Anyone here.......

Mare

Mare said:
EIGHT DAYS.......I made it thru 8 days .
What REALLY sucks right now is "THE WAKE UP", its like a bad aftermath.. what we all call REALITY CHECK. Now I try in my mentally and physically to patch all that I realized I BROKE while I was drunk.
Full Plate Guess, Overwhelming. :confused:

(today will be day 9-I just pray I get there)

:swing: DID IT-MADE IT THRU-know what I can beat this...
Just like the song says-I get by with alittle help from my friends....
PS, thnx Tonks

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Just remember, no matter what lies haver been spread around, drinking is a choice, not a disease. 8 days or 800-it's what YOU decide to do.

Mare

Gonz said:
Just remember, no matter what lies haver been spread around, drinking is a choice, not a disease. 8 days or 800-it's what YOU decide to do.

I don't quite agree there Gonz, Alcoholism is a disease.....And I do believe it is hereditary...
BUT- YOU are right when you say it is MY choice wether or not to pick up that next drink-To me, it's a matter of will-power and strength within that person-and how bad they really want sobriety. And at this point in my life- It's One Day At A Time, thats all I have to offer myself. And honestly can't say there hasn't been a minute that went by that I didnt think about drinking, I CHOSE NOT TOO, which makes me feel better each day-the reality that I fucked up doesnt make me feel good though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Mare said:
I don't quite agree there Gonz, Alcoholism is a disease.....And I do believe it is hereditary...

The day you can put down cancer or malaria or chickenpox as easily as you put down the bottle I'll be convinced.

Staying dry gets easier with time. Keep it up. With thime it'll lose its appeal altogether.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Before my current job, I ran a bar/restaurant. There wasn't a night for six months that I didn't come home at least buzzed, and that's one of the reasons I had to quit working there. Most days I wouldn't start til around closing time, but there were some days I'd start drinking as soon as I got to work and keep a buzz on all night long. I was really worried that it would be hard to quit, but just getting away from there has done it. Now I might have a beer a couple times a month, but that's about it. It's not as hard as you think if you just remove yourself from the place where you drank. Now, if that's at home, that's tough. Try to find something else to do with your time is my best suggestion.

Mare

PuterTutor said:
Before my current job, I ran a bar/restaurant. There wasn't a night for six months that I didn't come home at least buzzed, and that's one of the reasons I had to quit working there. Most days I wouldn't start til around closing time, but there were some days I'd start drinking as soon as I got to work and keep a buzz on all night long. I was really worried that it would be hard to quit, but just getting away from there has done it. Now I might have a beer a couple times a month, but that's about it. It's not as hard as you think if you just remove yourself from the place where you drank. Now, if that's at home, that's tough. Try to find something else to do with your time is my best suggestion.

Yep-thnx for the suggestion Puter-And YES it was/is home that I do my drinking-Not one for bars myself. Its like you have :evilcool: on one side saying go ahead one or 2 won't hurt ya /and the other :angel: saying, the shaking will stop -think positive. Some ppl can stop and never look back-some ppl honestly have menatlly and physically convinced theirselves that they need it. Sorry to say, I'm one of those ppl?????

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Lucky for you, Mare, I'm one of those people who will convince you that its the LAST thing you need...And I'm always close by....:hug:

AlphaTroll

Mare, just remember, the drink (or rather those who make it) need you more than you need it. And you have the right approach to it, taking it one day at a time, after all that's how we all live our lives. We plan for the future, we remember the past, but in the end we can only live our lives one breath at a time. And every day that goes by for you without the booze is a little victory, so celebrate them - spoil yourself a bit (get a new hairdo, take your kids to movies, have a facial, get your nails done etc).

It's hard at first, but it does get easier to let go and move on. Like a relationship that's gone pear shaped - for a while you feel like life as you know it is over, but one day you realise that weeks have gone by without ever having thought of that person.

I'm glad to see you're sticking to your guns :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Mare, i'd like to share my experience with you, although i never considered myself a hardcore drinker, i thought of myself as a partial-social alcoholic.

