Gas Prices

Inkara1 said:
I'm averaging 26.7 in mixed driving in the Neon right now, and even at that mileage, $3.19 gas sucks.

Converting that into CDN dollars and litres I get 0.895642 CAD/L...prices like that would have people lined up at the pumps waiting for HOURS to get gas around here. I think all you Americans need to suck it up. Around here $1 is on the low end lately and that's 3.56 USD/gallon...now we know who's REALLY getting ass raped in this situation (the Canadians)

ANd for largely the same reasons. Your tax structure is simply tougher to pay for all those social programs.

Voice your displeasure at the polls.

HomeLAN said:
ANd for largely the same reasons. Your tax structure is simply tougher to pay for all those social programs.

Voice your displeasure at the polls.

I'm not complaining about how much income tax I pay.

Been tried. Libs promised to demolish the GST. 12 years later, the Tories are back in, and it's still here. Find a gov't that's willing to cut taxes, and you'll have the single mothers and welfare cases holding riots in your name. Know why the people who actually pay for those services don't riot? We're all too busy working.

Professur said:
Been tried. Libs promised to demolish the GST. 12 years later, the Tories are back in, and it's still here. Find a gov't that's willing to cut taxes, and you'll have the single mothers and welfare cases holding riots in your name. Know why the people who actually pay for those services don't riot? We're all too busy working.

Isn't there a plan inplace to cut the GST by 1% every so many months or something? Or was that just Harper talkin' out his ass again?

Professur said:

I feel your pain, and I see my country going the same way as the one you're in.

Breaks my fucking heart.

Want a closer target? Consider the enviromentalists. Massive opposition to any new drilling or refining capacity has a lot to do with gas prices as well, since it's a simple supply and demand situation. Can't drill in ANWR, and for god's sake don't open any nasty refineries anywhere. Between the politicians buying votes and the tree-huggers, we have a tough row to hoe.

Nix, Harper's held to everything he's put on the table so far. Just so long as he keeps the budgets level like Martin did, we're in good. My big worry is that he's gonna get hit like Charest did in Qc. Public servant unions knowing damn well that they're excessively inflated (as well as being predominately Separatist) flew a huge media campaign demouncing him as hating unions, destroying public services, raping unwed mothers, etc.

Right now, at this very moment in time, the average American citizen pays a higher percentage of income in taxes than at any point in history, including the "unbearable" taxes leading up to the Revolutionary War.

Think about it. Taxed before you get your pay, then on every purchase you make after you get what's left over. Taxes coming, taxes going.

Anybody feel like joining me in another secession movement yet?

HomeLAN said:
Oh, I have for years. Good luck battling the general apathy, though.

Reason number one why I want my kids to learn to hunt, fix their own cars, maybe even build their own homes. I want them to understand that food comes from farms, not supermarkets.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Right now, at this very moment in time, the average American citizen pays a higher percentage of income in taxes than at any point in history, including the "unbearable" taxes leading up to the Revolutionary War.

Think about it. Taxed before you get your pay, then on every purchase you make after you get what's left over. Taxes coming, taxes going.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SouthernN'Proud again.

Only two things impact gas prices: Tax levels and the law of supply and demand. There's no collusion or price-fixing by big oil, and there never has been. This is all about increased demand and reduced supply - simple economics. I agree with Neal Boortz - our elected representatives are well aware of this. It's no secret, and every expert who looks at the situation will tell you the same thing, provided they're not bought and paid for by one side or the other.

So, when Bush Or Chuckie Schumer or your state governor calls for investigations into big oil or a "windfall tax", here's the bottom line. What they're actually saying is, "You're ignorant, we know it, and we're going to take advantage of it."

Remember that come election time.

SouthernN'Proud said:

And how am I going to get my pay, then? :p

Seriously...the only way to lower taxes is to cut spending, and nobody wants that because so many folks are lined up at the government trough for free handouts and pork. The reason nobody complains is because pork=jobs. Funny thing is, that most pork gets added during election years. Go figure...

Back