The Final Word On Walmart!

jimpeel

Jim, you may be lucky to work for a fine Walmart. Good for you. All the ones I have been in in the last handful of years (except for one near Coldwater, Alabama) have been awful.

Number one in the district; number fourteen in the nation at the last report. :D

catocom

I think it probably dose vary Some by the location, and manager.
The one in the local city here has a turn-around greater than Any oner industry,
including MceyD's.
Just a couple of exits down, at a brand new Wal-mart, it's like a Whole
different company, it's close to the Sam's club too. (very good atmosphere)
I have heard of some problems from several previous employees of the
Sam's there, that has been there for a decade or more, of some insurance
troubles.

It seems that Sam's has a fairly high turn-around too.:shrug:

In defense of Wal-mart....don't hit me SnP..*ducks...I do like the Sam's choice cola, and buy quite a bit of it.

jimpeel

I think it probably dose vary Some by the location, and manager.
The one in the local city here has a turn-around greater than Any oner industry,
including MceyD's.
Just a couple of exits down, at a brand new Wal-mart, it's like a Whole
different company, it's close to the Sam's club too. (very good atmosphere)
I have heard of some problems from several previous employees of the
Sam's there, that has been there for a decade or more, of some insurance
troubles.

It seems that Sam's has a fairly high turn-around too.:shrug:

In defense of Wal-mart....don't hit me SnP..*ducks...I do like the Sam's choice cola, and buy quite a bit of it.

Working for Wal-Mart is training for your next job. There are many people who started out at Wal-Mart, just as there are those who started at Mickey-Ds, who then moved up to other sucessful retail endeavors. That is why there is such a high turnover there.

We do have great insurance, Blue Shield / Blue Cross to be specific. To hear some tell it, we don't have any at all.

You will always hear the bad side of the story from a disgruntled employee of any firm -- Wal-Mart included. We have had several at my store as well. There have been several fired for absence, cursing (a big no-no at Wal-Mart), insubordination, stealing, etc. I have talked to a couple who have said they were picked on, etc but when you talk to their fellow employees, NOT management, you find that they were warned several times to temper their language or whatever. They failed to do so and were eventually shown the door. For this, the company is to blame in their mind.

OldHippie

Being the cheap bastard that I am I go to Wal-Mart. Why should I pay the Big Ego Local shop owner 15-20% more for the same thing I can get cheaper at Wal-Mart.

2minkey

bootlicker
despite what skinpeel tells you... wally world intentionally keeps many from working full time (i.e. keeps 'em just under 40/week) to avoid paying for health insurance. then they proceed to instruct them on how to apply for and receive public assistance. apparently this is widespread.

but i don't know of course, because i've never work that clever blue vest.

Burns: Some men hunt for sport,
Others hunt for food,
The only thing I'm hunting for,
Is an outfit that looks good...

See my vest, see my vest,
Made from real gorilla chest,
Feel this sweater, there's no better,
Than authentic Irish setter.

See this hat, 'twas my cat,
My evening wear - vampire bat,
These white slippers are albino
African endangered rhino.

Grizzly bear underwear,
Turtles' necks, I've got my share,
Beret of poodle, on my noodle
It shall rest,

Try my red robin suit,
It comes one breast or two,
See my vest, see my vest,
See my vest.

Like my loafers? Former gophers -
It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
But a greyhound fur tuxedo
Would be best,

So let's prepare these dogs,
Mrs. Potts: Kill two for matching clogs,
Burns: See my vest, see my vest,
Oh please, won't you see my vest

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you are hired as a full time worker & the benefits cannot be toyed with that way. OTOH, if you were hired as part time & request FT...I have no idea. Benefits are not typically reliant on hours worked (save for the FT/PT status). As for the coaching to get gov't cheese, I've heard that but the two people I know who've worked for Wally World must have missed that class. My bet is, it's part of the gov't to work program-sponsored by the gov't. Union Lies: Speading Communism to You.

catocom

We do have great insurance, Blue Shield / Blue Cross to be specific.

psst, you just contradicted yourself there.
They suck.

then again in WM's defense, that is what most chicken plants , and other
bigger businesses carry around here, so it's not "considered" to be 'cheap'.
but I know Many people that have had trouble with them.

They used to be a little better, before HMOs.:shrug:

It seems ATM there aren't very many Great insurance companies though.
State farm and many others have been hammered with big claims from
different natural disasters, and seem to be having trouble paying out.
So they stall as much as possible, and even turn down legit claims, ....
trying to stay afloat I guess.

chcr

Too cute for words
The title of this thread is a lie! ;)

Re. BCBS, their prescription coverage is definitely superior to Cigna (I have both). Re their paying of doctors, I hear it's pretty poor. Can't vouch for any others.

jimpeel

despite what skinpeel tells you...

