A thread for Greenfreak....."If I were a plant, I'd be a......."

That's what I thought too. But apparently the cactus in that picture is really common and can grow almost anywhere. I also live very close to the beach so I have a sandy lawn, that helps with the drainage that they need. That particular cactus is about to bloom in a few weeks and later on, it grows fruit that you can eat.

HomeLAN said:
Aunty Em said:
An oak tree.

After reading about your past (especailly the last year), I believe it.

Old, knarled and battered with a lightening strike here and there, but basically still standing. And still capable of planting fertile seeds in young minds... :D

ris said:

Name: Iris means "rainbow" in Greek. Garden irises come in a broad spectrum of colours, but cut flower irises are mostly blue, white and yellow like the summer sky.
Colour: Navy, blue, white, yellow and combinations; also browns and lilacs.

Family: Irises belong to the family of Iridaceae, which also includes freesia. Interestingly most of our lovely spring flowers are related to each other, and grow from bulbs or other forms of underground rhizomes (root stocks)! They store their hidden beauty under the earth through the cold months and reveal it suddenly and brilliantly once the new season's warmth appears.

Care Tips: Select flowers in bud with colour showing. Keep cool to extend their life.

Trivia:
Facts: The popularity of irises over the centuries has been demonstrated in the still life paintings of the Dutch masters, and more recently has inspired Vincent van Gogh.

Mythology: In Greek mythology, Iris is the messenger of the gods who, cloaked in a robe of dewdrops reflecting the stars, communicates messages via the rainbow, the bridge between heaven and earth. The iris is the symbol of communication and the name itself means "rainbow".

Folklore: In some languages, irises are called flags or sword flags, relating them to symbols of heraldry and royalty, hence the original "Fleur de lys" of heraldry. In Japan the shape is seen to express heroism and the blue colour refers to blue blood, so irises play a key role in their spring festival for boys.

How's this for an oak tree:

p2.jpg

One of the many Iris that I planted last year is just starting to bloom this week. :)

greenfreak said:

Its awesome Greeny!

That photo brings to mind, one of the beautiful things I love about oaks, is that they thrive well, in the company of other trees, but if they 'ave to stand alone...........they stand.:)

75renegade said:
greenfreak said:

Its awesome Greeny!

That photo brings to mind, one of the beautiful things I love about oaks, is that they thrive well, in the company of other trees, but if they 'ave to stand alone...........they stand.:)

That's a beautiful oak. I have a pendant with an oak tree on it. :)

greenfreak said:
That's what I thought too. But apparently the cactus in that picture is really common and can grow almost anywhere. I also live very close to the beach so I have a sandy lawn, that helps with the drainage that they need. That particular cactus is about to bloom in a few weeks and later on, it grows fruit that you can eat.

Ash, I finally found out what the name of the cactus is. It's called "Prickly Pear" cactus and here's a picture:

prickly%20pear%20bloom.jpg

I highly reccommend it if you want something virtually indestructible that looks pretty and smells good. :)

Back