My problem was that i was unable to be at a party without drinking and getting drunk. I didn't drink daily nor i ever left my obligations because of alcohol, but psychologically the drinking was affecting me, there was a moment when i thought "damn, what if i go to a party and don't drink (get drunk), would i have fun as well?", as you can see that sunked me into reflexion about me.

I decided to stop drinking at all, and i succeeded for about 2 or 3 months, after which i decided to drink again but moderately, to which i hold up to date, and it's been a while since i last got drunk.

Hold on Mare, you'll be fine :)

Oz

This is gonna sound harsh........but it was a bit of advice I got when I had to dry out.

I took myself along to a couple of AA meetings (some of the scariest and funniest hours of my life) and I met a guy who I got chatting to.

This fella was the stereo typical long-term drop dead alcoholic. Small, skinny and looked very old.....he had a bad stammer and had the concentration span of a goldfish.

After he mumbled a few pleasantaries......how are you? Nice day etc he looked me straight in the eye and said -

You're a young man.........you've got two choices.

Stop drinking. You'll get bored, depressed and feel like shit for a long time. But you will still be your own man.

Keep drinking. If you are LUCKY you will die. If you are UNLUCKY the drink will drive you mad. You'll forget everyone and everything around you........you'll even forget who you are. One day you'll find yourself in a shop trying to buy drink and not even knowing how to handle money. Then they put you in hospital for a long, long time. And when they let you out you'll STILL want to drink.

I had been sober for a week when he told me that.......I never touched a drop for 3 months after.

AlphaTroll

Wish I had someone to tell me that - I had to watch a friend OD (but survive) and have another friend OD (and die) before I kicked my habit.

In the end I decided to kick the stuff before it kicked me - best decision I've ever made. Once in a while I fall off the wagon & do stupid things, but it's not like it used to be - I no longer absolutely HAVE to snort 2 grams of coke to get into the 'party mood'. And XTC and acid have become optional, no longer an essential party favour. CAT is now something I stroke to make him purr - not something I put up my nose. Ketamine is for horses not humans. Rocks are hard objects you put in a garden to make it look pretty - not something you smoke from a glass pipe and speed is a thing that determines how fast you get from point A to point B, not a little 'pick me up'

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
bleach said:
You're a young man.........you've got two choices.

Stop drinking. You'll get bored, depressed and feel like shit for a long time. But you will still be your own man.

Keep drinking. If you are LUCKY you will die. If you are UNLUCKY the drink will drive you mad. You'll forget everyone and everything around you........you'll even forget who you are. One day you'll find yourself in a shop trying to buy drink and not even knowing how to handle money. Then they put you in hospital for a long, long time. And when they let you out you'll STILL want to drink.

I had been sober for a week when he told me that.......I never touched a drop for 3 months after.

There is someone who gets it. Hope he survived, dry.

ris

i found being the only driver in the household curtails my drinking plenty, operating as i do on a strict no drinking and driving clause.

i've been through several 3-4 month spells where i've steered completly off alcohol, i didn't find it all that difficult if i wanted to do it seriously. we have a fair bit of booze in the house but i rarely drink, my only really bad drinking habit is going out once or twice a year and getting seriously mashed with some good friends.
but then when i've seen them during the dry spells they don't give me any grief and if i quit booze tomorrow they'd not bat an eyelid. mates like those are priceless.

Mare

PuterTutor said:
Um, what the fuck were you thinking?

I wasn't thinking - I was drinking
:retard: for giving in so easily-not going to beat myself up on it. One Day At A Time, never was me-always thinking ahead-got hit with a bunch of :bs: yesterday and gave up. No more comments here :mope:

AlphaTroll

Mare said:
I wasn't thinking - I was drinking
:retard: for giving in so easily-not going to beat myself up on it. One Day At A Time, never was me-always thinking ahead-got hit with a bunch of :bs: yesterday and gave up. No more comments here :mope:

Mare - there will be tough days, some worse than others - please don't give in to the temptation to give up. The feeling of accomplishment when you have gone through a particularly rough day without a drop is so much greater than that quick fix feeling and subsequent remorse of having one drink.

Hang in there kiddo & remember that you're not a failure just because you had a setback. You just need to refocus & concentrate on staying sober.

The difficult part with giving in is that you need to work twice as hard to restart your 'sober' life.