A mere amateur at bastardizing my name. Don't you think I have heard them all? Potato peel, orange peel, et al? But let me help you out, shall I?

There was an Italian kid who lived next door when I was in my early teens. He pronounced my name "Peeoh" which was quickly picked up on and I became "Peehole". Top that if you will.

... wally world intentionally keeps many from working full time (i.e. keeps 'em just under 40/week) to avoid paying for health insurance. then they proceed to instruct them on how to apply for and receive public assistance. apparently this is widespread.

That is pure bulls--- spread by the likes of wakeupwalmart.com which is a webpage hoisted by union hacks. They say that Wal-Mart is a bad place to work but if Wal-Mart went union tomorrow they couldn't say enough good about them. All they want is the dues from 1.8 million Wal-Mart employees so they can continue driving around in limos, flying in private jets, and telling the rank and file how, and for whom, to vote.

Go to their site HERE and see the lies they spread and then go HERE and see the truth.

Wal-Mart Announces Improvements to 2008 Health Benefits Package

Wal-Mart Recognizes Associate Contributions by Giving Back More than $1.1 Billion in Profit Sharing, 401(K), Stock Purchase and Merchandise Discounts to Hourly Associates in the U.S.

Wal-Mart Celebrates Associate Contributions with Bonuses and New Initiatives to Reward Performance and Service

Wal-Mart Donates $4 Million to America’s Second Harvest

Wal-Mart Cuts Generic Prescription Medicines to $4

Charitable giving factsheet

Wal-Mart Recycles Retired Associate Vests to Support U.S. Troops

Salvation Army fact sheet

Military support fact sheet

So what have those lying commie bastards over at wakeupwalmart.com given to charity and our troops?

jimpeel

By the by, that bulls--- about "wally world intentionally keeps many from working full time (i.e. keeps 'em just under 40/week) to avoid paying for health insurance." try this on for size:

Wal-Mart’s Health Care Benefits are Competitive in the Retail Sector

When compared to other retailers with similar business models – such as Target and The Home Depot - Wal-Mart’s health benefits are competitive in the retail sector. In many areas we, along with Target and The Home Depot, are setting the standard.

Eligibility:

Wal-Mart offers health coverage to both full- and part-time associates -- only 23% of all employers offer coverage to their part-time employees.

On average in 2005, 73% of all associates were eligible for Wal-Mart plans and 43% of all associates chose to enroll. In January 2006, the number of associates covered by Wal-Mart health care insurance increased to 46%.

According to a 2005 survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation, the proportion of Wal-Mart associates eligible for company health care benefits (73%) is comparable to other large employers (79%) and significantly higher than the retail industry average (61%).

Coverage:

We estimate that more than three-fourths of Wal-Mart associates have some health insurance, through either a company plan, a spouse’s plan, or Medicare.

According to a survey conducted by The Segmentation Company, 5% of Wal-Mart associates are on Medicaid. This is lower than the retail sector average of 6% and only slightly higher than the national average of 4%.

27% of the children of Wal-Mart associates are on Medicaid or S-CHIP programs, a proportion lower than the retail sector average of 36%.

Affordability:

Wal-Mart’s deductible for individual coverage starts at $350, which is comparable to our competitors.

We have plans available for as little as $11 per month for associates and 30 cents more per day for children. These innovative plans include some first-dollar coverage for doctor visits and drugs.

Preventive dental coverage with no deductible is available to individuals for as little as $6.52 per month, to associates and their children or spouses for $13.58 per month, and to families for $20.64 per month.

Company Contribution:

Historically, Wal-Mart’s contribution to both individual and family health care coverage has been approximately two-thirds of the total cost.

The total benefits package for a Wal-Mart associate includes, in addition to health care, programs such as company contributions to 401(K)/profit-sharing plans, associate discount cards, paid time off and life insurance. In FY 2006, Wal-Mart is projected to spend roughly $4.7 billion on associate benefits.

2minkey

bootlicker
That's what I figured. Isn't baseless, word-of-mouth gossip just the most wonderful thing?

nah i just don't feel like doing the wanker dance and debating "fact" with you. i don't care if you folks wear a blue apron with corncob cuff links or what, and i don't need you to tell me what people think of wally world given what i do for a living. which i'm not going to tell you about.