Help (kind of an emergency)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
With this computer being the only thing connected to the router it still won't work right.

HeXp£Øi±

Weird. My advise, leave it. Come back two days from now and start again, you'll find it'll be something stupid/simple that you overlooked.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
HeXp£Øi± said:
Come back two days from now and start again, you'll find it'll be something stupid/simple that you overlooked.
I wish I could do that. But the problem is, she needs the computer for school/work and has been waiting for over a week already. :(

HeXp£Øi±

I do not recommend moving someone to win2k who is not expecting it. I've had some bad experiences with this. I totally understand your predicament though. It usually end with me pulling parts out of my machine and putting them in theirs. Glad i'm not in your shoes. If you don't find a solution(and there's been lots of good tips from knowledgeable people here) the alternatives are all ugly. This is where i like to say you can't save your face and your ass at the same time.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've already tried putting in some of our parts in place of hers. Nothing works. She's gonna be pissed if I don't get it fixed. :(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It's not your fault if you can't fix it, fury. Sometimes it's just bad parts. Got a spare motherboard around?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The motherboard is brand spankin' new, replaced one that got burned up by an incorrect heatsink installation on the Athlon 750.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
WTF!? Registry file not found, after rebooting after installing Via 4-in-1 driver?!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
WTF?!

The hard drive CAN'T be bad. We ran half a dozen diagnostics totalling about 3 days worth that said the hard drive was good!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
While initializing device IOS:
Windblows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer for the 95682394820356823904820396820948th time.

*restarts*

Windows has detected a registry error. Boot into command prompt and type SCANREG.

*does*

You have restored a good configuration. Restart now.

*ok, i guess*

While initializing device IOS:
Windblows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer for the 95682394820356823904820396820950th time.

*restarts*

Windows has detected a registry error. Boot into command prompt and type SCANREG.

:tardbang: :tardbang: :tardbang: :tardbang: :tardbang: :tardbang:

Why? What in the HELL possessed me to try installing the chipset drivers? The fucking thing was working FINE before compared to this!

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
ARGH that will cost ya a total reinstall. wipe the drive.
Id be leary of the board. if you have tried 3-4 different nics and it does the same thing on each one. then its gotta be one of 2 things. the winblows install fucked up somehow, or the mobo is freakin. Id lean more towards the mobo at this point.

Is one of the nics the same nic that was in the fried mobo from before? if so dont use it when you restart ituse a different one in the beginning.
Also remember that just cause this is a new mobo doesnt mean that its in total working order. Theres always the chance you got a dud.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, the hard drive is bad. Because none of the nics I tried in other systems exhibited this behavior, and the mobo is BRAND SPANKIN' NEW. Guess we got another 3 days worth of diagnostics on the way. :mope:

doubt its the HDD, likely the mobo or something overheating, check all temps, is the hdd exhibiting any strange behaviour in any other system?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
win9x reports registry errors when you have bad ram, know it from experience.

so far i can conclude this:
1. the nic is working fine, because you can ping without packet lost to other servers.
2. ICMP is different from TCP, one is used for control and the other for transfer, something in your network is not routing your TCP packets, might be good to try some UDP transfers.

Recommendations, if you have an assigned IP try that IP in a working puter, if you receive an IP thru a DHCP server make sure that your puter is getting the right data from the server on win98 use winipcfg.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's not even showing up.

We just recently replaced the PSU with one that has a temp-sensor fan (speeds up when the PSU gets hotter). The CPU hsf temp seemed normal, the chipset hs temp wasn't even distinguishable from the temp of the case...