Help (kind of an emergency)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
btw, check for hw/sw firewalls, if not properly set they can block every single TCP packet, and not allow you to open connection ports, but they would allow ICMP packets to flow.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The NIC itself is working fine, it's just that I couldn't get a very stable signal to any site. Every other ping to otc would turn up no response. I think the ping utility does in fact use UDP packets.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
no software firewalls, and if there were a hardware firewall at the router end, I wouldn't have been able to get the main PC up and running on the net

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
fury said:
no software firewalls, and if there were a hardware firewall at the router end, I wouldn't have been able to get the main PC up and running on the net

did you tried using the very same IP on another computer and see if it works?

Firewalls are able to block traffic to specific IPs within the net.

Luis G said:
win9x reports registry errors when you have bad ram, know it from experience.

yes, but it also errors on bad hdds losing files thus corrupting the registry, overheated/overclocked cpus that cannot process properly and corrupt data, overclocked RAM as well, too high fsb causing a too high PCI bus clock and cause hdds to go nuts etc.. ;)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A CPU that doesn't exceed 40 degrees C is overheating? 100mhz CAS3 is overclocking the ram and fsb? :tardbang:

I've gotta go into work in an hour, hopefully the diag will tell me at least something's bad. How am I supposed to quote the poor girl a price when I don't know what the hell's wrong with it? If it's the hard drive she's still gonna be uber-pissed... she's spent $90 on the thing already, a hard drive of the same size could be anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on who we get it from.

No, but hes saying bad RAM almost like its the only thing that causes registry errors ;) Test the hdd with its fitness utility, reseat the cpu and if no go underclock it, that would point to either bad contact (which in some cases does not reflect on the temperature) or a bad cpu.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the CPU did previously undergo a pretty nasty burn when one of our previous employees put the heatsink on wrong, but I tested the CPU in the other K7T Turbo 2 and it worked fine. I made sure the heatsink went on properly this time.

The Western Digital diagnostic disk refuses to admit the drive is bad, but how in the hell did it suddenly exhibit the same exact errors at the same exact point in setting up the computer? Bad CD? I don't think so, it's the same CD we used when setting up our other MSI board.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I threw a few known good 32 meg sticks in there and I'm gonna reinstall again. Just to see if it is in fact the RAM :tardbang:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
brainsoft is here with me

He says to check and experiment with the full duplex vs half duplex setting for the NIC properties if there is the option.

He also says you should take a look at the routing table. He doesn't know how to do this in windows (only in linux) but he does know it exists.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
He is also wondering if hostnames are being converted to IPs at all...

and also, is it static or is it DHCP?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
*sigh* Same shit, different RAM.

Nixy said:
He says to check and experiment with the full duplex vs half duplex setting for the NIC properties if there is the option.
No change in half-duplex mode...
Nixy said:
He also says you should take a look at the routing table.
Meaning tracert? I ran that, and I get quick ping times up to the first 7 or 8 hops, but the DNS names take a while to display. After the 8th hop, everything starts crapping out.
Nixy said:
He is also wondering if hostnames are being converted to IPs at all...
Yes, but very slowly.
Nixy said:
and also, is it static or is it DHCP?
DHCP

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Found out how to do the routing table... I don't know how to make any sense of it though.

brainsoft

this might prompt some other ideas

When I was installing Gentoo, I obviously had to set everything up manually. After setting up the network cards, i could ping everyone locally just fine, but if i tried to ping out of the lan at all, I'd get "host unreachable". I had to add a route to the outside world. It tells the computer how to handle packets that are trying to be sent to the outside network.

That's what I mean by routing table. it's a list of rules telling how packets should be sent and routed. There are a lot more in a router, but each machine has atleast one rule, and that's generally just where the gateway is, how to get out of the current subnet.

In linux the command is route...

route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 metric 1

Now, this is for use with a static ip, and ofcourse with Linux, so i don't know if it will help at all. If it's DCHP, the routing rule should be setup automatically setup, because the gateway address is one of the pieces of data that is returned from the dhcp server.

You'll have to do some research of your own of course, but this provides another route (pun, ha!) of investigation for you.

if you're runnign tracert and using the option to resolve host names at each hop (default action i beleive, but can be disabled), it can generally be slow regardless and isn't always a sign of network troubles.

You are able to ping local machines, but get 50% packet loss? (that's why i thought maybe it was a full vs half duplex problem). Although, a 100mbps nic is 100mbps half-duplex, or 200mbps full duplex. Not really useful, oh well.

We're off to get lunch, I'll check back later and see how it's going

/me out

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I can't ping local machines at all. The outside ones I can ping, but I get the packet loss problem. If it can get to the site at all it starts out with 50% packet loss then gradually decreases to about one packet lost about every 10 packets or so.

I can ping it from another machine though, with 50% pl