Gay prom date banned

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Geez. I leave for a few days and now my ranting has pushed another lost soul into JJR512... :D

Gato_Solo

To put the bee back in 's bonnet... :D

Originally posted by
No, lets argue.

First, as a gay man I happen to have plenty of knowledge on this particular issue. More so then I think you would.

Try being a part of the one group almost everybody hates. I can think of no other group that has less rights then homosexuals.

For example:

We can't get married.
If you're religious it's hard to find a church that will accept you. (Isn't that why the kid had to go to court in the first place?)

1. Placing homosexuality on the same level as racism has some merit, but you cannot compare the two. If you don't tell anyone your sexual orientation, then how would you be discriminated against? I can't hide my differences. Most folks don't care about yours until you bring it up.

2. You can always start your own church. That's what other folks do when the 'mainstream' religions do not accept them. That way, you can get married, in a church, and get over your feelings of 'non-acceptance'. Please don't tell me you can't do it. History is full of people who did.

kuulani

You see how you are :p

[oops ... this comment is in regards to Gato's post about pushing people to Justin's site - I didn't see the second page]

[b]

Originally posted by Gato_Solo 1. Placing homosexuality on the same level as racism has some merit, but you cannot compare the two. If you don't tell anyone your sexual orientation, then how would you be discriminated against? I can't hide my differences. Most folks don't care about yours until you bring it up.

Homophobia and racism are on the same level. Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. Just because it may be easier for someone to hide their sexuality doesn't make discrimination any less so. You could hide your race if you really wanted to. Sure, it might take a lot of time and makeup, but they do it in movies all the time. It takes the same decision to hide your race as it does your sexuality. You have to give up your individuality and hide who you truly are.

Many people think that it's so easy for gay people to act "straight". For some, yes. But others want to be out and proud. They want to dress and act how they feel. It's no different then a religious person wearing clothing that indicates what god they worship, an Irish person wearing a "Kiss me I'm Irish" button, a black person wearing African garb, Goth kids dressing in all black, or punk kids with lib spikes. These people all want the same thing. To be recognized for who they are and what they believe in. They dress so that people will know that and in hopes they might find others who share those same beliefs.

Most people consider me "straight" acting. I hate that. I don't want to be labeled as being something I'm not. I'm me. I have many gay pride stickers on my car and a shirt that reads, "Lets get one thing straight, I'm not." I do this to show people that I'm not the least bit afraid of what they think. I will not be held down by people who would rather I hide myself in order to gain their acceptance then be my friend otherwise. I am also "out" in hopes that I will meet other gay people. There is a bit of a lifestyle to being gay. Especially right now. We have to do some many things different in order to get along in the world, it helps to have support of people who have been there or are going through what you're going through.

If we hide ourselves from straight people, then we hide ourselves from each other.

Originally posted by Gato_Solo 2. You can always start your own church. That's what other folks do when the 'mainstream' religions do not accept them. That way, you can get married, in a church, and get over your feelings of 'non-acceptance'. Please don't tell me you can't do it. History is full of people who did.

History is also full of people who were burned at the stake or cruelly tortured when they strayed from mainstream religions. Not that I haven't started my own church. I have. But I don't call it a church and I don't worship a god. As a matter of fact, I'm the only member. But if you're interested you can join.

Homosexuals have commitment ceremonies already but they're not legal. What good is a new fangled gay church with no respect going to do? Besides, at this point I'm sure one already exists.

kuulani

Originally posted by
Homophobia and racism are on the same level. Discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. Just because it may be easier for someone to hide their sexuality doesn't make discrimination any less so. You could hide your race if you really wanted to. Sure, it might take a lot of time and makeup, but they do it in movies all the time. It takes the same decision to hide your race as it does your sexuality. You have to give up your individuality and hide who you truly are.

This is true. People assume I'm Native American, Samoan, Filipino, or Mexican. Ignorant people don't take the time to learn who you really are.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ku'u, while that statement is a whole lot closer to the truth thanyou may realize, in it's spirit, many people take offense to being asked their heritage/race. This is a no win situation.

[b]

Gonz...You're completely right on that. There have been many times I've wanted to ask somebody what their heritage was but didn't because I was afraid I would offend them.

I wonder...are people touchy because they think I should know what race they are without asking, or because they are afraid I might have some intention of harming them?

Either way kinda sucks. Seems to put a hamper on cultural exchanges.

sbcanada

I dislike gayness, but I do get along with gay people. I am willing to talk to them like any other person unless they start getting all gay on me and start hitting on me. :lol:

MitchSchaft

lol. I also believe being homo is wrong. Inately, morally, whatever. But, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna talk to that person. Plus, lesbians are cool all around, even though it's wrong:D.

