Mexico is full of druggies

Alcohol is legal.

Illicit drugs are not.

Pot is the same as heroin in the eyes of blind justice.
Possession and/or use of a substance is a crime when a law makes possession or use of that substance illegal. Alcohol was illegal when possession and/or use was made illegal by a law prohibiting that substance.
"Illicit" means "unlawful".

So, if you remove marijuana from the list of "illicit" drugs it is as legally acceptable as alcohol.

Therefore, small amounts of marijuana (and heroin and cocaine) are NOT "illicit" according to the new law in Mexico.

My personal stand? I believe that marijuana is on the same level as alcohol. Heroin and cocaine are not. Marijuana has not been proven to be a "gateway drug". That label is propaganda.

Alcohol is legal.

Illicit drugs are not.

Right. We've established that. The question was whether or you are against the fact that they have made a distinction between alcohol and other drugs.

I don't know how much more clearly I can write this.

I'm not answering your question because it's not relevent.

When other drugs are legalized, then we'd be talking apples - apples.

"Illicit" means "unlawful".
Which is why I used that word. Illicit is unlawful is illegal.

So, if you remove marijuana from the list of "illicit" drugs it is as legally acceptable as alcohol.

Same as heroin.

Therefore, small amounts of marijuana (and heroin and cocaine) are NOT "illicit" according to the new law in Mexico.

True. However, our discussion had become about the US.

All I'm saying is there is no valid argument for there being more crime if drugs were legal. Alcohol was legal, and then when it wasn't all of a sudden, that gave birth to La Cosa Nostra. A different kind of crime may take place, but if you went retroactive on drug laws and freed all those who have no other charge or record of charges aside from directly drug related and soon the prison overcrowding would be but a memory.

If anything, I think there would be less, since gangs couldn't make money selling weed anymore. Maybe in conjunction with increasing the penalties for the "harder" drugs like heroin and cocaine, it would get rid of all the small-time pot dealers.

I'm not answering your question because it's not relevent.

It is certainly relevant. Currently some drugs are legal while others aren't. A distinction has been made. So either you're against the current distinction or there shouldn't be a problem with making another distinction. Say making pot and alcohol legal.

then we'd be talking apples - apples.

Right now we're talking drugs - drugs.

Well Altron, then I guess I misunderstood you. When spike said this:

So since alcohol is legal we should make everything legal right? Or alcohol shouldn't be legal either.

And you replied with this:

Well, spike, we already tried that. Only thing that came out of it was the beginning of organized crime.

But you really didn't mean that legalization of alcohol cause organized crime, but rather prohibition right?

But you really didn't mean that legalization of alcohol cause organized crime, but rather prohibition right?

Yes. It's completely idiotic to pass laws that oppose the will of the majority in order to appease a vocal minority. It's been tried so many times in the past, and has been a failure. If a law is very unpopular, it will not be followed, and it will not be enforced.

Let's look at the 55 mph speed limit. When was the last time you drove on the interstate, and most cars were going 55 mph, and it wasn't heavy traffic or terrible weather? Never? I drive on the highway a lot, and traffic is generally 10mph above the speed limit, with the occasional jackass going 20 over, and the occasional jackass going exactly the speed limit, forcing everyone to switch lanes to pass him. If you made the speed limit 75, and actually enforced it better, there would be much more incentive to follow it.

Making something illegal, then not enforcing it results in a slippery slope. If the speed limit was 75, I'd feel nervous about going 85, because I might get a big ticket. But if the speed limit is 55, and all the traffic is moving at 75, why would I care about going 85? I'm breaking the law and nothing bad is happening, so why not break it some more and drive 85?"

You get an attitude of "Well, I smoked pot, an illegal drug. I didn't get caught. I didn't hurt myself or anyone else. I watched 'Super Troopers' and ate a bag of Doritos. So why not do another illegal drug, like cocaine?"

