One Nation Under God

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
catocom said:
That's like employees not being able to say Merry Christmas.
Where was the outrage of the ACLU when these companies, and schools
are denying this to people. (just one example of the hypocrisy)

Filing another stupid lawsuit to make unisex bathrooms in airports legal so the pedophiles will have a place to congregate.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Filing another stupid lawsuit to make unisex bathrooms in airports legal so the pedophiles will have a place to congregate.

That's what the ACLU stands for...permit everything but what the majority finds moral...

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
That's what the ACLU stands for...permit everything but what the majority finds moral...
Morality is like common sense....It's disappearing. It's all relative so whoever
yells the loudest makes the new morality characteristics it seems.

Gato_Solo

catocom said:
Morality is like common sense....It's disappearing. It's all relative so whoever
yells the loudest make the new moral character it seems.

I disagree. Common sense was never common. If it was, you wouldn't need government. ;)

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
I disagree. Common sense was never common. If it was, you wouldn't need government. ;)
Oh it was at one time.
I guess we have differing definitions of common sense too.....
Seeee :swing:

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
:D I prefer "If it were common, wouldn't there be more of it?"

Gato_Solo

chcr said:
:D I prefer "If it were common, wouldn't there be more of it?"

That's why I wrote what I did. Can't have people thinking we agree on something, now can we? ;) :p

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato_Solo said:
That's why I wrote what I did. Can't have people thinking we agree on something, now can we? ;) :p

I take your point. Certainly not! Oh, the horror! :brush:

FredFlash

Banned
Gotholic said:
Remove student prayer: "Prayer in its public school system breaches the constitutional wall of separation between Church and State." [Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421, 425 (1962).]

Your very first claim is false. The statement you present as an excerpt from the Engel v. Vitale Opinion is not in the Opinion. The Court never said it. Are you unable to read a legal opinion or just another liar, or both?

This is what the court actually said:

Because of the prohibition of the First Amendment against the enactment of any law "respecting an establishment of religion," which is made applicable to the States by the Fourteenth Amendment, state officials may not compose an official state prayer and require that it be recited in the public schools of the State at the beginning of each school day - even if the prayer is denominationally neutral and pupils who wish to do so may remain silent or be excused from the room while the prayer is being recited. Pp. 422-436.​

FredFlash

Banned
Gotholic said:

A QUICK TOUR OF OUR CAPITOL REMINDS US THAT THIS NATION WAS BUILT UPON THE FOUNDATIONS OF CHRISTIAN BELIEF.

• The Supreme Court building portrays Moses holding the Ten Commandments through which the voice of God thunders "Thou shalt not murder."
• The Capitol Rotunda contains eight massive oil paintings, each depicting a major event in history. Four of these paintings portray Jesus Christ and the Bible: 1) Columbus landing on the shores of the New World, and holding high the cross of Jesus Christ, 2) a group of Dutch pilgrims gathered around a large, opened Bible, 3) a cross being planted in the soil, commemorating the discovery of the Mississippi River by the Explorer De Soto, and 4) the Christian baptism of the Indian convert Pocahontas.
• Statuary Hall contains life size statues of famous citizens that have been given by individual states. Medical missionary Marcus Whitman stands big as life, holding a Bible. Another statue is of missionary Junipero Serra, who founded the missions of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Montery and San Diego. Illinois sent a statue of Francis Willard, an associate of the evangelist Dwight L. Moody.
• Inscribed on the walls of the Library of Congress are quotes honoring the study of art, the wall is etched with "Nature is the art of God." A quote honoring Science says, "The heavens declare the glory of God." An inspiration honoring religion is Micah 6:8, "What doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God."
• On a wall in the Jefferson Memorial we read, "God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated without His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
• As you climb the steps inside the Washington Monument you will notice stones with inscriptions on them. Some of them are, "Search the Scriptures" – "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it" – "The memory of the just is blessed" – "Holiness to the Lord" – and the top which says "Praise be to God!"
• Inscribed on the north wall of the Lincoln Memorial is the Presidents second inaugural address. Lincoln feared that God would not be satisfied until every drop of blood drawn by the lash is repaid by another drop of blood drawn by the sword.
Are these inscriptions just empty words, nostalgic sayings that no longer describe the ideals of our nation’s government? Consider the message of another inscription, this one at the base of a large statute entitled "Heritage," which is outside the main entrance of the National Archives. It reads: "The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future."