Q

Originally posted by Anakin
I dislike gayness, but I do get along with gay people. I am willing to talk to them like any other person unless they start getting all gay on me and start hitting on me. :lol:
I think, as a rule, gay people usually only hit on people they think (or know) are gay. Somethin' you're not telling us sb?

sbcanada

Originally posted by *Q*
Originally posted by Anakin
I think, as a rule, gay people usually only hit on people they think (or know) are gay. Somethin' you're not telling us sb?

Tell you the truth, I've never known any gay people in person (for all I know.. ;) ). I usually meet them on ICQ, or what have you. They know I'm a guy, and I tell them I'm not gay, but they usually talk about sick gay stuff and I'm like I don't go for that sort of thing, shutup. :D

I believe homosexuality is morally wrong, and that's a part of my religion. Even if I had no religion, I still think it's nasty. :D

freako104

i think gays should have the same rights and respect as straights. as i have said in a thread on jjr512, i dont agree with the lifestyle and dont understand it but i see them as humans. and i have gay friends who know im straight and instead look at it sa im a friend and thast all ill ever be to them and they are respectful and dont flirt at all with me although i tend to get hit on more by bisexual women. but i wont complain about that :D

Gato_Solo

Originally posted by
Originally posted by Gato_Solo 1. Placing homosexuality on the same level as racism has some merit, but you cannot compare the two. If you don't tell anyone your sexual orientation, then how would you be discriminated against? I can't hide my differences. Most folks don't care about yours until you bring it up.

Many people think that it's so easy for gay people to act "straight". For some, yes. But others want to be out and proud. They want to dress and act how they feel. It's no different then a religious person wearing clothing that indicates what god they worship, an Irish person wearing a "Kiss me I'm Irish" button, a black person wearing African garb, Goth kids dressing in all black, or punk kids with lib spikes. These people all want the same thing. To be recognized for who they are and what they believe in. They dress so that people will know that and in hopes they might find others who share those same beliefs.

Most people consider me "straight" acting. I hate that. I don't want to be labeled as being something I'm not. I'm me. I have many gay pride stickers on my car and a shirt that reads, "Lets get one thing straight, I'm not." I do this to show people that I'm not the least bit afraid of what they think. I will not be held down by people who would rather I hide myself in order to gain their acceptance then be my friend otherwise. I am also "out" in hopes that I will meet other gay people. There is a bit of a lifestyle to being gay. Especially right now. We have to do some many things different in order to get along in the world, it helps to have support of people who have been there or are going through what you're going through.

If we hide ourselves from straight people, then we hide ourselves from each other.

Originally posted by Gato_Solo 2. You can always start your own church. That's what other folks do when the 'mainstream' religions do not accept them. That way, you can get married, in a church, and get over your feelings of 'non-acceptance'. Please don't tell me you can't do it. History is full of people who did.

History is also full of people who were burned at the stake or cruelly tortured when they strayed from mainstream religions. Not that I haven't started my own church. I have. But I don't call it a church and I don't worship a god. As a matter of fact, I'm the only member. But if you're interested you can join.

Homosexuals have commitment ceremonies already but they're not legal. What good is a new fangled gay church with no respect going to do? Besides, at this point I'm sure one already exists.

All the same...I never said anything about 'acting straight'. Doesn't matter whether you do or not. How easy is it, though, for me to appear white? Aside from the dubious medical pathway (Michael Jackson), there is nothing I can do to change my appearance. Fact is...it's none of my business what goes on in your bedroom...just as it's none of your business what goes on in mine. No matter what you come up with as a comparison, it just won't be enough. Keep your mouth shut, and people don't know your sexual orientation. Period. Anything else is belittling to those of us who have had to struggle in the past. How many people do you know, gay or straight, who have been kept from a public place because of who they were? I was 4 and was barred from a public pool because of my race. I still remember that incident to this day, and it marked me. You can still see some vestiges of 'Jim Crow' in the South on some of the older buildings...and the signs don't say 'Gay' and 'Straight'...and you say you are discriminated against. You don't know what discrimination is until you open your mouth. Your argument is flawed from that point on.

Now for the religion...How many people today are burned at the stake for starting a religion? (Don't include David Koresch, who fired upon government agents) I say it again...you don't like todays religious system, start your own. Your argument there was a cop-out. Most religions started out with no respect. Early Christians were regularly, and actively, killed in ancient Rome, or did you forget that aspect? Same for early Muslims and Jews. Those religions were, in their respective beginnings, thought to be made up of kooks and wierdos. They paid a heavy price to become what they are today, and you seem to forget that fact as well. You want to live and worship where you are accepted, then you must pay a price. If you aren't willing to make the sacrifice, then you shouldn't try to 'force' those who have to accept you.

MitchSchaft

So, I wonder if I can come up with excuses as to why murder should be right... I can't because it's wrong I guess.
Homo and race issues are so different. You can't compare them, mr. B.

[b]

All the same...I never said anything about 'acting straight'

In all fairness, you've never actually said gay people should act straight. But what you do say all points to that conclusion. Gay people should, "keep their mouths shut" and we shouldn't shove homosexuality in peoples faces. The more I read your replies, the stronger I get the impression you wouldn't care if the whole world was gay, just so long as you didn't have to know about it.

