Help (kind of an emergency)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
This one computer I'm working on is REAL patient about networking, e.g. it can get DNS's and start talking to a web server, but it can't go farther than that, and it can't browse the network or be seen on the network. (The most I get out of it is a hang just after it starts downloading the first couple of bytes of the OTC page)

Here's what I've tried: different Cat5 cables, different network cards, formatting and reinstalling Windblows, putting the network card in a different PCI slot, different drivers, making it and the video card the only cards installed, unhooking everything from the mobo and PSU except the hard drive, only thing I haven't tried is throwing it at a wall and I would only do that with my own PC's.

MSI K7T Turbo2
300w PSU (both ATX and 12v plugged into the mobo)
Athlon 750
Realtek Ethernet 10/100 (tried with 3com 905b, Netgear FA-311)
Geforce2MX AGP
20 gig WD ATA100

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Damn fury, sounds like you've tried almost everything. Maybe a bios setting? IRQ conflict, but the different pci slot should have done that. Got me stumped. You did full reinstall of windows, or reinstalled over the old?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Tried it with a different graphics card, no change in behavior. I'm stumped. :crying3:

I hate Win98. :cuss:

Completely reformatted and installed, yes.

The IRQ conflict won't be possible to change, as everything's on the same fuckin number...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Check in the bios, my Award bios will let me change a few there.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Maybe try win2k to see if it works there then you know if it is somethin OS related?:shrug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have a copy of 2k with me. Nor XP.

It has 128 mb of ram, btw, and the motherboard is nearly brand spankin' new.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
TCP/IP settings are the exact same as our main PC which also has 98 and can connect to the network and web fine.

In fact, same exact motherboard as that PC.

There's also a laptop that can connect fine (I'm using that one's cable at the moment), as well as a Celeron 1.7 out front.

greenfreak

Can you plug another known good computer in the same jack and bring up OTC? Can you ping a website continuously with no dropped replies ( ping www.otcentral.com -t )? What version of IE do you have and does it have all the updates? When you restart the computer, do you get the Windows Logon prompt and log in? Can you do start--find--computer and find yourself on the network? In network neighborhood, do you have an adapter/protocol/service listed?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
greenfreak said:
Can you plug another known good computer in the same jack and bring up OTC?
Yes
greenfreak said:
Can you ping a website continuously with no dropped replies ( ping www.otcentral.com -t )?
Not from this computer. From one that works, though, yes.
greenfreak said:
What version of IE do you have and does it have all the updates?
6, yes.
greenfreak said:
When you restart the computer, do you get the Windows Logon prompt and log in?
I get the Client for Microsoft Networks login and yes, it logs in fine, or appears to.
greenfreak said:
Can you do start--find--computer and find yourself on the network?
Nope
greenfreak said:
In network neighborhood, do you have an adapter/protocol/service listed?
TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Print Sharing Protocol, plus the network card, which is bound to TCP/IP

Clear the mobo cmos, set to no pnp OS or vice versa, try a new BIOS if clearing cmos don't work, try yet another PCI slot as well.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
This is weird, ping starts, gets an IP and then every other ping is a no response, and the one right after that comes back fine, 40 ms