It's official

spike

The story came up near the top on a quick search of "Iraq" and "rape". Seemed to fit the discussion. :shrug:

But sure, the idea that rape in general is up and that basic lack of security is the important point and severe impediment to feeling "liberated".

jimpeel

Rape is WAY up in Iraq since the war started.

You will, of course provide links and citations to support that statement, won't you; or are we expected to take your word for it.

Post some links that confirm that statement.

Post some citations which corroborate that statement.

We shall all wait patiently but I wouldn't recommend that anyone hold their breath unless they look absolutely smashing in blue.

You give us ONE INSTANCE of rape and that means that "Rape is WAY up in Iraq since the war started."

jimpeel

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/oct/08/iraq.peterbeaumont

"Iraq: The U.S.-led invasion to "liberate" Iraq from Saddam Hussein has imprisoned women in an inferno of sectarian violence that targets women and girls. The literacy rate, once the highest in the Arab world, is now among the lowest as families fear risking kidnapping and rape by sending girls to school. Women who once went out to work stay home. Meanwhile, more than 1 million women have been displaced from their homes, and millions more are unable to earn enough to eat."

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/326354

Congratulations on doing what you accuse me of doing -- using one instance from a Left wing Marxist rag.

The story from the Star, entitled "Ten worst countries for women" highlights nothing but Islamic countries and discusses what has been happening since time immemorial.

2minkey

bootlicker
Elaborate on that statement, please. It sounds like you are saying most American soldiers are bad people. Is that what you are saying?

no, you're misquoting him. he only thinks SOME of the US soldiers are avid rapists!

i'd call you a liar and, um, prevaricator (HA HA) but i suspect you just need to reread a couple things more carefully.

:rainfrow:

jimpeel

It is intetesting to note that in the statistics on rape of countries throughout the world that Iraq appears ... lemme see now ... NOWHERE in the top 65 countries.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap-crime-rapes

How do you figure that "Rape is WAY up in Iraq since the war started." and it isn't even on the radar?

The United States, however holds the number one spot.

jimpeel

no, you're misquoting him. he only thinks SOME of the US soldiers are avid rapists!

I clicked the "QUOTE" button on his post and the quote is as posted by him sans the bolding. How can that be a misquote? I'm sure you meant "misinterpretation", no?

I asked for clarification and made no accusations of what he meant. I made the statement "It sounds like you are saying most American soldiers are bad people." and followed that up with a question for him to answer whether that is what he meant ... "Is that what you are saying?" It is a simple "Yes" or "No" question. How about we let him answer.

i'd call you a liar and, um, prevaricator (HA HA) but i suspect you just need to reread a couple things more carefully.

:rainfrow:

That is why I gave him the opportunity to elaborate on what he really meant. He has, up to this point failed to do so; but I won't hold that against him.

He hasn't needed other people to answer his questions for him in the past so I'm sure there is no need for you to jump to the fore to answer for him this time.

How about we wait to see what he says.

jimpeel

How about everyone who argues against the liberation of the Iraqi people go and watch the videos HERE and then tell us how bad our soldiers are to these people.

Bring a strong stomach or a bucket whichever suits your constitution.

After you view them, let's have another discussion on how making fun of a man's genitals, putting women's panties on his head, waterboarding, and flushing a Quran down the toilet constitutes torture.

Then go HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE.

After you get through castigating me for posting those pictures from a "biased right wing website" go HERE and see what Human Rights Watch has to say about it.

Then listen to the report, and click on the photo gallery, at NPR HERE and see what they have to say about the atrocities of Saddam. View the pictures at NPRs site and you will see that they are the same as the ones at the right wing site.

Then tell me, end everyone else here, how these people did not deserve to be liberated from that monster regardless of the presence of WMDs.

Is it any wonder that Liberals make Conservatives sick to their stomachs?

Cerise

The way you were talking I thought there was some kind of poll that said "before the US set us free there was "X" amount of rapes, but after that (momentarily misdirected) assistance there was an increase of "X" amount of rapes."

Ain't gonna happen---I'm shocked.

Can't find a link that reflects your anti-American spew????

Unexpectedly, the ones you gave indicated that Islamic countries are the ones that like to keep my sistas down. :rolleyes:

They die for doing jobs that the militants have decreed that they cannot do...

jimpeel

This little blurb might put things in perspective ... but I doubt it.

http://www.dinocrat.com/archives/2007/08/03/some-crime-statistics/

In the 19-month period - over a year and a half - from Jan. 1, 2006 until the morning you read this, misbehavior by our troops resulted in a total of 59 scheduled court-martials in Iraq - 21 of them general court-martials, which are reserved for the most-serious crimes (murder, rape, robbery, assault, arson and so forth). The other 38 were special court-martials, invoked for lesser offenses, such as disciplinary infractions or petty theft.

OK: 59 trials in 19 months, among an average troop population of almost 140,000. Compare that to civilian crime statistics back home, and it’s clear that any of us would welcome the chance to live among such model citizens — even though our troops are overwhelmingly within the age window where criminal behavior is most frequent.

Start with a city that Money magazine rated as “one of the 10 best places to live” in the United States: Ann Arbor, Mich. Home to a great university, the town has a population of about 113,300 — about 20,000 lower than our pre-surge troop numbers in Iraq.

In 2005 (the last year for which statistics are available), that ideal place to live recorded 1,476 crimes that, if committed by a soldier, would have required a general court-martial — plus a further 2,282 thefts and similar infractions that, depending on the details, would have been handled by either a general or a special court-martial.

Twelve months in Ann Arbor, 3,758 court-martial-equivalent trials. If all the crimes had been taken to court, which one doubts. Nineteen months in Iraq, under the complex stresses of combat? 59 court-martials. Guess that bastion of ethical liberalism in Michigan needs to go through basic training.

But let’s give peace a chance: The most dogmatically left-wing city in the United States is undoubtedly (the People’s Republic of) Santa Cruz, Calif. With a population of some 55,000 — about a third of our current troop numbers in Iraq — Santa Cruz, where the Age of Aquarius reigns, had 503 violent crimes in 2004 (the latest statistics available) and a total of 3,665 crimes that would qualify for court-martials.

Extrapolate those numbers to match our current troop strength, and you’d have a requirement for more than 10,000 court-martial equivalents. If Santa Cruz were as serious about punishing its criminals as our military is.

spike

You will, of course provide links and citations to support that statement, won't you; or are we expected to take your word for it.

Already posted a link showing how literacy is down due to women being afraid to leave their house.

Now provide links and citations for your statement "We have ALWAYS come to the aid of the downtrodden and this is merely one more time that we have done so."

Key word you already made big "always".

spike

Congratulations on doing what you accuse me of doing -- using one instance from a Left wing Marxist rag.

Marxist? That's funny.

Isn't this the right wing way? Find one instance of something and generalize everything from that? I thought that's how you guys got convinced of things.

Find a story about robbery in two cities and generalize shootings in the 1800's or something right?

spike

Elaborate on that statement, please. It sounds like you are saying most American soldiers are bad people. Is that what you are saying?

Most of them are "just trying to serve their (momentarily misdirected) country..."

Geez.