SnP and AllEars' won't be around much for awhile

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That's great (well, as much as it can be given the circumstances) Can you get some lava rock & a pond within reach? One fire per life is enough.

Mare

[quote SnP]Mentally, we are healing. Physically, we are fine. Tired, but fine. Spiritually, we are stronger than ever.[quote SnP]

You just blow me away! I admire your strength and courage right now sweetie......God Bless you All!

As I am getting older I realize the importance of Family and Friends! Years ago, in my 20's, I lost a sister-in-law, the first death I ever had to deal with, I LOST IT! In between then and now, life has passed me some pretty shitty deals. Especially the X hubby with the cancer. "I" never thought I could handle going through it with him, ppl would say to me, "How are you holding up so well". You just do for some ungodly reason, even so tired and stressed! Now A Days, I say, It's ONLY "Materialistic Things", they can be replaced, but the beauty that God gave me is far more worth any price tag on a material thing, He gave me 2 beautiful children and we LOVE each other! Like I said SnP, Hang in There, there are angels all around you helping you through this, as all of us here at OTC! :winkkiss:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Mike,
Im so sorry for your losses. I cnt imagine what it must be like emotionally and physically.
You are in our prayers.
It sounds like you had a smart cookie writing your house policy and things will work out good for you.
And as everyone has said if there is anything we can do let us know.

catocom

SouthernN'Proud said:
We have received so many donations, checks, offers for help, favors, and whatnot than we can keep track of. Clothes, furniture, boarding our dogs, even use of a trailer. I hear that even more is coming. It's left us speechless. We are blessed beyond our ability to describe it.

I'm not a doctor or an attorney, and have the bank account to prove it.
Some of us still want to send money, or anything else you might need the most.
Do we sent it to the addy in the article?

greenfreak

You sound so much better than anyone I know would be in this situation. Your strength and optimism gives me hope for humanity. I'm not being cheeky, it really does.

I'm so very happy that you have such a great support system, I guess you really do find out who your friends are at a time like this.

That said, we, your virtual friends, want to help too. I know you're getting a lot of offers elsewhere but if you give us a chance, we would be grateful to help.

Your trees are a great idea, let me know what you decide. I'll be making those kinds of decisions in about a year or so. :)

Uki Chick

I think Mare really put it best. You guys are an inspiration. It's huge loss, but it is materialistic. The love and support of each other and your friends and family is irreplaceable. I'm thrilled to hear that the new house will be built and that you will have something to look forward to. You plans for the trees and flowers are wonderful. Take care of yourselves!

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
SnP, avoid "remastered" versions of the CDs (however I couldI bet you already knew that).

I'm glad you got a nice deal with the insurance company, that's something that rarely happens.

Stop Laughing

Oh my god. I can't even fully comprehend what you're going through right now. Even living in a bit of a dump, I don't know how I'd get through something like that.

Aunty Em

Oh my gosh was that ur house. :eek:

I'm so sorry, I hope you get somewhere else soon. I can't imagine losing everything like that. I'd be devastated if I lost all my photos of Katie. :(

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Aunty Em said:
Oh my gosh was that ur house. :eek:

I'm so sorry, I hope you get somewhere else soon. I can't imagine losing everything like that. I'd be devastated if I lost all my photos of Katie. :(

Make copies and keep them in a safe deposit box...or if you have negatives keep those in a safe deposit box.

catocom

Or, scan them in, and save them online.
That's what I do with what I can.
Web storage space is "relatively" cheap now days.
You just need to make sure you "secure" what you need to. :nerd:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
catocom said:
Some of us still want to send money, or anything else you might need the most.
Do we sent it to the addy in the article?

That is very kind of you guys.

Right now, our immediate needs are 98% met. We don't know what lies down the road of course, but we're still going through donated clothes and stuff. We will have to replace everything...linens, silverware, dishes, cookware, appliances...all of it.

I don't want to sound like a beggar, but if anyone feels so led, we would certainly never forget it. We have but one request: Include a name and address so we can send thank you cards.

