SnP and AllEars' won't be around much for awhile

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
And I see a 1966 Fairlane in mint condition parked outside it...

Do you ever live in the present world? Lincoln is related to Ford BTW :D

Aunty Em

Nixy said:
You see if you purposely burn down your house you go to JAIL, you do NOT get to sue a big company and then get a car...ooooh I hope it was a sony or some other big name :D
Wow, is there anything you guys don't sue for? Over here if your house burns down the insurance pays. I've never heard of anyone sueing cos the tv box caught fire, but then I don't know anyone whose house burnt down either, so maybe they do, I dunno.

Funny but it kind of put me in mind of all those weird warning lables I've heard about...

- On a massage chair: "Do not use massage chair without clothing... and never force any body part into the backrest area while the rollers are moving"
- On an electric router made for carpenters: “This product not intended for use as a dental drill”
- A warning label found on a baby stroller cautions the user to “Remove child before folding”
- A prescription of sleeping pills stating, “Warning: May cause drowsiness”
- A sticker on a toilet at a public facility warning: “Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking”
- A snowblower warning: "Do not use snowthrower on roof"
- On a dishwasher: "Do not allow children to play in the dishwasher"
- Unusual warning on a CD player: “Do not use the Ultradisc2000 as a projectile in a catapult.”
- An “Aim-n-Flame” fireplace lighter cautions, “Do not use near fire, flame or sparks”
- A label on a hand-held massager advises consumers not to use “while sleeping or unconscious”
- On a container of underarm deodorant: “Caution: Do not spray in eyes”
- On a cartridge for a laser printer: “Do not eat toner”
- A household iron warns users: “Never iron clothes while they are being worn”
- A label with a hair dryer reads, “Never use hair dryer while sleeping”
- A 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow warns: “Not intended for highway use”
- A cardboard car sunshield that keeps sun off the dashboard warns, “Do not drive with sunshield in place”
- On a Bathroom Heater: “This product is not to be used in bathrooms”
- A can of self-defense pepper spray warns users: “May irritate eyes”
- A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists: “Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover”
- A popular manufactured fireplace log warns: “Caution - Risk of Fire”
- A box of birthday cake candles says: “DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.”

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gonz said:
Do you ever live in the present world?

Look around you. Right now. Take at least 3 minutes and poke your head out your front door and just absorb what you see.

Now ask yourself. Why in the name of all things sane would I? :lloyd:

(Plus, this coming from a man who refuses to acknowledge Brian Johnson's AC/DC albums...)

Gonz said:
Lincoln is related to Ford BTW

Corporate name only. I ain't never owned a Lincoln, and never will. Fords, Mercuries, and Mazdas are all fair game though.

catocom

Inkara1 said:
That would almost make me consider burning down my house.
Not even close for me.
I've got stuff I wouldn't even remember to put on the ins. report, (or that they don't cover)
that's worth more...at least sentimentally.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
catocom said:
Not even close for me.
I've got stuff I wouldn't even remember to put on the ins. report, (or that they don't cover)
that's worth more...at least sentimentally.

What he said. It's amazing what each of us has, and we might know we have it, but underestimate how much it means to us.

Example...I used to play baseball. I was good. Very good. I had the game ball from my last game. I had held on to that stupid baseball for right at 25 years. It's worth about two bucks to the insurance company, but it meant a lot more than that to me. Now I don't have it anymore.

Family photos, keepsakes (I was the unofficial family historian, and as such, I had Gramma's family Bible) documents, sentimental items, high school yearbooks, Gramma's hand stitched and hand quilted quilts from the 1940s...poof. Gone forever. All of the housebrat's school photos, baby pictures...poof. I had a coffee mug from every place I had ever worked that made mugs. Poof. I'll have a hard time getting another autographed KISS poster, especially since Eric Carr is dead now. Poof.

Sucks.

Aunty Em

Yeah, all the things that define who you are and who your family are... you just can't get them back. That's what would hurt me most.

If I were you I would ask my family (extended) and friends to find any photos they may have of you and yours and get duplicates made so you can get together another album. It may not be as good as what you lost but it's something.

I need to think about getting some fireproof storage for Katie's photos and paintings.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
(Plus, this coming from a man who refuses to acknowledge Brian Johnson's AC/DC albums...)

