Oh noez! Gonz is punishing me! ZOMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyrie

Well, I tracked down as many registered moderators as would talk to me, and everyone had the same answer. You fuckers turned this place into a sewer and they want nothing more to do with it, until someone flushes the place clean and starts over ... if that. I'm paraphrasing, you understand. The gist is that they don't give a flying rat's ass, and all have declared themselves quit of this place, and have a hard time understanding why they haven't been replaced as moderators long since.
Ouch!
So are we talking Sodom and Gomorrah wipe clean? Or Noah's flood wipe clean?

Watched a board go to shit because of mod/admins strong-arming the members. Wouldn't want that to happen here.

valkyrie

Been around, just lurking. I read almost all of the post, make my comments to myself and move on. I just felt that as an "outsider" for lack of a better word, I needed to comment on this one.

It's a shame that people take the online world so seriously. My gosh, if I did that I would do nothing but cry daily as I have recently hooked up with many of my elementary school, junior high and high school friends and there has been a whole lot of "childish antics" going on. I laugh, dish it back to them and all in a day it was worth it. The online world is entertainment for me, yes I have made some friendships along the way, that being said I would never dream of calling one of my "friends" retarded, a cunt, a blathering idiot or such, especially not on the internet when one could not see that I was teasing.

*steps off soapbox* I know everyone's mother's taught them how to play nice in the sandbox. :lurk:
Regarding taking the online world so seriously: right on!

But who cares if someone calls you a "cunt" online? I've been called worse and it didn't break me down into tears or ruin my day. Seriously! Who gives a flying fuck?

Professur

Ouch!
So are we talking Sodom and Gomorrah wipe clean? Or Noah's flood wipe clean?

Watched a board go to shit because of mod/admins strong-arming the members. Wouldn't want that to happen here.

So long as there's balance at the upper level, it works. Used to be Les was the leftie, gonz the right, and the board floated in the happy space between the two. Then some time ago, the left moved so far left that Les looked Right, and was accused as such. This board never did recover from that, and has been dying a little more daily ever since. Do you realise that several of our more reliable members these days are people I pulled here after they were banned from other boards? Banned from other places as troublemakers, but here, they're the voices of reason and sanity. How sad is that?

Professur

But who cares if someone calls you a "cunt" online? I've been called worse and it didn't break me down into tears or ruin my day. Seriously! Who gives a flying fuck?

Yeah, we've all heard worse ... but for people who come here to enjoy the place and conversation, decompress with friends ... it's hardly a pleasant atmosphere.

valkyrie

So long as there's balance at the upper level, it works. Used to be Les was the leftie, gonz the right, and the board floated in the happy space between the two. Then some time ago, the left moved so far left that Les looked Right, and was accused as such. This board never did recover from that, and has been dying a little more daily ever since. Do you realise that several of our more reliable members these days are people I pulled here after they were banned from other boards? Banned from other places as troublemakers, but here, they're the voices of reason and sanity. How sad is that?
Oh, shit! Really? I was banned from a board for being a troublemaker, a rule breaker, and a general all around bad influence. I came here because a few people had left there and came here. I drifted away for a while but got bored there when people drifted from that board.

I still consider myself a bad influence and a shit-stirrer. ;)

Regardless of a mod's personal political association and beliefs, a mod should be able to mod the board without taking sides. I know this is hard to do, but it can be done, or at least one should be able to give the appearance of justice.

Maybe new mods need to be chosen for this board, but I don't know who makes that decision here.

I'm watching Cerise make accusations against me of personal attacks in the RW forum, though I haven't made any. She is either insane or just really bad at making shit up. I'm guessing she's trying to have me banished like Spike to the KK. :rolleyes:

valkyrie

Yeah, we've all heard worse ... but for people who come here to enjoy the place and conversation, decompress with friends ... it's hardly a pleasant atmosphere.
True, but that mess should be kept in the RW. Why would anyone need to drag that atmosphere into another forum on the board? On the RW forum people get fired up over their politics and religious beliefs (or lack of belief), but there's no reason to bring that out when you're talking about say... gardening.

MrBishop

True, but that mess should be kept in the RW. Why would anyone need to drag that atmosphere into another forum on the board? On the RW forum people get fired up over their politics and religious beliefs (or lack of belief), but there's no reason to bring that out when you're talking about say... gardening.
In case you hadn't noticed...the RW is where the large majority of the posts happen. There's precious few threads outside of RW...other than the odd joke posted.

People who shoot daggers at each other in one part of the board are unlikely to shoot the shit in another.

valkyrie

In case you hadn't noticed...the RW is where the large majority of the posts happen. There's precious few threads outside of RW...other than the odd joke posted.

People who shoot daggers at each other in one part of the board are unlikely to shoot the shit in another.
I think it depends on the person and it takes a certain amount of maturity. I have no problem interacting in other forums with people I disagree with in the RW forum. You may have common interests that have nothing to do with politics or religion.

