Fuel Consumption/Car type

Altron

I did some research, and my car was the last passenger car with a carbureted engine sold in the United States (Only two vehicles after it were the 1991 Ford 351cid police car and the '94 mazda truck). I also found out some model numbers. The engine is a Oldsmobile LV2 307cid Rocket V8. The transmission is a GM Turbo-Hydramatic 200-4R, gear ratios 3.06 (1st) 1.63 (2nd) 1.00 (3rd) 0.70 (4th/OD) and 2.29 (R). It was also the last RWD car produced by Oldsmobile, and was called the 'Rock of Ages' by them. 1st generation was 71-76, 2nd was 77-90, third was 91-92.

Also learned is that Nixy's '87 Caprice wagon is completely identical to my car. The Caprice also used the Olds LV2.

What color was yours?

chcr

Too cute for words
TexasRaceLady said:
My fat-ass 01 Lincoln Town Car gets just a hair under 23 running around my little burg. On the highway --- and I rarely drive under 75-80, it will get about 25-26 mpg.

It would probably get 30 on the highway if I'd slow down. hehehe
You live in Texas. If you slow down it'll take two days to get anywhere.

Aunty Em

1997 Vauxhall Opal Corsa Breeze 1.4i 16v 5 speed

Urban 35mpg
Extra Urban 50-55 mpg
Combined 42-45mpg

And I do get that... Extra Urban is at a speed of 60 - 65mph in 5th gear.
Great little car for fuel consumption, very nippy in traffic... to the surprise of other drivers... :lol: although the new 1.2i is better with upwards of 60mpg on Extra Urban. It's very comfortable with longer front seatbelts than most and lots of legroom. Plus the boot will take a full size wheelchair and some shopping with no trouble. Quite remarkable as most small cars seem to lose out in that area and it was one of the things that sold me on it when I bought it. As you can now get an automatic transmission, I may go for another corsa when I need to buy my next car, it depends on what size mobility scooter I need when I can afford to get one. It will take one of the smaller ones easily... but that will be some time yet as there's still less than 19k on the clock.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
A.B.Normal said:
I have 94000k on my '03 ,that only gets 18mpg. :crap:

I dunno the mileage on my mom's car but it's only a little Cavalier so it gets a lot better than the 2001 Caravan she got rid of to get it...which she had less then 3 yrs and had over 50k on it.

Aunty Em

Nixy said:
19k on a 1997?! My mom has something like 53k on her 2004 :eek:

Yep, I could go out and get you the exact milage if you like. It had 9k on the clock when I bought it in May 2001. :D

It's an ex mobility car... the scheme here where you can hand over your mobility allowance for a lease car. I bought one with it rather than lease because the premiums you have to pay for any damage once a year can be quite high and with 2 kids in the car damage was inevitable.

On the scheme you get a new car every 3 years with regular servicing and breakdown cover and they sell off the old ones. Mine was previously leased to a guy in Aberdeen. When Katie died I still had a year to go on the hire purchase, but I'd been saving a small amount for her every month since she was 5, which was due to mature when she was 18. They repaid the premiums without profits, so that and some of the run-on benefits from her disability benefits paid it off, or I would have had to sell it and get an old banger. :)

The only debt I have left apart from utility bills is my student loan, and there is a distinct possibility that if they decide I'm permanantly unfit for work, under the terms of the contract, it will be written off. As it is for the moment I'm deferring it on a yearly basis until I'm actually working and earning enough to pay it.

catocom

I looked up the specs on mine.
I think I get a little better than what they say....
.........................................................................city/hwy
'87 Chevy van G30 Sport van.....5.0L/305ci...quadrajet...14/16
'87 Dodge Caravan Mitsubishi motor 2.6 4-cyl....fwd......19/22

With a good tune-up on my Chevy, which I need now, I think I
get around 15 city, but more like 26-28 hwy. It's got a different
transmission in it that had an overdrive.
If I use premium, which I'm supposed too, and it runs better on,
I think I get 18/30 maybe.

Cerise

When I hit the lottery, I'll force myself to deal with:

City: 10mpg
Highway: 20mpg

viprd3s.jpg

But until then I own a 4 cylinder 1996 Toyota Camry with 128,000 miles and it gets about 22mpg city and 32mpg highway. It doesn't make me smile everytime I look at it or give me an adrenaline buzz when I drive it but it does ok on gas.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Right now the average my car is getting according to the read out is 10.4L/100km (the car has gone just over 700km in total and a lot of that has been in traffic) but that number's dropping daily...this morning it was 10.6 I believe. When I got it last friday it was 13.7...just takes awhile for it to get to an accurate reading. The 10.4 works out to 22.6 miles/gallon for you backwards folks.

HomeLAN

Nixy said:
Right now the average my car is getting according to the read out is 10.4L/100km (the car has gone just over 700km in total and a lot of that has been in traffic) but that number's dropping daily...this morning it was 10.6 I believe. When I got it last friday it was 13.7...just takes awhile for it to get to an accurate reading. The 10.4 works out to 22.6 miles/gallon for you backwards folks.

It will also vary some as the on-board computer gets used to your driving habits and adjusts to compensate.

Give it a month or 6 weeks before you take it as real.