I personally have a lot of experience in this area. Everyone here knows I am an advocate of across the board legalization and decriminalization. Drug use is a health problem, the only reason it is a crime is because of the law, which allows the criminal element to price it according to the dangers of trafficking it. Take that element out of the equation and folks would not have to commit crimes to afford their drugs in many cases and taxation could fund treatment and education.

The ONLY valid argument against such a policy is that all of a sudden the number of addicts will skyrocket. I really doubt there is much validity to that theory at all, but since when does common sense ever mix with the laws of this country?

Alcohol is legal.

Illicit drugs are not.

Pot is the same as heroin in the eyes of blind justice.

right. end of story.

don't question why this is the case, just salute young man!

yeah i really gotta get them shears sharpened.

right. end of story.

don't question why this is the case, just salute young man!

yeah i really gotta get them shears sharpened.

Umm...there is a process that one may go through to get an illegal substance changed to a legal substance. Until that process has been completed, said product remains illegal. You are arguing that why is more important than is. Sometimes why can be more important, but, in this case, I don't think so. Now...if supporters of legalizing marijuana got together with their congressperson and lobbied to get it legalized through legislation, then you would have a reason that why would be important. Until then...it is still illegal, and getting caught with it can get you time in jail. Its not a difficult concept to follow unless you are being deliberately obtuse. Make it legal, and then enjoy. Until then, :stfu:

Making something illegal, then not enforcing it results in a slippery slope. If the speed limit was 75, I'd feel nervous about going 85, because I might get a big ticket. But if the speed limit is 55, and all the traffic is moving at 75, why would I care about going 85? I'm breaking the law and nothing bad is happening, so why not break it some more and drive 85?"

not if you are an Elite, like the politicians.
They don't seem to care much for the law that doesn't benefit them, to start with.

Umm...there is a process that one may go through to get an illegal substance changed to a legal substance. Until that process has been completed, said product remains illegal. You are arguing that why is more important than is. Sometimes why can be more important, but, in this case, I don't think so. Now...if supporters of legalizing marijuana got together with their congressperson and lobbied to get it legalized through legislation, then you would have a reason that why would be important. Until then...it is still illegal, and getting caught with it can get you time in jail. Its not a difficult concept to follow unless you are being deliberately obtuse. Make it legal, and then enjoy. Until then, :stfu:

Gato said:
A television may insult your intelligence, but nothing rubs it in like a computer.

And nobody condescends, like Gato!

And before you start, I know I am guilty too, I just have a different style and am much more sarcastic....

I don't think making pot illegal has stopped people using it

Any more than legalizing it would make significantly more people use it even though that's the argument. Of course, I think all drugs should be be legalized and controlled, like alcohol. "Don't make distinctions." You want to stop drug use? Legalize it then talk to the anti-tobacco people. Prohibition clearly does not work. OTOH, it certainly does increase the incidence of violent crime.

Any more than legalizing it would make significantly more people use it even though that's the argument. Of course, I think all drugs should be be legalized and controlled, like alcohol. "Don't make distinctions." You want to stop drug use? Legalize it then talk to the anti-tobacco people. Prohibition clearly does not work. OTOH, it certainly does increase the incidence of violent crime.

I'm sure Gonz has a solution....Perhaps lethal injection for possession?

Legalize it. Then you can euthanize yourself.

I'm not arguing the merits of legalization. Im, saying two of the three substances we're primarily discussed are illegal. At that point, we can discuss the dangers of all 3.

Any more than legalizing it would make significantly more people use it even though that's the argument.

Take away the legal ramifications & you don't think useage, and users, will increase?

And nobody condescends, like Gato!

And before you start, I know I am guilty too, I just have a different style and am much more sarcastic....

Really? How quaint. :rolleyes: Here's a couple of yes/no questions...

1. Have you petitioned your legislature to legalize the substance in question?
2. Have you gotten any friends who use marijuana to sign any petition to get it legalized?

If you have done niether, then you don't care if the product is legal, or not, and you deserve any legal ramifications of being caught with it. Hell...even if you have done any of the above, and been turned down, it still makes the drug illegal, and you deserve any legal ramifications of being caught with it. Its not rocket science.

Back