One Nation Under God

FredFlash

Banned
Dude...did you return here just to stir up this stuff?

BTW...that "wall of seperation" does not exist in the Constitution. Never has.

What is your definition of "wall of separation?"

That line was taken from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury(?) Baptists during his presidency.

We're talking about an intellectual concept, not the name which many assign to it. The principle of no union of church and state is gathered from the words of the U. S. Constitution, not the letters of Thomas Jefferson.

The whole "separation of church and state" argument is built upon that one sentence in a personal letter...

Where did you get such a silly idea?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What words in the Constitution do you read to say that the U.S. is a Christian nation?

The Declaration of Independence said:
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

They sure as hell weren't talking about Allah.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
What is your definition of "wall of separation?"

There is no such wall implicit in the Constitution. You seem to have a problem grasping that concept.

FredFlash said:
We're talking about an intellectual concept, not the name which many assign to it. The principle of no union of church and state is gathered from the words of the U. S. Constitution, not the letters of Thomas Jefferson.

The words of the constitution state, and I'll quote them for you

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Source...

Where does it state that there is to be a wall of seperation? It merely states that the government cannot establish a religion or prevent the free exercise of any religion. Everything you just said is :bs:. If there is such an amendment I ask you to show it, with a source to back it up.

FredFlash said:
Where did you get such a silly idea?

You're the one talking about a 'wall of seperation' between church and state'. I ask you to back your claim. I backed up mine above...

FredFlash

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFlash What is your definition of "wall of separation?"

There is no such wall implicit in the Constitution. You seem to have a problem grasping that concept.

I read you to say that you are unable or unwilling to provide us with the intellectual content of the idea you have assigned the symbols “wall of separation” to. It is difficult to have an intelligent discussion with one whose words have no meaning.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I read you to say that you are unable or unwilling to provide us with the intellectual content of the idea you have assigned the symbols “wall of separation” to. It is difficult to have an intelligent discussion with one whose words have no meaning.

Since you are unable, or unwilling, to back your claim, I'd say you were the one failing to provide intellectual content.

I can provide the case & context of the Supreme Court Ruling in which you infer. HAve you actually read it? Do you also understand the inherent weakness of the ruling in a government with threee equal branches?

FredFlash

Banned
Originally Posted by FredFlash We're talking about an intellectual concept, not the name which many assign to it. The principle of no union of church and state is gathered from the words of the U. S. Constitution, not the letters of Thomas Jefferson.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Did your educators fail to properly instruct you regarding the Constitutional fundamentals of limited government, enumerated powers and the non-delegation of jurisdiction over the people's religion?

Gato_Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFlash What is your definition of "wall of separation?"

Thats my contention...that no such wall exists.

FredFlash said:

Nice dodge, but no dice. My definition has no bearing upon this discussion, since I'm not the one arguing that such a wall exists. I'm stating that the constitution does not implicitly forbid the practice of religion by or for its citizens on any property...private or public. Those that petitioned the courts to remove prayer from schools used that line about a 'wall of seperation' in their arguments in order to further their cause of removing any semblence of religion from public life. You wish to move the argument from a debate on the constitutionality of such seperation to a definition of a wall because you can only cast dispersions upon my intelligence and not my argument. I submit to you that you have no basis to question my intelligence on this, as you have obviously not done your own homework if you must drag down my statement with 'minutiae'.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Did your educators fail to properly instruct you regarding the Constitutional fundamentals of limited government...

Are you willing to take this to its, and my, logical conclusion? If it's not specifically enumerated or addressed, it's not allowed.

Gato_Solo

Did your educators fail to properly instruct you regarding the Constitutional fundamentals of limited government, enumerated powers and the non-delegation of jurisdiction over the people's religion?

Nope. But your educators seemed to have failed to properly instruct you on reading comprehension...

BTW...thats two attacks upon my intellect and none, so far, on my argument.

FredFlash

Banned
Where does it state that there is to be a wall of separation? It merely states that the government cannot establish a religion or prevent the free exercise of any religion.

The purpose of the 1st Amendment was not to create the idea or principle of separation of church and state. Instead, the 1st Amendment reinforced the meaning of the separation of church and state principle as it was embodied in the unamended constitution.

