Little Mosque On The Prairie

freako104

It ain't that simple.

Christians have yet to announce from the pulpit that they are on a crusade to kill any nonbeliever they come across. They do not slaughter their enemies en masse.

The same can be said for Muslims. Only the extremists have been saying that

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Generalizing all from the actions of a few. Just like I did with christians and Fred Phelps.

Except that whenever some fool does something stupid in the name of Christianity, the Christians come out of the woodwork to negate that.

A handful of intellectual Muslim scholars (they must have an awful lot of scholars in Muslimland) finally get off their ass & denounce attacks (often years old), with caveats, is hardly an equitable comparrison.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Sorry Gato, but it's and easy thing to say from here. 95% or more of people will put personal safety ahead of doing the right thing when push comes to shove. The leaders who can get a group moving against such instincts are rare indeed. Even rarer in many middle-eastern countries, I suspect. The culture is one of conformity and non-conformists are dealt with quickly and harshly. :shrug: An idea like freedom has to have some fertile ground to take root and I think that's a rare commodity in most of the middle-east. Not that I don't think it can happen, but it has to start with a fundamental shift in philosophy which I don't think very many there are prepared to embrace. :shrug:

Sorry, but I don't buy that. These are some of the same people that talk about maltreatment from everybody else, so its extremely hard to believe that they can't see it in themselves when they're doing it to others. This has nothing to do with freedom.

spike

No, I don't live in your house. So go ahead and tell us where your anti-american religious bigotry comes from if none of it is from the tube.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
SnP's use of the word 'crusade' isn't appropos then, or have you forgotten all about the multiple crusades?

Crusade is not limited to one military event.

Spike, since you don't live in my house, would you mind too terribly telling the rest of the class precisely how you know what I do and do not spend my time doing when I'm home? Invasion of privacy is a crime.

MrBishop

Crusade is not limited to one military event.

I understand, but it is a useful term to describe a period of time where the Christian Pontiff declared religious wars against the Muslims and other non-believers in the middle-east with no quarter given, in order to regain 'the Holy land'.

It wasn't' successful...but it was effectively a jihad.

chcr

Too cute for words
I understand, but it is a useful term to describe a period of time where the Christian Pontiff declared religious wars against the Muslims and other non-believers in the middle-east with no quarter given, in order to regain 'the Holy land'.

It wasn't' successful...but it was effectively a jihad.

You know, it occurs to me that when Bush accidently called the Iraq war a "crusade," he didn't know how accurate he was being. The original Crusades were a horrifying failure too.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You know, it occurs to me that when Bush accidently called the Iraq war a "crusade," he didn't know how accurate he was being. The original Crusades were a horrifying failure too.

That's what happens when you don't really want to win...:shrug:...Call it what you will, but the US hasn't been in a war since WWII.

MrBishop

That's what happens when you don't really want to win...:shrug:...Call it what you will, but the US hasn't been in a war since WWII.
I think its more of a matter of not defining what a 'win' would be.
If a win in Iraq was deposing Saddam..that was over a while back.
If a win in Iraq meant a stable 'democratic' country... that may take a decade and really should've been fought in the board-rooms, and not the battlefield.

catocom

kinda reminds me of the Clash sone....

Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An if I stay it will be double

Don't know though. That could be backwards....time'll tell.:shrug:

spike

Spike, since you don't live in my house, would you mind too terribly telling the rest of the class precisely how you know what I do and do not spend my time doing when I'm home? Invasion of privacy is a crime.

You're avoiding my question of where you get the religious bigotry from if not the tube. I answered your question, now it's your turn.