how long is your resume?

catocom

lol, I've only put together a resume once.
As I said in the other thread here somewhere, I usually had the job
even before the inter view.
I had to do a resume just for formality stuff, but I don't think they ever looked at it.
It was for a machine-shop "position" that was kinda in between, or inclusive of both white/blue collar stuff.
It was a 2 pager. (mostly stuff that had nothing to do with the job applied for.) :lol2:

ris

my last work cv / resume was a 12 page booklet 13cm square, double-sided printed, full of pretty pictures and 9pt text.
i'm working on one at the moment because i have to submit it when i am interviewed for professional architect-hood (not because i am leaving my office) and i am keeping it to 2 sides of a4, with pretty pictures and 10pt text.

Professur

Studied and utilized the subjects covered by many industry certifications including: A+, Cisco CCNA, and Net+.

Very nice. Unless they're paying attention, they might miss the fact that you don't actually have them. But that can backfire in a big way.

I keep mine at one and a half pages. Let the older stuff drop off. Noone's really going to be impressed by my Dos 3.3, WP5.1 or Wordstar skills. But then, I've carefully racked up exactly what I want for my resume. Management, acc't, computer, network, even cabling and electric. I can drive anything with more than one wheel. Cleared on forklifts and small backhoes. Worked for a jeweller, so I've been bonded.

Professur

In fact, it is. Many of the contracts my company holds require that employees be bonded. Many places where you work with sensitive data require that and more.

Kawaii

I don't have a CV yet since I'm still in the Gymnasium(High school-ish), but I think I'll use this layout:

title, contact info and all that]

[short intro]
Kawaii is a blahlbllbalhllhalblbblahbalblahblahlbabahablh etc etc

[degrees and skills]
* Whatever degree in something
* Quadlingual: Swedish, English, German and French(spoken/written)
* Certified Linux administrator
* blahblah
* blah

[real world experience]
* one year as co-administrator at Forsmarks Skola
* host at several very large LAN parties(Birdie, Dreamhack, Nitroxy etc)
* and
* so
* on

[closing comments]
you should hire me because....
I'll probably write it in LaTeX just because LaTeX documents look so damn sweet.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Huge said:
Here's my resume (I need to spruce it up).

I've always been told that your resume should be brief and on one page (depending on what you do). The reasoning is that during the interview, that is when you embelish on your job skills and what you've done in the past.
Dude, you went to Chubb. I'd go there just for the humor. I've got a major Chubb here. :lloyd:

Huge

MrBishop said:
A wee bit more space to differentiate between sections. (End of Experience and beginning of Computer Experience). Include Acrobat as a skill...many companies are looking for this, not to save paper but to increase security of docs across the 'net. Other than that...it looks clean. You can play with the leading if adding a seperator space pushes it to two pages. On your DPO experience (Second one)...can you move the date to the line above? It's kinda 'orphaned'.

As a former reviewer...I prefered to see skills, then application (experience), then Education. Just IMHO...others prefer Edu/Exp/Skills. :shrug:
Like I said, I need to spruce it up. :D

PT, I'd never recommend Chubb to anyone; they're a bunch of liars (they did nothing for me after graduating and paying them off after countless phone calls). The only reason I went there was because they were literally 5 minutes away from work.

Here's something for your chubb...;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
One page is good but if you're squishing to get it on then just go to two...two is better than squished and cramped etc

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Professur said:
Very nice. Unless they're paying attention, they might miss the fact that you don't actually have them. But that can backfire in a big way.
Every interviewer I've had at companies I'd like to get in to have noticed and brought that up. Thus far, only one has faulted me for not actually having them, and he was an asshole in general, didn't like him from the moment I shook his hand. I can usually even whip it around and turn it into a positive.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Nixy said:
One page is good but if you're squishing to get it on then just go to two...two is better than squished and cramped etc
That's what I'm thinking, because I do have some professional IT experience I want to outline.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tommyj27 said:
That's what I'm thinking, because I do have some professional IT experience I want to outline.

Then go two, don't squish it all on because they'll know that's what you did...and that doesn't look good if you can't even format your resume in a visually pleasing way...

tommyj27

Not really Banned
ok, i tightened things up, completely rewrote others, Let it drift into a better structured page and a half, sanitized it, and here it is. If anyone cares to comment I appreciate it.

and I removed all nasty rough revisions i had saved, how two revisions of a 54k doc increase the file size by 450k i don't understand..

abooja

For what it's worth, this part is lacking some consistency in voice:
Network security and support – Thoroughly enjoyed <school’s> class on network security. Is very interested in building and maintaining secure and useful computing environments. I run an extensive network at home for testing and personal use.
You might want to change "I run" to "Runs".

MrBishop

Network security and support – Thoroughly enjoyed <school’s> class on network security. Is very interested in building and maintaining secure and useful computing environments. I run an extensive network at home for testing and personal use.

AthleticsIs an avid rock climber and is active in many other outdoor activities.
I am very intersted....

I am an avid...I am active...
The sentences are awkward to read otherwise. You seem to bounce from third person to first person towards the end.

HomeLAN

Keep it third person. Awkward or not, first person is wrong-o.

You can also simply eliminate "is" in most cases.

Example
Athletics - Avid rock climber, active in many other outdoor activities.

BTW, I question the value of including that.

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Keep it third person. Awkward or not, first person is wrong-o.

You can also simply eliminate "is" in most cases.

Example
Athletics - Avid rock climber,

BTW, I question the value of including that.
I'd keep the rock-climbing in...it shows resolve, precision and strength of character...at least to those who are familiar with how difficult rock-climbing can be.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
tommyj27 said:
Every interviewer I've had at companies I'd like to get in to have noticed and brought that up. Thus far, only one has faulted me for not actually having them, and he was an asshole in general, didn't like him from the moment I shook his hand. I can usually even whip it around and turn it into a positive.

Why lie in your resume??