Gonz, SnP, and others who don't like what we're becoming...

Professur

Gato_Solo said:
Dude...it's 400 acres, and already has luxury housing pre-built. If prof and unc weren't so hung up on their 'stuff'...well...everything they mentioned except the brewing operation :D, the price wouldn't be as high. ;)

Oh...and unc...I think a nice solar and wind combo would work best...no need to keep running back to the mainland for fuel. :grinno:

*shakes head*

Gawd, do you people need help. 400 acres? I've been in shops bigger than that.

For power ..... Tidal generators. The wind might blow, the sun might shine, but the tide never stops.

And for brewing .... You're bringing a Canadian trained Scot. You have my personal guarantee that we'll have a profitable export by Q4.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
unclehobart said:
Still... its a far cry from the free and easy AM gold radio days of the 70's.

:rofl4:

Anyway...The coast of Thailand/Indonesia is also rife with Muslim seperatists, who have a penchant for kidnapping tourists. Same with the Philippines. Fiji is better, and the best is the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. I'd rather deal with the occasional drug-runner, who's probably being pursued by the USCG, than a criminal intent on stripping you of any and all funds they can get. ;)

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
*shakes head*

Gawd, do you people need help. 400 acres? I've been in shops bigger than that.

For power ..... Tidal generators. The wind might blow, the sun might shine, but the tide never stops.

And for brewing .... You're bringing a Canadian trained Scot. You have my personal guarantee that we'll have a profitable export by Q4.

Tidal generators are also notoriously prone to failure. 400 acres, while small by your standards, is large for a 'luxury' island.

Professur

I've never seen a tidal generator fail. The only failure point is caused by sand. Properly installed, sand doesn't get to the turbine. 400 acres might be large for a hotel island with everything brought in by boat on a weekly basis. For a self reliant community, it's woefully inadaquate. Especially if you're planning on retaining the local ecosystem.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
400 acres might be large for a hotel island with everything brought in by boat on a weekly basis. For a self reliant community, it's woefully inadaquate. Especially if you're planning on retaining the local ecosystem.

Depends upon population size, now dunnit? With a small group of around 10 to 20 folks, it's plenty big enough. Did you think we were going to invite the whole world? :lol2:

unclehobart

If we get an island with a diverse selection of naturally bearing fruit, we could end up live mostly on that. I figure that we wouldn't need more than about 5 acres to supplement feed 20 people. There should be a constant growing season within the tropical lattitudes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
:rofl4:

Anyway...The coast of Thailand/Indonesia is also rife with Muslim seperatists, who have a penchant for kidnapping tourists. Same with the Philippines. Fiji is better, and the best is the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. I'd rather deal with the occasional drug-runner, who's probably being pursued by the USCG, than a criminal intent on stripping you of any and all funds they can get. ;)

Weapons, large & small, will be legal. Bring 'em on.

tonksy

unclehobart said:
If we get an island with a diverse selection of naturally bearing fruit, we could end up live mostly on that. I figure that we wouldn't need more than about 5 acres to supplement feed 20 people. There should be a constant growing season within the tropical lattitudes.
all fruit will give you the trots. we can make simple bread like things from crushed grain to accompany our fruit. and then there is fish and shellfish, local game and foliage.....erm...just don't eat the little red berries like those silly blue lagoon kids.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
You're gonna make me do the math, aren't ya?

Not unless you really want to go that route. I'll give you something to think about, though.

How much land does the average human need for support?

About 2 acres. We're not talking all the beef you can eat, here, just how much do you really need. ;)

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
2 acres of Iowa farm quality land maybe.

Doesn't have to be Iowa farm quality. Just arable. Hell...give you four acres, and you can rotate your crops as needed. :rolleyes: Why do you think I'm so against all of the 'modern conveniences' right off the bat? It's not because I'm a luddite...it's because I know how much you have to give up to get that stuff...;)

unclehobart

If we start with a bomb shelter stuffed with 20 pallets of MRE's and beef jerkey to supplement our diets, small scale farming and fishing should suffice for 20 years.

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:
If we start with a bomb shelter stuffed with 20 pallets of MRE's and beef jerkey to supplement our diets, small scale farming and fishing should suffice for 20 years.

Hell. Longer than that. Like I said, most folks don't realize how much we take for granted...If we had to actually farm, or hunt/gather for two weeks a year, I'm pretty sure that there'd be a huge change in attitude for everybody in Europe, North America, and Australia. We've grown soft, and our attitudes have gone soft along with our bodies and minds.

Gato_Solo

abooja said:
Soft, eh? Not a big fan of soft. :lol2:

I am...depends upon the area of softness, though. ;)

tonksy said:
just don't eat the little red berries like those silly blue lagoon kids.

No need to experiment that way. Just watch the monkeys. If they can eat it, we can eat it. ;)

unclehobart

• Approximately 5411 acres of tropical paradise
  • The largest privately owned fee simple island in the South Pacific
  • Natural and abundant pure artesian spring water
  • A complete village with 35 residents (all employees or their families), two room schoolhouse, plantation buildings, loading pier, roads, plantation facilities, owner's residence, manager's residence, 14 employees homes, office, laundry, butcher shop and store;
  • An abundance of tropical vegetation including copra (coconut), Mango, papaya, grapefruit, mandarin, banana, guava, taro, cassava and much more
  • Vehicles, generators, bulldozer, 400+ head of cattle, 16 horses, 300 goats, pigs and other domestic and non-domesticated livestock;
  • A vast interior plain that was once the largest sugar plantation and finest cotton plantation in the South Pacific
  • A protected tropical perimeter lagoon with extensive sea life and magnificent marine resources and a fringe of breathtaking sugar-sand beaches
  • An inland navigable lagoon that provides excellent year-round protection for small vessels
  • Excellent development opportunities including favorable government concessions for tourism development and several superior locations for resort style developments and landing strips
Mago Island is offered on the basin of a freehold transfer of title at a price of US$15 Million. The offering includes all equipment, vehicles, livestock and goodwill.

Fucking hell... Its perfect. Volcanic soil is most excellent, existing meat sources, high ground, space.

spacer.gif