The "unforgiveable" sin

Rose

They say it's suicide. It's a horrible, rotten sin that can't be forgiven.

What makes suicide more horrible than murder - taking your own life vs. taking someone else's life.

Perhaps I don't understand?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It's only in christian society that is the worse sin, in other places and times it was perfectly acceptable.

Rose

Well, that makes a little more sense. The question was prompted by a lady in the office mentioning something or other to someone else.

Personally, I'd think if you were going to kill someone - might as well do the world a favor and kill yourself. And dammit, get it right the first time.

But that's harsh.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Re: The

I think it's just the sign of weakness that is inherent in killing oneself. You have given up on becoming a worthy member of society. Personally, I think that some people do the world a favor by offing themselves.

tonksy

suicide is for quitters...unless you have some awful disease that is just gonna ravage your body and make your life miserable until you die....there are times when i hate life and would love for someone to club me in the head with a sledgehammer so that i could just call it quits but that's not what life is about....but life is all there is and i suppose if you can't cut it you can do what you like....even if it does mean you are weak....for me i prefer to think that it's all some kind of test and things have a way of working out and i don't know what tomorrow is gonna bring.

And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry.

kinda corny...but there you go :shrug:

Ms Ann Thrope

PuterTutor said:
I think it's just the sign of weakness that is inherent in killing oneself. You have given up on becoming a worthy member of society. Personally, I think that some people do the world a favor by offing themselves.

Yep, I agree. Personally, I think it should it be accepted by society, and not just physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill. If someone wants to die why shouldn't they be able to take care of it? It's not as if the human race is in danger of extinction. :rolleyes:

Rose

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Yep, I agree. Personally, I think it should it be accepted by society, and not just physician-assisted suicide for the terminally ill. If someone wants to die why shouldn't they be able to take care of it? It's not as if the human race is in danger of extinction. :rolleyes:

agreed

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member

I know absolutely that I'd not be able to forgive...for example, hubby...

for him to do that to his children because he can't lie in the bed he made would be absolutely unforgiveable.

Ms Ann Thrope

I agree, it would be painful for the survivors. However, is it any easier for family and friends to be around someone who is always miserable? someone who is always depressed, negative and sees no hope or joy in the world anymore? wouldn't it be better for that person to just "leave"?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member

whatever a man is, to kids, he's still their daddy, and that's all they want.

Ms Ann Thrope

Leslie said:
whatever a man is, to kids, he's still their daddy, and that's all they want.

My father was my "daddy" and he was unhappy 100% of the time. He hated the world and most everything in it. It has certainly affected me and made me who I am. I don't doubt that I would be far healthier as an adult if he hadn't been around. :shrug:

Professur

If all your affairs are in order, and you've said your goodbyes ... Make it quick and painless.

but cutting out because of your problems is cowardly. cutting out on your family and kids, is dispicable.

But far and away worse ar ethe ones who can't stand to leave their kids behind and try to take them with him. Often as not, all the kids are dead, and suicide larry botches the job on himself. Usually because cutting your wrists hurts.

Ms Ann Thrope

Professur said:
If all your affairs are in order, and you've said your goodbyes ... Make it quick and painless.

but cutting out because of your problems is cowardly. cutting out on your family and kids, is dispicable.

But far and away worse ar ethe ones who can't stand to leave their kids behind and try to take them with him. Often as not, all the kids are dead, and suicide larry botches the job on himself. Usually because cutting your wrists hurts.

I agree, don't take anyone with you. However, if you're that miserable and unhappy, END IT! Don't subject the people around you to your constant depression and anger, especially if they're kids and can't leave. :mad:

Starya

Well, the alternative to ending it if miserable would perhaps be.. getting help? Sure, some people might be a pain to be around because of their depressed state etc, and they might not want to live anymore. But to say they are welcome to off themselvs makes me a bit queasy.

When it comes to those who leave family-members behind, not having given any indications there was a problem - I fully understand the sentiment that it is cowardly and dispicable. But then, people who do this can hardly be considered sane at the moment the suicide took place, and thus I would find it hard to judge.

Ms Ann Thrope

Not everyone wants help. Not everyone sees their sickness. I'm not suggesting every unhappy person should kill his/herself. Only suggesting that there are some cases where it should be considered an option. Better to end it than to subject other people to your constant anguish.

Starya

I disagree. Well, not on the part that there are people who honestly don't want help or benefit from it. The thing is, many mentally ill will refuse help at some stage. The might get over that stage. They might eventually be helped, and find life worth living. If suicide was an "acceptable" option many might not get to that stage. Then the question is; which is better, for people who could have been helped to die, or for people who cannot be helped to live?