Ignorance is not bliss.

For me not to tell people I'm gay, for me not to hold my boyfriend's hand in public, for me not to say, "Honey, do we need milk?" while we are at the grocery store would all lead people to believe I was straight. That's the default, that's what's normal right? Being straight? If nobody ever knows I'm gay, then I'm acting straight. Simple as that.

You say that anything besides keeping our mouths shut is belittling to those that have struggled for equality in the past. You say that I don't know what discrimination is because there aren't gay and straight water fountains, or because I don't get made to sit at the back of the bus, or because I wasn't banned from a public pool.

Yet you're the one telling me that I need to keep my mouth shut. You're the one telling me I should hide my sexuality because you don't think it's right. And you say I don't know what discrimination is...ha! You don't want to see what you're doing as discrimination because you don't want to be wrong. You don't want to be a part of the same group of people that discriminated against you. Well you are. The moment you tell me I can't do something you can do equals discrimination. The moment you tell me to keep my mouth shut you oppress me.

It's almost as if you're jealous that I can hide being gay and therefore avoid the discrimination you feel you've been subject to because it's not as easy for you to hide your race. Seems kinda ironic that gay people choose to out themselves and subject themselves to public ridicule and discrimination when we could so easily avoid all of that. I wonder why we do that? Is it because we are making the sacrifices you don't think we're willing to make? I think so.

It's you who belittles the struggles of those in the past by telling me to keep my mouth shut. Every black person that fought for freedom could of kept his mouth shut and remained a slave. The whole world could of kept it's mouth shut and let the Jews be exterminated. And I'm sure there are plenty of times you could kept your mouth shut to avoid some of the problems you've had in your life.

So no, I will not keep quiet. I will continue to fight for equal, not special, treatment of all members of the human race.

Fact is...it's none of my business what goes on in your bedroom...just as it's none of your business what goes on in mine.

What does me telling somebody I'm gay got to do with what goes on in my bedroom? I know people who are gay who have never had gay sex. I don't know any gay people who go up and say, "Hello, my name is Bob, I'm gay and last night my boyfriend plowed me up the ass."

Me knowing that you're straight doesn't tell me what you and your boyfriend do in the bedroom. The two of you might have the world's most vanilla sex, or maybe you like to dress up in a French maid outfit and spank him with a paddle. I don't know and I don't care. As you've stated, it's nobody's business.

To equate telling somebody that they're gay with automatically telling them what they do in their bedroom is silly. I can't recall a single time I've ever given details about what I do in the bedroom to a straight person. But I've heard plenty of straight people talk about what they do.

As for the religious aspect...why don't you reread what I've already posted. I have started my own religion. I even offered you the ability to join if you like. Actually, it's more a philosophy, a way of life, then a god worshiping religion. Call it what you like, I've already done it.

My statement that people were burned at the stake for disagreeing with religious dogma is not a cop-out and is still valid today. Maybe not in practice, but in theory. Gay people get beat up and killed for being gay just like Jews got beat up and killed for being Jews, just like Christians got beat up and killed for being Christians.

Just because the methods are different doesn't mean the thought behind them isn't the same.

Originally posted by MitchSchaft
So, I wonder if I can come up with excuses as to why murder should be right... I can't because it's wrong I guess.
Homo and race issues are so different. You can't compare them, mr. B.

Are you comparing finding an excuse for murder to be ok with trying to find an excuse for homosexuality to be ok? Now those are two issues that are so far from each other you can't compare them.

Discrimination against race, religion, gender, age, sexuality or any number of other reasons can all be equally compared.

1. Homo has become a derogatory form of the word homosexual, just like nigger is a derogatory from of the word negro.

2. My job is in an accounts receivable department. I work on the phones all day. Nobody I talk to has any idea what I or any of the people I work with look like.

One of the ladies that I work with relayed this story to me.

A local customer used to call in and would only talk with her because he hated black people. Every time he would call in he would only ask for her and wouldn't speak with any of the black people in our office. One day they transferred this lady to an office that customers could come into. Lo and behold in walks this gentleman to visit the one lady he's worked with for several years.

Imagine his surprise when he found out she was black. He threw a fit. Told her that she wasn't who she claimed to be and stormed out of the office. He never spoke to her again. After all those years she helped him, after all of the nice things he had said to her, he let the one thing she kept secret destroy all of that.

She had done what Gato thinks I should do. She had kept her mouth shut and what good did it do her? The moment she was found out she was discriminated against.

3. Did you know that homosexuals were one of the first groups rounded up by the Nazis? Even before the rounding up of Jews, gays were forced to wear pink triangles on their sleeves and were rounded up and forced into concentration camps or killed.

So don't tell me it's not the same. Hate is hate. Discrimination is discrimination. It's all pointless.