No seed flourishes if it is not cultivated.

First, none of those items were the doing of the founding fathers. Second, all of them were probably done after the nation rejected Christ as the exclusive and absolute Lord over the conscience in the 1860's; and allowed Congress and the Presidents to trespass upon the jurisdiction of the Almighty whose only son, our Lord and Savior, ordained the separation of church and state in Matthew 22:21.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776.

We were not founded as a Christian nation but we were founded upon Christian values, which came from *drum roll* Christianity.

Now, if you'd be so kind as to step into a debate with a presentation of your stance instead of an attack, it's look better.

FredFlash

Banned
Gonz said:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We were not founded as a Christian nation but we were founded upon Christian values, which came from *drum roll* Christianity.

Now, if you'd be so kind as to step into a debate with a presentation of your stance instead of an attack, it's look better.

I don't attack a position until I know exactly what it is, and I disagree with it.

Do you believe that "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" mentioned in the Declaration of Indepenence are "Christian values?" If so, what exactly are those "Christian values" and do those "Christian values" include what James Madison considered the just sacred and truly Christian principle of distinguishing and separating the duty which we owe to our Creator from the civil duties which we owe to Caesar; which many of the founding father's believed was one of the laws of Nature's God?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
FredFlash said:
I don't attack a position until I know exactly what it is, and I disagree with it.
Present a position so folks here may attack back then.

FredFlash said:
Do you believe that "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" mentioned in the Declaration of Indepenence are "Christian values?"
They were referring to a Christian deity.

FredFlash said:
If so, what exactly are those "Christian values" and do those "Christian values" include what James Madison considered the just sacred and truly Christian principle of distinguishing and separating the duty which we owe to our Creator from the civil duties which we owe to Caesar; which many of the founding father's believed was one of the laws of Nature's God?
Seperating? Please, show me, exactly, where the Constitution declares that teh USA may not mention or otherwise refer to a deity. I've been looking for that lost Article.

The nation may not allow its lawmakers to create a specific religion for its people. There is nothing, anywhere, denying an individual to espouse their beliefs-including while in office nor is there a law or Constitional Article demanding that all mentions or references of a deity be kept out of our public life.

Lacking belief in one of these deities is your right. Demanding that all others bow to your whim, is not.

2minkey

bootlicker
deists.

god made the world. and left. and now it's rational humanism that's where it's at.

ben frankilin. thomas jefferson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

humanist-rationalist motif MUCH stonger than any christian hodge-podge.

what would you expect from enlightenment-era thinking fellas?

FredFlash

Banned
Gonz said:
They were referring to a Christian deity.

How do you know the Declaration of Independence was referring to a Christian deity?

Gonz said:
Seperating? Please, show me, exactly, where the Constitution declares that teh USA may not mention or otherwise refer to a deity. I've been looking for that lost Article.

Where did James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Saint George Tucker and the rest of the Republican Democrats find the Separation of Church and State in the Constitution? Where did the House of Representatives find it in 1811 when it rejected Laban Wheaton's argument that the establishment clause only prohibted the establishment of a national religion such as the Church of England?

Gonz said:
The nation may not allow its lawmakers to create a specific religion for its people. There is nothing, anywhere, denying an individual to espouse their beliefs-including while in office nor is there a law or Constitional Article demanding that all mentions or references of a deity be kept out of our public life.

Where does the Constitution say that "the nation may not allow its lawmakers to create a specific religion for its people?"

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Check your Constitution & Bill of Rights. All your answers are there, clear as a bell.

chcr

Too cute for words
The simple truth is that since god (all and sundry) is a myth, it doesn't really matter in the least. You can call it being based on christian beliefs or on stuff Bob said in between picking his nose. If you agree with it, fine. If you don't agree, try to change it. If enough people agree with you, it will change. If it doesn't change, then you were wrong. :shrug:

*Except for me, of course, I'm never wrong.*