to handing out nicotine gum or something that actually relates. Same goes for your booze and drug references. They don't work. Just use some logic.

The logic was to lampoon the "They're gonna do it anyway" lament. Taken to its furthest extension, why not simply enable other behaviors in a like fashion?

spike

The logic was to lampoon the "They're gonna do it anyway" lament. Taken to its furthest extension, why not simply enable other behaviors in a like fashion?

So compare something that's in a like fashion then. They're not handing out sex.

markjs

Banned
Oh by all means anyone who doen't marry one person who is a virgin and isn't completely monogomous for their whole life obviously deserves AIDS, so reducing the risk is just tantamount to encouraging immorality....

My god, whenever I read your posts it always makes me think Ren said it best about guys like you....

jimpeel

libertyclinton.jpg

What did Mrs. Clintoon say to the Slickster about his lack of abstinence?

Oh yeah.

It was more likely "You stupid son-of-a-bitch!!! How could you not only get caught boffing your cock whore; but you managed to get caught publicly still one more time!! When are you going to learn to keep your dick in your pants?!?!? Now I'm going to have to get you out of still one more bimbo eruption with some trailer trash whore! Thanks a lot you stupid bastard!!"

jimpeel

Oh by all means anyone who doen't marry one person who is a virgin and isn't completely monogomous for their whole life obviously deserves AIDS, so reducing the risk is just tantamount to encouraging immorality....

Oh, yeah, I remember saying that ... um ... um ... Oh, yeah ...

NEVER!!!

Apparently you need to put false words in other people's posts.

jimpeel

So compare something that's in a like fashion then. They're not handing out sex.

That works; although, conversely, handing out cigarettes is not handing out smoking; drugs are not handing out a high; and booze is not handing out drunkenness. All of these things do require their use, not simply their possession.

spike

So handing out condoms is giving something that makes a pleasurable act pretty much harmless.

So you would need to compare it to maybe handing out something that you could put on a cigarette that would make it not bad for you.

jimpeel

So handing out condoms is giving something that makes a pleasurable act pretty much harmless.

So you would need to compare it to maybe handing out something that you could put on a cigarette that would make it not bad for you.

A good argument. Abstinence, however, doesn't require anything to make the experience harmless and also requires no condom; unless you are trying to jack off in some sanitary manner or have a latex fetish. :grinyes:

jimpeel

so the abstinence only arguement is like...

gun law arguments if no-one can have them, no one gets shot. ;)

There was never anything said about someone who is celibate not being allowed to possess condoms so the comparison to firearms is specious. If they remain celibate, no one gets fucked.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
A good argument. Abstinence, however, doesn't require anything to make the experience harmless and also requires no condom; unless you are trying to jack off in some sanitary manner or have a latex fetish. :grinyes:

but there is no experience. so it does not make the experience safe, it makes it non-existant, and there is a drive in humans that make us want to have sex.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
There was never anything said about someone who is celibate not being allowed to possess condoms so the comparison to firearms is specious. If they remain celibate, no one gets fucked.

well are you given a gun and told not to use it ever, or are you taught gun safety? Men have penises, women have vaginas. Teach kids that abstinance is best, but teach them to be safe as well.

jimpeel

but there is no experience. so it does not make the experience safe, it makes it non-existant, and there is a drive in humans that make us want to have sex.

Totally correct. The top three drives are:
  • Self preservation
  • Species preservation
  • Species propagation

catocom

well are you given a gun and told not to use it ever, or are you taught gun safety? Men have penises, women have vaginas. Teach kids that abstinance is best, but teach them to be safe as well.

I don't think there's a law of nature that says every scenario has to use the
same logic.

I don't compare the two things in any way to the subject.