Global warming?

highwayman

MrBishop said:
How about a radical change in thinking? Lets have higher emission standards on our vehicles and make...not suggest...make industries actually give up some of their bottom line and filter the shit they're throwing out into the water and air.

The emissions from todays cars are substantualy lowere then what it had been in the 70s...

I would go with the genoside on the unions and then address the political issues..

MrBishop

highwayman said:
The emissions from todays cars are substantualy lowere then what it had been in the 70s...

I would go with the genoside on the unions and then address the political issues..

The Unions ARE the political issues.

Today's car emissions could've been done in the 70's... today's car emissions should be near zero.... nobody pushed the car manufacturers. :shrug:

Why should manufacturers research and put out zero emission cars when they're selling cars that barely meet requirements now..and make a profit doing it?
Why are there still coal-fired power plants? Oil burning power plants? Oil heating in homes and businesses?

Two answers:
1) laziness
2) greed

take you pick...neither is good enough IMHO.

Professur

MrBishop said:
The Unions ARE the political issues.

Today's car emissions could've been done in the 70's... today's car emissions should be near zero.... nobody pushed the car manufacturers. :shrug:

Why should manufacturers research and put out zero emission cars when they're selling cars that barely meet requirements now..and make a profit doing it?
Why are there still coal-fired power plants? Oil burning power plants? Oil heating in homes and businesses?

Two answers:
1) laziness
2) greed

take you pick...neither is good enough IMHO.

You missed one. Market.

Without the usual tree hugger stupidity, take a good long look at what's on the road today. The factories are making low emission cars now. The problem is that noone's buying them. They're even making hybrid SUVs now. Who's buying them? Noone, that who.

Oh, and ... remind me what you drive again, Mr. Social Conscience?

jankerson

Professur said:
You missed one. Market.

Without the usual tree hugger stupidity, take a good long look at what's on the road today. The factories are making low emission cars now. The problem is that noone's buying them. They're even making hybrid SUVs now. Who's buying them? Noone, that who.

Oh, and ... remind me what you drive again, Mr. Social Conscience?

They can make all the Hybrids they want because most people won't buy them. They cost a lot, they are slow, neither are what Americans want.

I sold cars and I can tell you people don't want weak, slow and small cars unless that is all they can afford to buy. ;)

They want BIG, FAST and POWERFUL.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
With the exception of those of us who want trucks. 4X4 trucks. Manual tranny, sliding rear window, ain't-afraid-to-get-it-dirty trucks.

Trucks rule.

Professur

Hybrids still have one big deficiency. Energy density. I saw a GM concept hybrid over a decade ago, using a 100 lbs gas turbine engine mated to a flywheel. The energy density numbers were incredible (for ten years ago) but the technology just wasn't marketable. Noone would want to have to take their car to the airport to find a mechanic.

Today, if you buy any 'green' car, you're shafted (par'd the pun) for repair/maintenance. Even the dealerships usually only have one guy capable of working on it ... when he's not out getting even more training.

There's a maximum speed that new technology can be introduced to a market this size.

highwayman

SouthernN'Proud said:
With the exception of those of us who want trucks. 4X4 trucks. Manual tranny, sliding rear window, ain't-afraid-to-get-it-dirty trucks.

Trucks rule.

I'll stick with my auto trans, care to loan me your sliding rear window?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MrBishop said:
Lets have higher emission standards on our vehicles and make...not suggest...make industries actually give up some of their bottom line and filter the shit they're throwing out into the water and air.

communist