Our names are in the article, and mail can be sent to:

227 Rocky Hill Road
Bulls Gap TN 37711

As oft said...you guys rock.

catocom

SouthernN'Proud said:
I don't want to sound like a beggar,
There's a difference in a "hand out" and a "hand up".
There's no shame in a hand up man. Don't let pride get in the way of getting
back your livelihood. ;)

IMO, thank-yous, and maybe some pics, are more that sufficient to me.

tonksy

SnP, as part of my job I find myself in resale stores quite frequently and I find some great deals on good stuff often. If there are items that you need me to be on the lookout for just let me know. I know I can send you some glassware, maybe some dishes right away if you don't already have some. What size beds do you have? Wait, that's dumb...what size beds do you think you'll end up with?

Inkara1

There's no problem with asking for a little help in a time of need. I know that the money would actually do some good instead of being another New Orleans.

I donated to the tsunami relief effort, but for some reason I didn't feel any sort of urge to donate to New Orleans. After seeing what happened in the aftermath, I felt better in my decision.

unclehobart

If we start bulk shipping supplies, is there anywhere you can store it all in the interim before your house is remade? Stuff coming from all over has got to be a little space consuming.

Inkara1

That's why I figured a check would be better. Money in a bank is a lot easier to store than a chest freezer.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well, we are making progress.

We settled on a temporary home today. We will start moving clothes in later this week. It's furnished, but we are computerless for awhile, so...

We plan to rent a storage shed for large items until we get something permanent. Some items have been donated, like a microwave and even a bed for the walking tax deduction. It ain't exactly the size we were accustomed to, but it'll seem like heaven after a week of tripping over ourselves at my parents'.

We have more clothes now than before the fire I think.

It's a long slow process, but it's also strangely exciting...we'll be able to build a house that won't require updating and modernizing right away, one that's more to our liking as far as floor plan and space usage and that. I won't have to try and cut/split wood now...or 40 years from now...all our spare change won't have to be spent on paint and flooring and repairs and ad nauseum. We should end up with a better house in the long run.

If all goes as planned, and there is every indication that at least this part of the settlement will, the insurance from the structure of the house that burned will pay off the entire mortgage on the house that burned. That also includes our 3 1/2 acres. So the land will be free and clear, and all we will have to finance is the actual house we build. That's fortunate, because now we could have a 35,000 nicer home for the same mortgage payment, or lower our payment by keeping ourselves in check and staying with a similar size house.

We do appreciate everyone's concern. The offers to help us out are humbling and certainly will never be forgotten. At this point, we honestly don't know what we need...donations are still coming in, and we haven't received what was collected from AE's family's end in NC. I haven't been back to work since the fire, and I know there are some items there too. When we get unboxed later this week, we'll know a little more where we stand. We still have to complete the inventory for the insurance company (that is very painful...) and start the repurchase/reimbursement ordeal. Good thing about that is nothing is immediate...we have food, clothing, and shelter. We can take our time somewhat and be a little more selective, as these things will be used in the new house which is months away. My dad knows everybody in seven counties I think, so we already have talked to a furniture manufacturing plant manager, the man who custom built my CD cabinet, and a couple of contractors for debris removal and other services that my dad knows and are going to "cut us a break" on things. He also knows a man who is the owner of a modular home construction company, and I knew the guy when we were kids too...might be a little back scratching there too.

Like I said before, we really are blessed right now.

I go back to work tomorrow, and I'll try to attend to the PMs sent and the other offers/questions y'all have asked if I get a minute now and then. It's been a frantic few days, and right now I think AE and I need a little alone time to catch our breath and just hug each other for awhile. I'm gonna go do that...hope you understand. Thanks so much for the offers and the encouragement and everything. You all have been wonderful. Maybe we can have ourselves a little Mountain Construction thread started pretty soon. That'll be all right with me...I look forward to it actually. Hell, I might even learn how to scan a freakin picture thataway, who knows? There might be hope for this ol' redneck joining the 19th Century yet.

Y'all take care, I got some huggin to do. I'll get with ya tomorrow or so.