Gonz, SnP, and others who don't like what we're becoming...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
The mere presense of man is gonna toast whatever ecosystem is present. And the food present there might be food, but not necessarily people food. You need to bring in some things to convert the stuff we can't already eat into something we can. But you're right, ixnay the wabbits. But we do need some type of fast breeder and a long chain sugar converter. Humans simply can't digest that with only one stomach. Unless you want to subsist on a mostly fish diet?

Now, *rubs hands* what area are you dreaming of?

Since most of the places I've scoped out I've been to the area, if not the island, I can assure you that I can find food that is edible and nutritious. As for the mere presence of man, that's not it. The fact that man wants to adapt the environment to him, instead of the other way around, is the problem. Just remember...if I hand you some meat, and you don't know what it is, don't ask. Just eat it, and you'll get your long-chain sugars converted. ;)

BTW...What's wrong with fish?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
abooja said:
Where are we getting the $10 million? There's only so much cash we can generate with a bake sale.

I got a buck thirty-fou...no, thirty-five on me. Y'all take a check for twenty-five? :D

Professur

Already been there. Reptile and rodent meat don't bother me. Neither does anything waterbound. Drank too much thistle and dandylion tea to ever like it, but I'm not dead yet either. Roast bull rush? Not again.

$10 million? I'm guessing thats US?

*goes to increase the missus's insurance policy and let some air outta the right front tire*

Gato_Solo

I've got $900 I can scrounge up pretty fast...You folks have got to come up with more scratch than that. :D

Prof...If you take a close look at those pictures, you'll see 3 things right off.

1. Coconut trees (there's your extra liquids/water when things get dry)
2. Banana trees (flat leaves low to the ground)
3. Mango trees (leaves like an open hand)

I'm sure there are cashew trees there as well (they like acidic/salty soil), and you can eat the fruit as well as the nut. With all that fruit, you're going to have birds, and with birds, there will be reptiles, small mammals, et al. Rats, while a rather greasy meal, are also present because people are there, and, as we all know, 99.999% of people won't eat a rat. That, btw, is also where you get most of your environmental mis-management. Survival is easier than you think. ;)

Professur

Didn't see any pictures.

Fruits and nuts are great, in moderation. A steady diet of them .... Well let's leave it at, you'll have no lack of fertilizer. Birds are harder to catch than rodents. Reptiles living off birds have a nasty habit of being venomous. And with banana trees .... won't that make men pretty redundant?

Survival is easy. I don't want to survive. I want to live, preferrably in some luxury. I want meat. In large chunks. Ever see the Simpsons episode where the school kids are on an island, and they're all eating roast pig while Lisa licks a rock? I'm not signing on to lick rocks.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Didn't see any pictures.

Check the numbers under the picture on the right-hand side of the page. ;)

Professur said:
Fruits and nuts are great, in moderation. A steady diet of them .... Well let's leave it at, you'll have no lack of fertilizer. Birds are harder to catch than rodents. Reptiles living off birds have a nasty habit of being venomous. And with banana trees .... won't that make men pretty redundant?

Not all. Most venemous reptiles...hell...call them what they are...snakes...eat small mammals at a larger rate than birds. And birds are no harder to catch than rodents. The diference is that rodents burrow, while birds fly. Hunt at night...quietly...your eyes adjust to darkness much better than a birds eyes.

One more thing. Bananas have seasons, and when they aren't edible, they're not good for anything else, either. Yes. You can eat green bananas. Just be sure to cook them first.

Professur said:
Survival is easy. I don't want to survive. I want to live, preferrably in some luxury. I want meat. In large chunks. Ever see the Simpsons episode where the school kids are on an island, and they're all eating roast pig while Lisa licks a rock? I'm not signing on to lick rocks.

Depends upon your idea of living. Some folks would call what I described paradise, while others, such as yourself, would call it 'only' surviving. Besides...we're not that far from 'civilization' location-wise. I'm quite sure a man of your stature could row/canoe three to five miles and back for your personal goodies...that is if you don't have them flown in. I think you should read the description. I've thought hard about those emergencies that always crop up...and have no doubts about human nature and the desire to see something new from time to time. Call it revised Darwinism. Just remember the rule about doing unto others.

Before I forget...just having one rule begets an unspoken rule...No lawyers.

unclehobart

I've got some money laying about. Perhaps we can just lease it for a decade or so. ...and I'm with prof... big hunks of meat... nice and Lord of the Flies style ... yum.

Prof, Just because those back-to-nature hippies want to scrape it out with nets and subsistence farming doesn't mean that we all have to. I plan on having a generator, sattelite tv, hottub, deep freezer, and a whole brewing operation.

Gato_Solo

unclehobart said:
Sounds like yer makin' a rule. You must be one o' dem city slicker lawyers.

*eyeballs Gato accusingly*

Just a barracks lawyer....honest...

I just thought of that because lawyers tend to create an aura of rationalization in the scheme of right and wrong. They'd poke holes in our one true rule faster than you can say 'Objection, your honor'. As a true anarchy, criminals would be dealt with by banishment. No need for any fancy-shmancy trials...just boot the bastich off the island, never to return.

Inkara1

Why the hell do you need $10 million for an island? Real estate is probably damn cheap off the coast of Thailand and Indonesia right about now.

unclehobart

The drawback would be the radio stations you pick up over there. Talk about dreary Thai pop stations and competing muslim and bhuddist rhetoric... yeech.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
Why the hell do you need $10 million for an island? Real estate is probably damn cheap off the coast of Thailand and Indonesia right about now.

Dude...it's 400 acres, and already has luxury housing pre-built. If prof and unc weren't so hung up on their 'stuff'...well...everything they mentioned except the brewing operation :D, the price wouldn't be as high. ;)

Oh...and unc...I think a nice solar and wind combo would work best...no need to keep running back to the mainland for fuel. :grinno:

unclehobart

Man cannot live on iTunes alone. Besides, half the time you want to drag the radio out to some secluded beach or working spot on the island to keep you company. A computers tinny speakers would be a little ho-hum, and using the CD player would burn up the batteries in a matter of 3 hours. Is there a way to hook up an Ipod straight into a radio so that the energy draw is more efficient? Then you have to pay a buck a tune for their services.

unclehobart

Gato_Solo said:
Dude...it's 400 acres, and already has luxury housing pre-built. If prof and unc weren't so hung up on their 'stuff'...well...everything they mentioned except the brewing operation :D, the price wouldn't be as high. ;)

Oh...and unc...I think a nice solar and wind combo would work best...no need to keep running back to the mainland for fuel. :grinno:
If were in tropical latitudes, I would do solar. Wind is so... fickle.

Inkara1

unclehobart said:
Man cannot live on iTunes alone. Besides, half the time you want to drag the radio out to some secluded beach or working spot on the island to keep you company. A computers tinny speakers would be a little ho-hum, and using the CD player would burn up the batteries in a matter of 3 hours. Is there a way to hook up an Ipod straight into a radio so that the energy draw is more efficient? Then you have to pay a buck a tune for their services.
There's a speaker cradle the iPod sits in that turns the iPod into a boombox. And the $1 a song would be no problem with the money you saved by cashing in on the cheap Thai real estate.