Well, yea. Have you ever heard Brian Johnson?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I had the game ball from my last game. Family photos, keepsakes (I was the unofficial family historian, and as such, I had Gramma's family Bible) documents, sentimental items, high school yearbooks, Gramma's hand stitched and hand quilted quilts from the 1940s...poof. All of the housebrat's school photos, baby pictures...poof. I had a coffee mug from every place I had ever worked that made mugs. Poof. I'll have a hard time getting another autographed KISS poster, especially since Eric Carr is dead now.

Stuff is replaceable. These things aren't. A lesson to those of us who still have a house. Do something about it.

greenfreak

A lesson indeed. I think we have enough to warrant apartment insurance, which is fairly cheap. It's just getting there and doing it. I wonder if they would want appraisals on jewelry and crystal and all that stuff before writing the policy.

Professur

greenfreak said:
A lesson indeed. I think we have enough to warrant apartment insurance, which is fairly cheap. It's just getting there and doing it. I wonder if they would want appraisals on jewelry and crystal and all that stuff before writing the policy.

I'm insured up the wazooo. House, cars, contents, health, travel ... if I can insure it, it's insured.

Insurance is mostly concerned with you just making the payments ... until you try to claim. If you tell them you need $50000 of contents insured, they'll quote you a price and you're done. But should you claim ... then they want the proof. I've got CDs of a video walkthrough of each of my residences that I keep in the others. That way, I've got proof of ownership (and a damn good record should I forget anything). That puts it up to the insurance to try and argue down the claimed value. But ... noone ever comes close to actually insuring for the true value of everything they own. There's always the nickle and dime stuff that'll usually double the insured value.

greenfreak

Oh we have nothing near 50k. The orchidarium (and everything inside-I wonder if you can insure plants?), engagement/wedding rings, my wedding dress, and my collection of swarovski crystal are the big money items but they don't come close to that much.

Having a video is a great idea. Never thought of that. Do you include serial numbers on the video too?

Most people who rent don't get apartment insurance. But since my landlord claims he owns the place and doesn't rent it, I would most likely get screwed in the case of a total loss. Hrm. I should look into that this week.

Professur

I videotaped a sheet with all the serials on it (saved time). It's mostly legible, but can be digitally enhanced should there be the need.

Don't have $50K worth of stuff? You really so sure about that? How much do you have in pots and pans? Flatware? Take a list of everything in your kitchen one day (that includes the paper towel dispenser, candy thermometer, .. everything) and go get replacement prices (doing it online is quick, easy, and fun). I think you'll be suprised and scared at just how much money you've got wrapped up.

HomeLAN

GET RENTER'S INSURANCE! It's not replacement value of your stuff you worry about, althought that helps. It's liability. Someone slips on a wet/icy front walk and your ass is sued. It'd be nice to have the insurance co. in line in front of you.

greenfreak

We've just got farberware, no kitchen gadgets besides a $20 hand mixer and a 10 year old microwave. Silverware is from Target, dishes are in three different styles, all hand-me-downs. Shit. Now that I wrote all that, I just realized that we have crappy stuff. ;)

But you bring up a good point... I'm going to have a bridal shower thrown for me in the next couple of months. At which point, I'll have a lot nicer stuff than we do now. Rusty's already drooling over the Calphalon set. Everyday china. New bedding and towels. Appliances. Silverware.

greenfreak

HomeLAN said:
GET RENTER'S INSURANCE! It's not replacement value of your stuff you worry about, althought that helps. It's liability. Someone slips on a wet/icy front walk and your ass is sued. It'd be nice to have the insurance co. in line in front of you.
Renters insurance is for the value of what's contained inside, not liability I thought? If I'm the one who slips on the walk, I'm suing the house owner, not the tenant, right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Remember though, things like jewelry have a built in limitation. Ususally a couple grand. They require an additional rider (which, of ccourse, requires an additional fee). Get insured. I had renters & used it a couple of times & we have homeowners now. Once you get insured, actually read the policy & make amends to fix the limitations.

Correct about contents (although you can be named to the lawsuit)

greenfreak

What did you use it for? What was the total payout? And did your insurance go up afterwards?

I just thought of something else... So far, Geico hasn't figured out that Rusty is a licensed drive at my residence. If we do this and that comes out somehow, that would also raise my car insurance. Unless I go elsewhere.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Burglary. I had LOTS of electronics. One company dropped us & I forget about the other.

I had a Digital VCR that had a great picture. I still miss that one.