how do I fix rust on my car?

JTP

If I had a garage or even a driveway, I'd buy a welder. But I don't, and I go to school year-round. I get about 3 weeks for christmas, a week for easter, and 4-day weekends for 4th of july and thanksgiving. No sort of extended vacation.

Know the pain, bro- when you have the little bit of spare time, you can't get your job list done in time. Keep plugging away at it
Never give up. A nickel here and a dime there will make a dollar one day.

Professur

JTP, no worries about the copy paste. We all have our habits.

Tonks ... go bug Cat instead. Same size truck, with one tenth the insanity.

Al, I was talking about the welder in response to your saying you had noone to teach you. Last time I saw, your parents still had a driveway, and I presumed you'd try to do it there, if anywhere.

Back to the case at hand. Was there any penetration?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
JTP, no worries about the copy paste. We all have our habits.

Tonks ... go bug Cat instead. Same size truck, with one tenth the insanity.

Al, I was talking about the welder in response to your saying you had noone to teach you. Last time I saw, your parents still had a driveway, and I presumed you'd try to do it there, if anywhere.

Back to the case at hand. Was there any penetration?

He said he left rust in place and coated over it...that's a bad idea, no?

Altron

Yeah, the rust isn't just on the surface. I removed the flaking paint, and as much of the stuff that came off easily as I could, without really grinding the rust off.

It's a square metal hollow bar.

The passenger side of the bar is ok (left side in pictures)... that rust spot doesn't go all of the way through the metal, and it is only on the front side.

The right side is more serious though. That rust is all the way through the metal, and is affecting some of the bottom edge too.

Maybe during christmas vacation, I will have the time to mess with welding.

Right now, it's still the middle of the semester, so I'm busy. I have a multivariate vector calculus test every other monday, and a quantum physics test every monday that I don't have a calc test. Plus physics HW due every sunday. So it's a little hectic.

Inkara1

Well, definitely keep an eye on it... rust can continue to grow under paint, after all. Hopefully what you did can last you the next five months with not much further damage and then you cna get it welded at the end of the year.

Professur

Nixy, as an engineer, you should know this already. Rust is a chemical residue left by the reaction between iron and oxygen called iron oxide, facilitated by some solvents and salts. It can't grow without access to oxygen. Paint is usually used to seal steel, but thin points, corrosion by salts, and even scratches and such will provide entry points. Rust doesn't cause more rust. But the conditions that allowed the first rust to form ensure that more will follow if it's not corrected. Chemicals like naval jelly (gelled phosphoric acid) eat iron oxide, turning it to iron phosphate, which can be scrubbed off with a pot scrubber, but has no effect on straight steel. Products like POR15 are designed to adhere well to a rusty surface and prevent allowing anything to get under it. Then you have rust neutralizers which convert iron oxide to a more stable form such as ferrosoferric oxide, which retains it's strength and helps seal the iron's surface. But they all come down to the same thing: providing a seal between the metal and the salt water.

Inkara1

Prof's truck wouldn't make the trip down anyway... I don't know about the engine, but the body won't make it... a few bumps on the freeways and the body will break into little pieces because it's so rusty. He would show up at your place sitting on a seat directly on the frame... I'm sure your neighbors would love that.

Professur

Truth is there really is no need for a dump run...but any excuse to harrass you I will take.

You say that like you've ever waited for an excuse. Not.

Inky, past tense, dude. It's soon to be road worthy again. New floors and door posts already exist, just acquired a new core support and headlamp buckets to be installed early next week. After that, a few more patches to the firewall, reinstall the interior and the fenders and she's good to go.

Professur

Don't. Right now, I'm playing catch up from the month's work backlogged from vacation time. 2 weeks when I was doing someone else's job, and two weeks when I wasn't there.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
That's a fairly safe period of time to start up a new relationship.

Yes, if the last time I had sex I got pregnant I'd be popping out the kid right about now...but I should hope that if I was pregnant I'd know before now :lloyd:

That said, I'm more than willing to start up a relationship...I just need to find a guy who feels the same...no dates = no sex or relationship.