The Final Word On Walmart!

BeardofPants

Sonny Jim I mean this in the nicest possible way, but why do you think we care about hearing about your lil' workplace's operationals? I wouldn't've thought that being a walmart toady would've been anything you wanted to brag about online, let alone explain every lil' minutiae. :confused:

2minkey

bootlicker
Please also note that if I were as picky as you believe I would have similarly scolded you on your post as well.

have at it. be sure to use "pursuant" again. that gets me *hot*.

(or should i've placed the period inside the asterisk? i wonder.)

jimpeel

have at it. be sure to use "pursuant" again. that gets me *hot*.

Then let me get you just absolutely gooey.

pur·su·ant /pərˈsuənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[per-soo-uhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. proceeding after; following (usually fol. by to): Pursuant to his studies he took a job in an office.
2. pursuing.
–adverb Also, pur·su·ant·ly.
3. according (usually fol. by to): to do something pursuant to an agreement.
4. in a manner conformable (usually fol. by to): to act pursuant to the dictates of one's conscience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1425–75; late ME, var. of pursevant pursuivant]

Was it good for you too?

(or should i've placed the period inside the asterisk? i wonder.)

Nope. Everything was as it is supposed to be. I do find the use of asterisks in place of quotation marks a bit odd but it seems to be the trend these days. :shrug:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Interesting. Now I'm really curious as to this practice. I'm on vacation and won't get back to work until next Wednesday. I'll ask about it then.

Tell ya what there spiffy...never mind. It's obvious you have no life after you take off your little blue vest for the day. Just you concentrate on networking around the front of the place and toeing the corporate line and making the Walton family another $1.18 per hour with your efficiency. Nowhere have you been able to even remotely do what you tried to do initially...justify the actions of this corporation as relates to how they treat their employees. You tried to paint my example as a Norma Rae situation, then was going to find out this and that. Instead, you have managed to waste a chunk of cyberspace telling us all how a self check out system is attended to.

You'll be working there, doing the same job, 40 years from now most likely. Enjoy it. If I get my way, you'll be a lot less busy when you're at work though.

jimpeel

Sonny Jim I mean this in the nicest possible way, but why do you think we care about hearing about your lil' workplace's operationals? I wouldn't've thought that being a walmart toady would've been anything you wanted to brag about online, let alone explain every lil' minutiae. :confused:

Because you are here listening, that's why.

You may be ashamed of your profession; but there are still some of us out here who go to work every day and try to perform to the highest standard of excellence. We kinda like to brag about that to those who don't.

As to being a "toady"; whose toady are you?

jimpeel

Tell ya what there spiffy...never mind. It's obvious you have no life after you take off your little blue vest for the day.

I guess you are not a knowledgeable about Wal-Mart as you believe yourself to be. We haven't had vests -- blue or otherwise -- for some time now.

Nowhere have you been able to even remotely do what you tried to do initially...justify the actions of this corporation as relates to how they treat their employees.

The truth really bothers some people, I see.

You tried to paint my example as a Norma Rae situation, then was going to find out this and that. Instead, you have managed to waste a chunk of cyberspace telling us all how a self check out system is attended to.

Yet here you are reading and responding to it like a good little Wal-Mart basher.

You'll be working there, doing the same job, 40 years from now most likely. Enjoy it. If I get my way, you'll be a lot less busy when you're at work though.

I'm happy to know that you believe that I will live to be one hundred.

I do enjoy it, just like I have enjoyed nearly every job I have ever undertaken.

I'm sure you get up every morning with dread in your heart on how you are going to make it through another dreary, boring, mundane day at your job; watching the clock; timing every break; and squirming with delight at the prospect that the quitting bell is a mere few seconds away at the end of the day.

Then you come here and denounce those who like their jobs because they are simply not as miserable as you are.

Shop where you desire and pay what you will. That is not only your choice; it is the American way. Just be glad you don't have to stand in long lines waiting for the simple things in life like toilet paper.

BeardofPants

Because you are here listening, that's why.

Actually, my eyes glazed over after the first missive, so yeah... :shrug:

You may be ashamed of your profession;
No, no I love where I work, but thanks for asking. :laugh:

We kinda like to brag about that to those who don't.

As to being a "toady"; whose toady are you?

I work for the Defence Force, since yer asking. I'm in the intelligence field, so I can't actually tell you exactly what I do, but I enjoy it a LOT more than my student stints with the supermarkets, lemme tell ya. As far as bragging rights go, I assure you, my work is valued. So much so that people are using my stuff overseas. How about you?

Inkara1

I guess you are not a knowledgeable about Wal-Mart as you believe yourself to be. We haven't had vests -- blue or otherwise -- for some time now.

April or May, I believe, is when they implemented the new dress code, at least in California stores. No more smocks. But I'm not sure five months is really "some time now," especially when you aim that at someone that's actively boycotted the store for years.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Sam Walton said:
I'm sure you get up every morning with dread in your heart on how you are going to make it through another dreary, boring, mundane day at your job; watching the clock; timing every break; and squirming with delight at the prospect that the quitting bell is a mere few seconds away at the end of the day.

If only you knew what I do five days a week. It's not exactly stocking yarn on shelves or running a self checkout, I assure you.

It's on here in numerous places. Happy hunting. If you would like some help finding it, there will be an associate along sometime within the next 3-4 hours.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Oh, and just to clarify...I'd say that thus far I've seen more negative comments about WalMart in this thread than positive, even if you don't count mine. People are figuring you guys out. Thank God.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
When I ran into Wal-Mart last night for some Pepsi & Minute Rice, they were wearing those stupid blue vests. I went there instead of some local grocer because they were closer (and no, SnP, I didn't but a bicycle & a book & a can of motor oil while I was at it :p )

jimpeel

Oh, and just to clarify...I'd say that thus far I've seen more negative comments about WalMart in this thread than positive, even if you don't count mine. People are figuring you guys out. Thank God.