I have a friend who reads her bible 1 hour every morning. She goes to church several times a week. Yet we get along because we choose not to have the religion discussion and neither of us have the mistaken idea that we can change what the other person believes. It's a respect of space.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
1. I agree with Gonz's actions in this instance.

2. I have not received a reported post notice since January, which was in actuality a member asking about having their own post moved. Perhaps if we feel personally attacked or see someone being personally attacked we could, I dunno, like, hit the report button so that busy and/or sick admin/mods who either cannot or cannot bear to wade through every post in the hellhole that is the Real World have the opportunity to actually hear about and react to issues in a timely manner?

Prof said:
This.

AllEars'

maturity.
It's a respect of space.

Those 2 statements/words, are exactly what is missing from this forum for many months. Until that is back, I see this forum going nowhere but further down.

Maybe with any hope someone cares enough about this board to try and fix the problem that has ran so many off.

valkyrie

You just hit on the one thing missing on this board today: Respect.
Respect is earned. From my limited observations there is only 1 person that has not earned respect on this board because of certain actions. If you can't give respect... give distance. I've been trying to do that with that one person, though I feel a bit chased down sometimes. :rolleyes:

valkyrie

Those 2 statements/words, are exactly what is missing from this forum for many months. Until that is back, I see this forum going nowhere but further down.

Maybe with any hope someone cares enough about this board to try and fix the problem that has ran so many off.
The only people who can fix a board are the members. Mods/Admins can help but they're not going to be able to do this by themselves.

What you can do as a member...
  1. If you see an inflammatory thread started by someone with a reputation for such things (i.e., Cerise), don't respond/post to it. By responding you are giving that person exactly what they want but don't deserve: attention.
  2. You may not see eye to eye with someone in the RW forum but don't bring that into the other forums.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
1. I agree with Gonz's actions in this instance.

2. I have not received a reported post notice since January, which was in actuality a member asking about having their own post moved. Perhaps if we feel personally attacked or see someone being personally attacked we could, I dunno, like, hit the report button so that busy and/or sick admin/mods who either cannot or cannot bear to wade through every post in the hellhole that is the Real World have the opportunity to actually hear about and react to issues in a timely manner?

3. This.

bitch

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

That has never happened. It's not happening here. In fact, I've been the most vocal (and often singular) proponent for absolute free speech in the RW. The only hardcore rule has been to attack the idea, not the person. Truthfully, I quit doing much more than scanning most threads in the last several months because of childish behavior & boring subject matter.

Ideas are not being bandied about. Criticisms of posters, the choice of material and sources have taken over ideological discussions. I get pissy because nobody seems willing to actually discuss an opinion. I get pissy because people hide behind the AUP (which has gone missing) & walk the edge instead of discussing the matter at hand. I've left because I've had enough.

However, when someone PMs, or emails, me with a problem, I'm still obligated to do something. Hence, here we are.

Spike is not in the KK for creative spelling.

Spike is not in the KK for political reasons.

Spike is not in the KK for spite or due to a power trip.

Spike is in the KK for ignoring a warning about personal attacks and then rudely arguing about it.

He will remain in here until he decides to play by the rules.

If anyone feels they are personally attacked, report the post. It will be straightened out.

Attack the idea, not the presenter.

jimpeel

Of course you have no problem with this insulting behavior right?

Originally Posted by jimpeel
That's because you love blathering idiots -- birds of a feather, and all that, you know.

http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=631241&postcount=53

The post was edited as your link clearly shows. I was scolded and I have not repeated the faux pas. It was a personal comment given in a humorous, to me, roundabout way (Imagine a Sherlock Holmsian figure complete with pipe saying the above). Gonz killed the comment and posted exactly what is now posted there cautioning me against personal attacks.

Whether he came to the post by exploration or invitation I have no idea and don't particularly care. I won't do it again.

Now, to the public apology to Spike. I posted the comment publicly and I am apologizing likewise.

Spike, I am sorry if you were offended by my post and I will endeavor to avoid such conduct in the future. You have this way of getting under people's skin and they finally get nasty. I should not have done so and I was wrong to have allowed myself to make such a comment.

As far as I am concerned, Gonz could let you out right now and I would not be unhappy in the least. I like a good foil and you have been better than most.

This will be my only post at this thread.

See ya on the board.

j

valkyrie

The only people who can fix a board are the members. Mods/Admins can help but they're not going to be able to do this by themselves.

What you can do as a member...
  1. If you see an inflammatory thread started by someone with a reputation for such things (i.e., Cerise), don't respond/post to it. By responding you are giving that person exactly what they want but don't deserve: attention.
  2. You may not see eye to eye with someone in the RW forum but don't bring that into the other forums.
I forgot something else...
When you start a thread, make an attempt to present your views without being inflammatory toward the opposition. Be intelligent in your words.

Status
Not open for further replies.