next step...

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
And that, in a nutshell, is what the whole racial problem in the US is all about. Thanks prof. I didn't think you'd bite on that one. ;)

If we weren't wanted then, what were you doing raping our ancestors? If we weren't wanted, why were we kept, for generations, as chattel, worked until we could no longer work, and then cast aside in such a horrid manner?
Our ancestors didn't ask to be enslaved, and raped, but that's exactly what happened. When we ask for simple recognition, we get a response like prof gave. How would you feel? Multiply that by the millions of young blacks, and you'll get a rather alarming picture of the seriousness of the problem.

Now...back to the statement I made earlier, dead man. :D Acknowledge me, or pay up...It's not too hard a decision, if you think it through logically...

Just thought I'd point out that not all slaves were mistreated.
My great uncle had a slave family which he more or less protected than enslaved.
After the civil war they were considered "free", but choose to stay and work. (just for housing, and food...)
The kids grew up, moved off, and the mother died.
The father stayed on until he died in the early 80's.

Winky

The stereotypical angry bleck man?

I thought the Black Panthers disbanded long ago?

Must suck to be angry for no apparent reason, huh?

Angry without a cause or clue!

hi I’m an angry bleck man
Oh hi Dude nice to meet ya
I’m angry! Angry bleck dude!
Nice to meet ya l8r Dood…

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
Not one of whom has ever had to live thru that. Not one of whom has ever known a slave. Not one of whom gives a rats ass about Aunt Gertrude who died on The Thomson farm in 1856 as the house nigger.

So the racism that followed for more than 100 years (lynchings, bombings, etc) had no effect upon the population? I beg to differ. We're talking an entire race of people who were denied their rights for almost 400 years...from slavery to Jim Crow to the civil rights amendment. You have to look at the big picture. It's not just about slavery.

If those directly affected by the years of slavery can come forward they deserve reparations from the person or persons who held them iin bondage. It may have been legal but it was still individuals who held slaves. The Americans of Japanese ancestry who were detained in the 40's came forward. Those who were dirsectly affected got reparations, albeit too little too late form the people that held them in bondage...The US Government. It wasn't even illegal, as it was a wartime act. In hindsight, it was wrong. I didn't live in 1942 so I can't say if it seemed right at the time.

Hey...I didn't open that can of worms, the government did...with full backing of a majority of the populace.

Slavery goes way farther back than the USA & is still practiced. The American ancestors of slaves have story to tell. It should be listened to & learned from. Just not at the expense of those not involved.

Too bad it wasn't learned, as there are still problems with racism, eh? Think this over before you answer...If we (blacks) were given our equal rights after the civil war was over, do you think we'd be having problems now?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I believe there will always be problems with racism. People tend to congregate with those they are most comforatable. Which explains by every style of people have their own vicinage. When those unlike them join, tension arises. It matters not which group holds the neighborhood. People are distrustful of differences. Many grow accustomed & comfortable. Many don't.

I''ll get back to you on part 2.

freako104

Too bad it wasn't learned, as there are still problems with racism, eh? Think this over before you answer...If we (blacks) were given our equal rights after the civil war was over, do you think we'd be having problems now?

some yes but not as much. but still some

Gato_Solo

PostCode said:
Unfortunately, I think we would.

:disgust:

I, personally, don't. Re-look at US history. Start with Frederick Douglass...nay...Crispus Attucks...as a race, we fought, and died, in every war the US ever fought, but, when we returned home to the 'civilian world', we, as a race, were shoved ack into the background of anguish and suffering, simply for the color of our skin. The anger, and violence, of the 1960's was a direct result of second-class citizenship, and the wounds were deep indeed. We fought, and died, for a country that did not respect us as human beings. In some areas, we still aren't. It's that 'feeling' that permeated our race's conscience for over 400 years. It's that same attitude that prompts cries of DWB. It's that same feeling that comes to the surface whenever a young black male is beaten, and sometimes killed, by the police. It's that same reaction that is evoked when a crime that is commited by a lack gets more time in prison than the same crime done by a white. I know you can't erase that with money, which is why I, personally, am against reparations of any kind, but gets a rise out of me when people say that we, as a race, has no direct complication from the days of slavery.

freako104

the reason I disagree Gato is because even without that form of racism there is still sexism and ageism and other forms of discrimination. Also African Americans were not the only ones hit with racism in history. there would surely be less problems but they wont fully dissapear

Gato_Solo

freako104 said:
the reason I disagree Gato is because even without that form of racism there is still sexism and ageism and other forms of discrimination. Also African Americans were not the only ones hit with racism in history. there would surely be less problems but they wont fully dissapear

Once again, the cause is muddied by other groups. This isn't about ageism, sexism, and other forms of discrimination. It's about racism. The mere addition of the rest shows that nobody is serious about stamping out the issue. It's no longer about fairness, it's about 'me, too'. As for African Americans not being alone, I'll agree with you, but, once again, you miss the point. Other groups have been 'allowed' to overcome their racial differences to some degree, or another. Even emigrees from Africa seem to be allowed greater freedom than blacks born from US ancestry. This 'them, too' attitude eschewed by the left grows tiresome sometimes...

Gato_Solo

PostCode said:
Well, you know me. Always the last one to know. :D

But hey, at least I made it. :D

Not that I'd refuse 'free' money...but it's the entire principal behind it

Winky

nuthin’ worse than a racist
unless it’s a Black racist

How’s it hangin’ Farrakan?

Gato_Solo

Winky said:
nuthin’ worse than a racist
unless it’s a Black racist

How’s it hangin’ Farrakan?

How nice of you to bring that up. :rolleyes:

Answer this one...which is worse, a person using racism just for racism' sake, or a person who uses racism as a backlash to his/her past experience?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
How nice of you to bring that up. :rolleyes:

Answer this one...which is worse, a person using racism just for racism' sake, or a person who uses racism as a backlash to his/her past experience?
shall I go 'round bashing and trying to derail and best all men and teach my children and their children to do so because of my past experience of crimes and insults perpetrated on me by men? Or should I grow up and get over it?

Winky

Hmm that's not a hard one

The person that is lashing out at the world
lashing out at people he's never met
at people who've never ever done anything to him

all based solely on the color of HIS skin.

I'd say that person is doing HIMSELF a disservice.

Truth is I've lived my entire life with out ANY serious
contact with black people. And as I've said before
the few I've know had 'race' problems of their own making .
------------
which is worse, a person using racism just for racism' sake, or a person who uses racism as a backlash to his/her past experience?
------------
See my first reaction is cut and dried
the person who uses racism as a backlash to his/her past experience is clearly the worst of the two. He'd be the one to have an understanding why it is so bad.

You seem to paint the entire white population of America as racist. We both know this isn't true. If you and I met and you disliked me because of MY lack of pigmentation
and I returned the favor based solely on your hostility towards me, who is the worst of us.

Buddie you weren't a slave and me nor ANY of MY ancestors owned slaves. Hell my immigrant forebears were busy being persecuted in their home countries while all that was a happening and fled here to escape it.

Nothing quite like being a Jew in Oklahoma with a German last name during WWI
unless of course having remained in your country of origin being Jew in Nazi occupied Russia would have been preferable?

C’Mon Buddy Let’s be friends
I promise not to join the KKK
if you’ll not hate me cuz I can’t for the life of me get a tan! lol

Gato_Solo

Leslie said:
shall I go 'round bashing and trying to derail and best all men and teach my children and their children to do so because of my past experience of crimes and insults perpetrated on me by men? Or should I grow up and get over it?

Right answer, wrong question. ;)