You e-meet a person who strives to give the excellence in service you claim you want; but you still have nothing but negative comments. You simply paint with a broad brush because you hate the company they work for. "Wal-Mart is a POS so all of their employees are a POS; jimpeel works for Wal-Mart vis-a-vis jimpeel is a POS also".

Your anger and hatred will eventually eat you up from the inside out.

In the meantime. I work at the SuperWal-Mart in Longmont, CO north of Denver. Come in some time and watch me work, ask me some questions, listen to my banter with the customers, and prepare to be amazed. I am nothing like what you have come to expect.

I believe that the customer is number one; I believe in excellence in service; I believe in respect for the individual; and I know who pays my wages -- the customer.

I'm the cashier who wears a tie and french cuff shirts every day. I'm easy to recognize because I dress better than the managers. Do drop in some time. We'll have a beer after I get off.

jimpeel

When I ran into Wal-Mart last night for some Pepsi & Minute Rice, they were wearing those stupid blue vests.

June 18 was the drop-dead date for all vests to be discarded nationally. There should be no vests anywhere now.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
In the meantime. I work at the SuperWal-Mart in Longmont, CO north of Denver. Come in some time and watch me work, ask me some questions, listen to my banter with the customers, and prepare to be amazed. I am nothing like what you have come to expect.

Don't stand on one leg waiting. I'm in Dixie, in Dixie I shall remain, and travel outside her borders is not in my plans for the forseeable future. And I can assure you or anyone else, with all sincerity and seriousness, that if/when I do travel, I'd be inside a tampon factory before a WalMart.

As for your take on my opinions, you are welcome to be as wrong as you like. It doesn't stop about half a dozen others on here from being so on a daily basis, and more than that on selected topics.

As to your work ethic and choice of attire, bravo and I could not possibly care less. How I dress at work has precisely Jack Schidt to do with how well I do my job, and I don't think it makes a difference with you either. In fact, when I shop if a store employee keeps "bantering" with me I do my best to pass gas silently and see if they'll leave. I didn't come in to talk to you, I came in to buy raisin bread or whatever. Keep flappin that yap and you annoy me. I ain't fun when I'm annoyed, especially when I'm trying to give someone my hard earned money. Given my preference, you'd be quiet until asked something.

Last point: It appears your deep personal knowledge into the inner workings of this evil corporation isn't as thorough as you like to think it is. Time and again people from all over the place have reputed your absolutes. And you have YET to provide anything but unsubstantiated lip service to my original points of contention, nor have you found out what you went in search of almost 2 weeks ago. Face it...you're a toady and nothing more. Maybe you need to consider that you are one person at one location, and leave the minutia to others who drive nicer cars and make more money from WalMart than you do. You don't see me on here giving in-depth analysis and propoganda about my employer. Because I don't make top level decisions. I do my job to the best of my ability, then I come home and forget the place exists (whenever possible, what I do DOES have a tad more ramification than self check-out duty) until I have to go back again.

Good day.

tonksy

Jim, you may be lucky to work for a fine Walmart. Good for you. All the ones I have been in in the last handful of years (except for one near Coldwater, Alabama) have been awful.

jimpeel

As to your work ethic and choice of attire, bravo and I could not possibly care less. How I dress at work has precisely Jack Schidt to do with how well I do my job, and I don't think it makes a difference with you either.

Actually, you should; and it does. Study after study has shown that the choice of attire has a profound effect on the work ethic. Most companies which formerly had the "casual Fridays every day" ethic have abandoned that policy after they found the work ethic and productivity tanked. There is more that goes to one's pride in their appearance than you might think.

In fact, when I shop if a store employee keeps "bantering" with me I do my best to pass gas silently and see if they'll leave.

I guess you failed to pay attention to my post HERE wherein I stated:

We try to give every customer as much personal service as we can and that includes greeting them, asking as to their well being, and generally having small talk if they desire.

You also seem to miss the fact that I am a cashier in a fixed location. If I am bantering with the customer it is as I am scanning their goods to get them out the door. I am not merely standing there in the middle of the floor "bothering" them, keeping them from their appointed rounds, and waiting for them to exhibit your level of barnyard etiquette.

At the self check out, I am constantly circulating among the customers to assist them with their purchases. Usually, any topic of conversation is initiated by them. My comments at the SCO are usually confined to the customary greeting amenities.

I ain't fun when I'm annoyed, especially when I'm trying to give someone my hard earned money. Given my preference, you'd be quiet until asked something.

Yes, we get your type also. We simply do our best to cattle them out the door so we can serve the nice people waiting patiently behind them. Please continue shopping elsewhere.

... nor have you found out what you went in search of almost 2 weeks ago.

Actually, I did find out about that. I was told that it is not a customary action to paste the yellow smiley stickers on bags to ostensibly "seal" them shut; but if that is being done it is at the store level and not by corporate mandate.

I do my job to the best of my ability, then I come home and forget the place exists ... until I have to go back again.

I guess you are truly miserable in your job but too stubborn or unqualified to change to something better that you might actually like doing.

I called it pretty close in my post HERE when I said:

Then you come here and denounce those who like their jobs because they are simply not as miserable as you are.

I hope some day you get the gumption and wherewithall to find a better job; perhaps as a door greeter at Wal-Mart?