Clean up your own backyard first

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
well are you given a gun and told not to use it ever, or are you taught gun safety? Men have penises, women have vaginas. Teach kids that abstinance is best, but teach them to be safe as well.

lil Johnny, if you use that at the improper time, your life will be planned for the next 18 years. You will be responsible for the life of another. Every action, and inaction, will result in a lesson being taught. YOu will have no privacy & virtually no life since you chose to give it over to aother.

Don't do it.

In you do, these might make all the previous null & void.

Yep. there's a good argument.

spike

A good argument. Abstinence, however, doesn't require anything to make the experience harmless and also requires no condom; unless you are trying to jack off in some sanitary manner or have a latex fetish. :grinyes:

Right, but teaching abstinence doesn't work and sex is pretty harmless and a lot of fun if done responsibly. :D

markjs

Banned
As the evidence clearly shows, what is most effective is advocating abstinence, yet educating fullly. Teach them that they should be abstinent and why, then teach them how to be safer if they are not abstinent, and give them access to what they need to be safer, if they do make that choice. Is there really a problem with that? The facts show it to be the most effective approach.

It might not hurt to have HIV infected people, and former, or current teenage mothers, help talk to them. There usually are people willing to help others not to make the mistakes they did.

markjs

Banned
My overall point is that the truth, and by that I mean the whole truth, is what the kids need to make informed decisions.

It's just like drug education. Around here we have folks from AA and NA (I am one of them) that go to schools and talk to kids and tell our stories, and yes it involves telling them about the fact that drugs and alcohol are fun at first, and why they can be so seductive, but following that with the ugly truth of what they will so to your life when you bedcome an addict. It works it really does.

A lot of the kids still do it, but at least when they have the truth and I mean all of it, I think they are more inclined to make a better decision, and if they don't, then at least they know what is happening and what they can do for help if they develop a problem.

jimpeel

It might not hurt to have HIV infected people, and former, or current teenage mothers, help talk to them. There usually are people willing to help others not to make the mistakes they did.

A "Scared Straight" scenario for sexual behavior?

markjs

Banned
OK, so let them have none of the facts and yet let them still make those same decisons?!? That's what you sre suggesting whether you understand it or not. Fact is like it or not they will make those decsions with or without the facts, and/or knowlege of the possible consequences of their decisons. If they didn't there would be no teen drug problem, no teen pregnancy problem, and no teen STD problem.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Teach children biology. Teach children what makes babies. Teach children, preach to children, that abstinence is the only sure fire method of not becomeing a parent. Teach children that STDs cannot be spread by keeping it in their pants.

Don't smoke.
But if you do, here's a lighter.

spike

Teach children biology. Teach children what makes babies. Teach children, preach to children, that abstinence is the only sure fire method of not becomeing a parent. Teach children that STDs cannot be spread by keeping it in their pants.

Don't smoke.
But if you do, here's a lighter.

Teaching abstinence only has been proven a failure.

Don't smoke.
But if you do, here's something that makes it harmless.

That's a much closer analogy.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I wouldn't call it harmless, but safer for sure.

Give the kids access to ALL the information push abstinence all you want but let those kids who are not going to be abstinent know the real dangers and the ways to make it safer.

I know a bunch of you are anti-abortion, and anti-welfare etc. Teaching a few kids about condoms will in the end decrease abortions and young mothers who get hooked into the welfare system.

Like my momma always said, if you can't be good, be careful, and if you can't be careful, name it after me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Teaching abstinence only has been proven a failure..

1960 or 2000....which had the higher number of out of wedlock birthrate? Which had the higher incidence of STDs. Which had more STDs?

Abstinence works every time it's tried.

Paul said:
Teaching a few kids about condoms will in the end decrease abortions and young mothers who get hooked into the welfare system

Do you have evidence to back that up or are the 1.3 million annual abortions evidence enough?

jimpeel

What possible objection do you have to this?

It was an observation, not an objection. A mere modicum of observation on your part would have revealed that; or are you completely unfamiliar with the "Scared straight" program?