Hurricane Ivan

tonksy

new orleans is technically below sea level...this definitely won't be a good time to visit the french quarter. i dunno how it will fare from ivan. :shrug: it's a shame really...lots of antebellum houses and other landmarks.
sharky is only an hour or so from mobile...has anyone heard anything of him? i would assume he has beat feet outta there.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
new orleans is technically below sea level...this definitely won't be a good time to visit the french quarter. i dunno how it will fare from ivan. :shrug: it's a shame really...lots of antebellum houses and other landmarks.
sharky is only an hour or so from mobile...has anyone heard anything of him? i would assume he has beat feet outta there.

Sharky said:
Nice.

Well, this may be my last visit to OTC for a few days.

As of this evening it looks like Ivan is going to slam into the Gulf Coast somewhere between New Orleans and Apalachicola.

The Panama City area is already boarding up, and evacuating the beaches.
Low-lying areas around the bays will be evacuated next.

My route home from work is along one of the evac routes, so I will probably stay home tomorrow night to avoid being caught in the exodus on Wednesday morning.

The Compound is battened down and lashed together, ready for self-sufficiency mode. The elderly folks in our neighborhood who don't want to ride it out alone will all be taken in by those of us who are equipped with generators and water supplies.

I guess we will wait and see what happens.

Yee-ha!

:)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The oldest boy got to go to N'Orleans this summer, looks like it's a good thing he did.

MrBishop

Bourbon blues on the street loose and complete
Under skies all smoky blue-green
I can Forksake the dixie dead shake
So we dance the sidewalk clean
My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim

Colonel Tom What's wrong? What's Going On
You can't tie yourself up for a deal
He said" Hey North you're south shut you big mouth
You gotta do what you feel is real."
Ain't got no picture postcards ain't go no souvenirs
My baby she don't know me when I'm thinking about thoes years

Pale as a light bulb hanging on a wire
Sucking up to someone just stoke the fire
Picking out the highlights of the scenery
Saw a little cloud looked a little like me

I had My hand in the river
My feet back up on the banks
Looked up to the lord above and said hey man thanks
Some time I fell so good I gotta scream
She says Godie baby I know exactly what you men
She said, she said I sweat to god she said::.

My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim

-Trajically Hip

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nawlins may be spared yet again but we'll have to sacrifice Mobile in it's place.

Mare

Did anyone hear from Sharky looks like it went straight for him and then seen this......
Updated: 03:41 AM EDT

· Ivan Downgraded to Tropical Depression
· At Least 23 U.S. Deaths Linked to Weather
· Hundreds of Thousands Lack Electricity
· Some Areas May See 15 Inches of Rain
· President Bush Signs Disaster Declarations
· Tropical Storm Jeanne Wobbles West [Details]
· Tropical Storm Karl Forms [Details]

Storm Batters Gulf Coast
By PAULINE ARRILLAGA, AP

Hurricane Hits Gulf Coast

Hurricane Ivan Roars Ashore
Ivan Spawns Deadly Twisters
Anderson Cooper vs. Ivan
Riding It Out in Biloxi

PENSACOLA, Fla. (Sept. 17) - Hurricane Ivan was the deadliest hurricane to hit the United States since Floyd in 1999, but it could have been worse. It spared New Orleans and left millions feeling lucky in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

But storm-battered Florida was less fortunate. Ivan flattened homes, swamped streets and spun off at least a dozen tornadoes in the Panhandle. In all, the hurricane killed 70 people in the Caribbean and at least 23 along the Gulf Coast, most of them in Florida.

More bad news could await: Tropical Storm Jeanne looms in the Atlantic on a track toward the southeastern United States - and, possibly, Florida.

HomeLAN

Wet basement carpet, about 15 square feet in from the back door. Lost power for 2 hours, no biggie. According to the pool, we picked up 7-8 inches yesterday.

catocom

Everything fine here.
Just a bunch of limbs everywhere.
The wind is still gusting to what seems to be better that 30mph.
It's kinda dangerous walking through the yard.
One limb flew straight down, and buried up about 4 in. in the ground.
It was about 2" in dia. That would hurt.

catocom

Gonz said:
Isn't a hurricane just one gigantic mother of a tornado?

Kinda, but not really.
Tornados usually have winds near twice a powerful, and usually alot more lightening, but are smaller, and don't have quite as much rain sometimes.

HomeLAN

The tornadoes buried within hurricanes are far worse than the hurricane itself. That's why I'm worried about Sharky. A couple of those bad boys went right through his town.

Sharky

Well now, that was exciting. :eek:

Pensacola was hammered (pics and stories).

Panama City Beach took a pretty good hit, but tornadoes caused most of the damage there.

In Washington County we had a few trees knocked down, tons of debris, the wind stripped the leaves off most of the treetops, and the cotton crops are in bad shape.

At my place there was no damage other than debris and one of the old oak trees cracked and will have to be taken down.

The power went out in Vernon at 2230 Wednesday and didn't come back on until Saturday afternoon. After my generator cooled down I gave it a kiss.

Some of us were sitting out on the lanai (it faces northeast, the wind never hit it) enjoying the show when the tornadoes started popping up in Panama City, Blountstown, Bonifay, and Marianna - basically all around us - and we could hear the roar very clearly. :dizzy: It was a little unnerving.

It was a close call, we were very lucky. Just a few miles west of here it was a different story. I feel sorry for the folks in Pensacola.

Only 70 days until the end of hurricane season! :D :cool:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
VERY good to see you Sharky. Hope things get back to normal for you all soon down there.