fury

dan

i could see something offensive about posting huge diatribes all in caps... but single lines with a :grumpy: stuck on the end? it's cute...

Scanty

whats the problem with only having 1 logo? its the same difference. personal preference.

It's not personal preference. Personal preference would be choice. Choice allows personal preference. If you take away the choice, there is no personal preference except for the personal preference to have no choice.

Plus, no one's personal preference is used in enforcing a rule, except the person who enforced that rule. So your personal preference is therefore our tough luck.

You didn't answer my question. Can you even explain why using all caps is such a big deal?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
it just doesnt matter, any decision i make is gonna piss someone off. So i made the one that i felt would be the less affected by the site.

unclehobart

I was trying out a new board for a few days that had 5000+ members.. albiet most were very young. They ran things with an unholy iron fist. They used a 30 point to banning system. 5 points for advertising. 7 points for insubordination. 2 points for attempting to post twice in a row. 10 points for cursing. Needless to say, I didn't last more than 3 days there after I was docked 2 points for a crime that they wouldn't elaborate on. I asked about it, simple clarification, and was threatend with 10 more points for insubordination/PM abuse to a mod ... I mean... holy damn that was rough and unreasonably unfair. The whole system was set up to control the antics of a small handfull and ended up being used as a hammer to chase people into rabbit holes. I was almost banned on day 2 for daring to ask 2 questions in a row in a newbie help thread. Talk about a welcome greeting. I have now left that board convinced that it is a dying beast going in a very ill direction. I only had 74 posts over there and yet managed to get into the top 5% of posters out of 5400. That should have been a red flag right out of the starting gate.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
see we do allow so much more than any other boards out there.
If we were so bad people wouldnt come back.

Scanty

That board he is talking about is the scum of scum. You don't get credit for being better than pond life.

it just doesnt matter, any decision i make is gonna piss someone off. So i made the one that i felt would be the less affected by the site.

the decision that would less effect everyone would just be to ignore it.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Personally, I don't think that one or two liners in caps is a big deal. For whoreable, it's his character and I actually like it! Along with the grumpy face... makes me laugh almost every time.

I think (my opinion only) that it's a personality clash with the wrong people and control is the issue. Just my opinion.

Scanty

there is simply no need for this stupid rule, which makes no one's life any better... why have it.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I mean really. Sure, I like whoreable most of the time, most of the time, he's got a great sense of humor, but lately, he's just gotten insulting. "OTC can eat my shit" That's going too far.

Scanty

PuterTutor said:
How about because he owns the site and can do whatever he pleases?

I'm not arguing that. He can do whatever he pleases. And I should be able to speak out against whatever I please. If that's not the case then, well I guess I'll go.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
oh come on, don't make such a big deal out of it. i wasn't supposed to be annoyed about the caps in the first place, so why even bother about the lower-case now?

Scanty

And I'm just not offended by 'OTC can eat my shit' or anything like it....I don't know why. Maybe I have nerves of steel or something.

PT

I guess that stuff just bothers me a little more. The whole new forum thing, the pages where i get the privelege of looking at a pile of shit, that's all going too far in my opinion. If you want to protest, protest. But he is simply trying to insult and aggravate, which he has accomplished, and now has to pay the penalty he has reaped.

On a side note, after giving it more thought, the capital letter thing is a bit odd, we have at least one mod here that posts exclusively in lower case, without capatilizing anything. Isn't that just as offensive as all caps?

Scanty

Shadowfax said:
oh come on, don't make such a big deal out of it. i wasn't supposed to be annoyed about the caps in the first place, so why even bother about the lower-case now?

I knew someone would try and use that argument.

I'm not bothered about the lower case letters, shadow. That's not my argument. I'm not campaigning for capital letters and i'm not campaigning against lower case ones. It's still the same deal. The rule has been enforced because of this problem with capital lettering...and that's what i can't understand. So far no one has offered an explanation of why using capitals is so bad.
I'm simply arguing for the choice, not one way or another.

unclehobart

Im seeing that the problem is with whoreable being a one trick pony type of joke poster that has worn thin with some ...not the caps. The caps are just the tangible attack point to take the wind out of his sails.

Scanty

I don't even care about whoreable. It's just the whole thing about people getting even slightly offended by some stupid shit that just doesn't matter. If someone told me that this decision was based on the fact that people kept having heart attacks whenever they saw whoreable's posts, then there's your reason. But this seems to be another case of people just making up rules against some silly behaviour which they've convinced themselves is distressing enough to justify the action.

dan

i agree, it's not really the caps or whatever, it's the unilateral decison that grates.

sam, i have no doubt, invests significant time and resources into this site, and for that there's a huge bucketload of respect...

but... i have to worry... from what i've seen in this thread there's actually no good reason to do the caps thing, just some thought in someone's head that it's a good thing to do.

for better or worse, this is a community, and that's what makes this site what it is. yes, the technology behind it helps mediate the communication, but without the people here it's nothing.

i'd personally rather see a social solution to this "problem" than a technological one... after all, being social is what this site is about, isn't it?

PT

By social do you mean asking him politely to quit? That's been done. Do you mean asking him not-so-politely to quit? that's been done too.