Oh, by the way

Winky

Oh sorry I didn't know public radio was the authority
in these matters I thought you were!

spike

Sorry Winky, someone that started the site picked the domain. You'll have to speak to them. Weird that it bothers you this much.

Winky

Oh no I'm certain minnesota publicradio is the
absolute final authority in these matters!

After all it’s on the internet so it has to be true!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Originally Posted by spike
Yes, bigots have often historically voted to limit other peoples freedoms. It took awhile for women and blacks and other groups to get equality under the law. It's going to take some more work before same sex couples get equality.

Once again, I'll ask three questions. Try and answer them without rhetoric.

1. Is marriage a right?
2. Is homosexuality a visible genetic trait that is reproducible, or a lifestyle choice?
3. The laws that were broken during the civil rights marches...state, federal, local, or private business policies?

I'm asking these questions because there are more than a few here who will attempt to change the question, rather than answer it.

spike

Good points Gato. Thanks.

1. Is marriage a right?

Nope, not a right anymore than a driver's license is.

That means the State should not be allowing it for some people and not allowing it for other people based on race, religion, sexual orientation, political party, etc.

Denying marriage based on sexual orientation is like denying a driver's license to someone based on them having Brazilan ancesors or Republican.

2. Is homosexuality a visible genetic trait that is reproducible, or a lifestyle choice?

I'd guess most of the time your born with a sexual orientation and possibly some things can affect people more towards direction as well. Some people like both sexes.

Who cares? Should we take into account why people have different eye color or some people turn republican before we decide who to give less freedoms?

3. The laws that were broken during the civil rights marches...state, federal, local, or private business policies?

Who knows? I don't. Can't imagine where this goes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Currently the insurance companies determine who is allowed what treatments.

No.

Currently, insurance companies determine whether they will pay for a treatment under their contract with the insured, not whether it's allowed.

Under the proposed government plan, private insurance will be outlawed & only the government can determine whether it's paid for. I'm not sure if cash transactions will be allowed.

spike

No.

Currently, insurance companies determine whether they will pay for a treatment under their contract with the insured, not whether it's allowed.

Like it will work with the public option.

Under the proposed government plan, private insurance will be outlawed & only the government can determine whether it's paid for. I'm not sure if cash transactions will be allowed.

Why the hell do you go back to made up fantasy fear mongering?

jimpeel

Yes, bigots have often historically voted to limit other peoples freedoms.

You mean like the Democrats who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and who stood in the schoolhouse door to prevent integration of Blacks into the public schools?

It took awhile for women and blacks and other groups to get equality under the law. It's going to take some more work before same sex couples get equality.

It would have happened more quickly without the opposition of Democrats. Hell, a Democrat KKK member still sits in the Senate of the United States.

spike

You mean like the Democrats who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act and who stood in the schoolhouse door to prevent integreation of Blacks into the public schools?

Yes, exactly like that. The south used to be overwhelmingly Democrat. But granting blacks civil rights was too much for them and the bigots swung over to the Republican side after that.

Probably has something to do with who now stands in the way of civil rights for gays.

spike

Sure they are. They want to allow special rights for straight couples that same sex couples don't have.

spike

I'm saying you can't allow one to marry and not the other. It's either denying rights or granting special privileges. Bigotry based on sezual orientation.