The Final Word On Walmart!

jimpeel

I am terribly sorry. I entirely forgot about asking about this because something else came up; but you might find that delicious as well.

It seems that there was a mandate which came down from corporate on the manner in which we are to monitor the self checkouts. We have always been out on the floor with the customers, zoning, cleaning, schmoozing, etc. Now they want us behind the main terminal monitoring the screen where the purchases are recorded and trying to watch the bagging areas (4) at the same time.

Many of us feel that this is not the best way to effectively serve the customers while also keeping tabs on the purchases being placed in the bags. So we simply wrote up a letter that explains our duties and how this new mandate will affect our ability to exercise those duties. This letter was to be submitted as an Open Door issue.

All went smoothly with about fifteen of us having signed the letter and then all hell broke loose. It seems that a couple of people who had no business in this decided they would confiscate the letter and take it to upper management. By doing so they denied several people who were interested in signing the letter, but had not yet had the opportunity to do so, their Open Door.

Long story short, the entire mess got straightened out.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Open Door policy of Wal-Mart; it is a way for employees to voice wrongs, real or imagined, to management and there can be no retribution against those who use the Open Door. If a manager does so, they can and will be fired. There is even a special number for employees to call to report such violations so the program is taken VERY seriously. It is a very good policy and I have used it several times since I have been with the company.

I am off tomorrow but will write myself a note to ask about the other issue and get back. I apologize for forgetting.

Winky

Well clearly your Wal-Mart isn't in da ghetto.

I thought it WAS the job of the self-checkout
cashier to be the self-checkout cashier

not off blathering with someone else

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort

You'd think, huh?

Glad to see you're alive though pal. I just knew you were fish food in Sam's goldfish pond by now.

2minkey

bootlicker
are you mad Son?

the ChiComs would ve all over our asses!

in them furry little goddamned hats....

chicom-pows.jpg

jimpeel

Well clearly your Wal-Mart isn't in da ghetto.

There are four SCO terminals and the main terminal where other transactions are done like payment by check, etc.

There is no "blathering" with anyone else. We greet the customers, ask about their day, help them with the termilnals, etc. Where you got that part about "blathering" I haven't any idea; but I think it may have come out of your imagination.

Winky

Where I GOT it was from your post!!!

It seems that there was a mandate which came down from corporate on the manner in which we are to monitor the self checkouts. We have always been out on the floor with the customers, zoning, cleaning, schmoozing, etc. Now they want us behind the main terminal monitoring the screen where the purchases are recorded and trying to watch the bagging areas (4) at the same time.

Winky

Minks, I LOVE that Korean War Pic!!!

Them poor bastards, if Macarthur had had his way
the prosperity of the south would extend all the way
right up to the Yalu today!

mem_carmin_pic2.gif

2minkey

bootlicker
hmmmm you mean the nukes in the north un-crossable radiation zone to prevent them fuckers from pouring over the border strategy?

2minkey

bootlicker
There are four SCO terminals and the main terminal where other transactions are done like payment by check, etc.

There is no "blathering" with anyone else. We greet the customers, ask about their day, help them with the termilnals, etc. Where you got that part about "blathering" I haven't any idea; but I think it may have come out of your imagination.

but we don't care about these operational details. walmart simply sucks, licks, bites, chews, and blows.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
At least if Mac had dropped the bomb they wouldn't have been so goddamed COLD!!!!!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm waiting with bated breath to see if the managers at his Walmart are even aware that there are Walmarts in Canada.

jimpeel

Where I GOT it was from your post!!!

I guess the first thing you need to understand is the part about "self checkout". There is no SCO "cashier" per se. What we do is to mingle in the immediate area where the SCO takes place. We take care of errors, canceled items, bagging, and a myriad of other duties -- all the while hoping the equipment continues to function properly. When it doesn't, we fix that also. We are not wandering off "blathering with someone else" The "someone else" you refer to is the four customers that are using the terminals.

When I said "schmoozing" I meant the customers in my direct sphere of influence. Am I supposed to ignore them? If I did there would be those here, perhaps even yourself, who would say "They ignore me when I'm usuing the SCO terminals so that's why I believe Wal-Mart is such a bad place."

In fact, the issue of our being behind the main terminal watching a screen is what is galling us. We WANT to be with the customers so we can service their needs properly and in a timely manner. We simply cannot do that if we are in some remote position where we have to walk around to get to the customer to serve those needs. Perhaps you prefer the aloof, remote operator who ignores you like those of our competition. Well, I would suggest you continue to go to those types of stores because if you were to come to my store you would see what real service is.

We try to give every customer as much personal service as we can and that includes greeting them, asking as to their well being, and generally having small talk if they desire. There is no attention paid to one customer to the detriment of all the others. We move about, as one does at any function, and share our time among those customers. You, on the other hand call that "blather" and being "off" somewhere which simply is an imaginary position born of taking everything I wrote completely out of context.

Here I am detailing in minute detail for you when everyone else here seemed to get the shortened version just fine. Are we now clear on this; or must I now parse every word sentence by sentence?

jimpeel

that sucks. you sound like a pissed off thrid grade teacher scolding a kid. *handonhip

I guess that leaves only one question:

Were you as confused with my meaning in the original post as Winky?

Please also note that if I were as picky as you believe I would have similarly scolded you on your post as well.