In the unamended constitution the government was given no authority in matters of religion: no authority to aid (promote, help, etc) or hinder religion.
As Madison said: "There is not a shadow of right in the general government to intermeddle with religion. Its least interference with it would be a most flagrant usurpation."

Matters of religion were off limits to the federal government, but the drafters of the Constitution were hard pressed to convince the state ratifying conventions of the built-in constitutional safeguards. Because some felt that clauses such as the Constitution's "elastic clause" might enable a future Congress to circumvent the "no power" over religion directive, Madison drafted and submitted the additional constitutional constraints that eventually became the religious clauses of the our 1st Amendment.

The proper way to understand the religious clauses of the 1st amendment is to realize that they did not create anything, they only strengthened what had already been created and embodied in the unamended constitution.

Gato_Solo

The purpose of the 1st Amendment was not to create the idea or principle of separation of church and state. Instead, the 1st Amendment reinforced the meaning of the separation of church and state principle as it was embodied in the unamended constitution.

In the unamended constitution the government was given no authority in matters of religion: no authority to aid (promote, help, etc) or hinder religion.
As Madison said: "There is not a shadow of right in the general government to intermeddle with religion. Its least interference with it would be a most flagrant usurpation."

Matters of religion were off limits to the federal government, but the drafters of the Constitution were hard pressed to convince the state ratifying conventions of the built-in constitutional safeguards. Because some felt that clauses such as the Constitution's "elastic clause" might enable a future Congress to circumvent the "no power" over religion directive, Madison drafted and submitted the additional constitutional constraints that eventually became the religious clauses of the our 1st Amendment.

The proper way to understand the religious clauses of the 1st amendment is to realize that they did not create anything, they only strengthened what had already been created and embodied in the unamended constitution.

Nice cut and paste. I read that, in its entirety, on another website. Please put the source down before you get us into trouble...or would you like me to do it for you?

FredFlash

Banned
...the constitution does not implicitly forbid the practice of religion ...for its citizens

Where does the U. S. Constitution grant the government authority to exercise the people's religion on their behalf; is the government going to be there when they have to account to God for their faith; and is it even possible for one to delegate his duties to the Creator, to others?

...the constitution does not implicitly forbid the practice of religion by or for its citizens on any property...private or public.

The Constitution forbids civil authority over religion. I view the issue from the perspective of the Jeffersonians.

Those that petitioned the courts to remove prayer from schools

Who petitioned to remove prayer from schools? Please show us the petitions, if such actually exist.

used that line about a 'wall of seperation' in their arguments

Please show us their arguments.

in order to further their cause of removing any semblance of religion from public life.

Show me where they petitioned for the removal of "any semblance of religion from public life." Unless, of course, you are misrepresenting the content of the petitions.

FredFlash

Banned
Are you willing to take this to its, and my, logical conclusion? If it's not specifically enumerated or addressed, it's not allowed.

I agree that the people granted the U. S. Government no authority whatsoever over their religious sentiments or their manner of rendering homage to the Creator whose son, the Lord Jesus Christ, forbids us to render unto Caesar what belongs to God.

Gato_Solo

The Constitution forbids civil authority over religion. I view the issue from the perspective of the Jeffersonians.

Then why all the fuss when the people wish to display a religious symbol on public property? A Christmas tree, for instance (even though the tree has nothing to do with Christmas)?

FredFlash said:
Who petitioned to remove prayer from schools? Please show us the petitions, if such actually exist.

So you never heard of the Supreme Case ruling prohibiting teacher-led prayers from schools? Before you jump on that bait, remember...teachers are citizens, too.

FredFlash said:
Show me where they petitioned for the removal of "any semblance of religion from public life." Unless, of course, you are misrepresenting the content of the petitions.

You sure are stuck in minutiae, aren't you? Nobody petitioned that, but thats the way it seems every year around December 25th. :shrug: You must be a lawyer or summat to twist meanings like that. If you are, its to be expected. A lawyers job is to get his client off by exploiting loopholes in the law, if available, or creating loopholes if necessary. Note...this has nothing to do with guilt or innocence...