2006 Tropical Storm Season Now Below Normal

highwayman said:

Ahhh. 62 billion sounds better. I know they were having trouble getting approved for 17 billion at first and were told to cut it back. Still a pittance compared to the funds going to Iraq.

Contractor's overbilling the government? Say it ain't so.

The lion's share of the money has gone to firms like politically-connected AshBritt of Florida. The company received $500 million, reports CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.

Davis said many contracts were awarded without competition. Government officials at the hearing said these contracts are being replaced with competitive awards.

Politician's creating ways to turn tragedy into ways to rip off the taxpayer for fun and profit again. Damn.

spike said:
Ahhh. 62 billion sounds better. I know they were having trouble getting approved for 17 billion at first and were told to cut it back. Still a pittance compared to the funds going to Iraq.

Contractor's overbilling the government? Say it ain't so.

The lion's share of the money has gone to firms like politically-connected AshBritt of Florida. The company received $500 million, reports CBS News correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.

Davis said many contracts were awarded without competition. Government officials at the hearing said these contracts are being replaced with competitive awards.

Politician's creating ways to turn tragedy into ways to rip off the taxpayer for fun and profit again. Damn.

Political reporting at it's finest. I challenge you to find any large contracting firm that's not politically connected. And contracts are often awarded without bids, simply because there's only so many companies big enough to handle the logistics. And for the record, most of those bids would later be sub-contracted to small, local firms.

Spike, you're smarter than this. At least make the effort.

Professur said:
Political reporting at it's finest. I challenge you to find any large contracting firm that's not politically connected. And contracts are often awarded without bids, simply because there's only so many companies big enough to handle the logistics. And for the record, most of those bids would later be sub-contracted to small, local firms.

Spike, you're smarter than this. At least make the effort.

Is it necessary for you to make some sort of negative personal comment with every reply?

The reason you stated for contracts being awarded without bid makes little sense. Are you under the assumption there's rarely any shady dealings in politics or contracting? Not sure where you're going with this.

I see. Me saying that you're smart is now a negative comment. Bye Spike

*and the monkey presses the button*

Rather coy of you don't you think?

you're smarter than this. At least make the effort.

Obviously implies that the comments I made weren't very smart and no effort was made. That is certainly a negative comment. I've had more than enough experience with passive-aggressiveness to recognize the comment for what it was.

Not sure what button your monkey is pressing but I hope it's a nice big red shiny one.

spike said:
2.5 billion? I knew it was pretty tiny compared to the money spent on Iraq rebuilding but not that small.

Too bad, innit? Guess what...It's not the job of the federal government to bail those people out, either. Funding for military operations is in the Constitution.

Gato_Solo said:
Too bad, innit? Guess what...It's not the job of the federal government to bail those people out, either. Funding for military operations is in the Constitution.

Yeah, there's some seriously doubt about whether the Iraq invasion was legal constitutionally or otherwise.
http://www.thefourreasons.org/iraqinvasion.html

Regardless, I'm sure you can see the controversy spending far more money rebuilding a country that we largely destroyed than we can spare rebuilding one of our own cities struck by a natural disaster.

spike said:
Yeah, there's some seriously doubt about whether the Iraq invasion was legal constitutionally or otherwise.
http://www.thefourreasons.org/iraqinvasion.html

Regardless, I'm sure you can see the controversy spending far more money rebuilding a country that we largely destroyed than we can spare rebuilding one of our own cities struck by a natural disaster.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Iraq campaign was approved by Congress. Regardless, I'm sure you can see the reasoning behind a well-funded militia, doing what is paid for by taxes under the Constitution, being more in line than using federal dollars on local issues...which is not in the Constitution.

All I see is a list of UN resolutions and ONE clause of the constitution that said "Don't break treaties".

Oh, that and the 1928 pact. I guess we should start apologizing to the Nazis for making an illegal war on them, 'cuz that broke the 1928 pact too.

I normally wouldn't have replied to this tripe, but I was waitin' for Prof to make up a good comeback about my front sway bar, and I figured "might as well just click the link" and, of course, there was no way I could read such blatant bullshit and allow it to stand unchallenged.

Gato_Solo said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Iraq campaign was approved by Congress. Regardless, I'm sure you can see the reasoning behind a well-funded militia, doing what is paid for by taxes under the Constitution, being more in line than using federal dollars on local issues...which is not in the Constitution.

My bubble is doing fine. Still seems to be some serious question of whether it was legal by several definitions. Fact is the militia is not doing what the Constitution intends it to by being in Iraq in the first place and taxpayer money paid to the non-militia doing the rebuilding is not covered by any stretch of the imagination.

Reason says taxpayer money should be used to benefit the taxpayer. Spending far more rebuilding a foreign land than a taxpayer city is absurd.

Altron said:
there was no way I could read such blatant bullshit and allow it to stand unchallenged.

You haven't challenged it yet. Blanket statements of "it's bullshit" does not make a convincing challenge to the evidence that was presented.

spike said:
You haven't challenged it yet. Blanket statements of "it's bullshit" does not make a convincing challenge to the evidence that was presented.

What evidence? You have made alegations towards countries including the one you claim to live in but have not made a convincing arguement of any wrong doing...

spike said:

What evidence? I didn't see any.

The money made available to rebuild Iraq after a natural disaster has been a fraction of the money made available to rebuild a foreign country damaged in a farce.

Back