Dontcha just luv the religion of peace?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It's a smart system they came up with. Do what we say or burn in hell forever. Indoctrinate other people and you get special bonuses.

Never mind the contradictions, violence, cruelty, ridiculousness, and plain out absurdity that is in our book because we'll be cherry picking the parts we like for the most part. If you have any questions remember not to question things because FAITH in the ridiculous will be rewarded.

Your society will be bogged down following these rules we made up for primitive people forever.

Woah, you're going to go kill a ton of innocent children and animals? Awesome, where do I join up?

1) too much there, I understand his point that if one beleives, one should follow all the rules.

2) killing the firstborn had nothing to do with conversion, it had to do with freeing the slaves of egypt. And that is a Jewish thing, not a Christian thing, so it was said, and celebrated by a religion which is not evengelistic.

spike

I didn't mean to imply that killing firstborns had to do with conversion, just that it's pretty messed up.

Also, the old testament is still part of the christian religions so it still has to do with the christian god as well.

BeardofPants

I'm a religious heathen, but even I know that's wrong spike (re: old testament). Wasn't the whole purpose of jesus to die for the sins, thereby severing the old testament? Could be wrong though - not my forte.

spike

Oh no, the old testament was not severed at all. Although many christian religions focus more on the the new testament.

Books of the Old Testament

Protestant Christians recognize only the books of the Old Testament that were included in the Jewish Bible, while Catholic and Orthodox Christians include several more books, known as the "Apocrypha" as part of the canonical Old Testament. The Apocrypha is discussed in the next article.

The total number of books in the Hebrew canon is 24, the number of scrolls on which these works were written in ancient times. The Christian Old Testament contains a larger number of books for two main reasons. The Catholic canon, which was based on the Greek-language Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible, absorbed a number of books that Jews and Protestants later determined were not canonical; and Christians divided some of the original Hebrew works into two or more parts, specifically, Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles (two parts each), Ezra-Nehemiah (two separate books), and the Minor Prophets (12 separate books).

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/texts/OT.htm

The passages I used are all from books just about all christians agree on. Many christians don't feel bound by all the dietary laws and such that are in the old testament but still teach the principles. For instance they'll use the story that god wiped out two cities of men, women, and children (Sodom and Gomorrah) to portray gay people as evil.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
2) killing the firstborn had nothing to do with conversion, it had to do with freeing the slaves of egypt. And that is a Jewish thing, not a Christian thing, so it was said, and celebrated by a religion which is not evengelistic.

You...wait a minute...:lol:...you actually expect him...oh this is rich...hang on a sec...:laugh3:...actually expect him to stay in context? :rofl3: With any discussion? :rofl3::rofl3:

Thanks man. I needed that worse than you'll ever know.

Stay in context...:rofl4:

catocom

what's the problem you can't see spike is Those sort of atrocities is why
Jesus was crucified.
He fulfilled their debts of sins.

So much of the old T is Old law, and ceased to exist accept in extreme circles. People that don't understand.

So don't spout scripture at me when you don't know what you are talking about.

spike

So much of the old T is Old law, and ceased to exist accept in extreme circles. People that don't understand.

Total bullshit. I spent many years going to both catholic and protestant churches and sunday school. The old testament is taught in both, quite often in fact.

So don't spout scripture at me when you don't know what you are talking about.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Ceased to exist? It's right there in both the catholic bible and king james versions. It sure does get quoted often for not existing.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
dude, where you been? there's LOTS of christian sects that tell thar kiddies shit like that. probably not so much now with catholics as it was years ago, but there's plenty of protestant sects picking up the slack on that one with the hellfire and whatnot.

I went with my dad on a semi-regular basis as a kid & never one heard anything even close to that.

Paul, I hope you were old enough to tell him to blow you & when he tried you kicked his ass.

spike said:
"He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed." Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Now there's a religion of peace.

Aren' those all old testament?

chcr

Too cute for words
Haven't seen purgatory mentioned in my Bible. Heaven, yes. Hell, yes. But not purgatory.
That's cuz your bible (KJV?) is missing seven books compared to spike's.

I won't even go into the apocrypha.

I went with my dad on a semi-regular basis as a kid & never one heard anything even close to that.
Is your dad catholic?

Your having never heard it doesn't alter the fact that this is what catholics teach and believe. I went every week as a kid and remember hearing it quite frequently.

Many protestant sects, OTOH, believe catholics are not truly christian and therefore are damned.

You know, many people ask me how I can possibly doubt the existence of god. :grinno:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Yea, my paternal family is Catholic. The fact that I didn't hear it means that it's not a universal truth. It may still be way too prevalent though.

I never got the whole Catholics aren't Christians thing. Where do they think most of the Christian religions sprang from?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I basically argued with him about religion, something I usually don't do (what i do here is NOT argueing) and he brought up this and that, I brought up the FSM (ramen) he brought up faith, I brought up the invisible pink unicorn (i know he is invisible because i can't see him, but I have faith he is pink).

Dueteronomy is the second book of laws, that where to pertain the the jewish people, there are laws AGAINST trying to convert people to your religion in there as well, the laws of death to idolitrators was to pertain to jews only (the government was the church back then, so think death penelty for treason) and some of the laws are harsh, and outdated.

And they are taught by the christian churches as they are part of the bible. My point was it's the NEW testement that expouses heaven only for beleivers of christ.

and that book is cherry picked by all sides of these arguements.

oh and unless you read ancient aramic ancient greek and ancient hebrew you have no idea what the bible says. The translations are wrong, and are purposefully misleading favouring the beliefs of that translator. I knew someone who's thesis was translating (she read all those ancient languages) one portion of the bible, one paragraph, the thesis was 400 pages long, words have more that one meaning, and ancient innuendo does not translate well.

catocom

Total bullshit. I spent many years going to both catholic and protestant churches and sunday school. The old testament is taught in both, quite often in fact.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Ceased to exist? It's right there in both the catholic bible and king james versions. It sure does get quoted often for not existing.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

yes the penalty phase was changed, so the old law doesn't exists. (the penalty laws)
The Laws are supposed to be obeyed, again to have greater rewards, and
because you'll have a happier life...

Jesus fulfilled the part about where the people that broke the laws weren't killed.
Like Mary M, she would have been stoned to death, but Jesus knew he'd be
taking care of that part so he saved her because of her faith.
THAT is what he fulfilled.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Whine about the plan all you like...I didn't write it. And the author doesn't really feel the need to edit it for 21st century moral standards. This ain't Burger King. You don't get to have it your way. It's a one size fits all kinda notion. Something is offered. The Entity doing the offering gets to set the conditions I suppose is one way to look at it. You don't like the offer? Don't take it. You'll not be the first to do so.

Carry on now kiddies. I'm gonna go watch paint peel.

:smoke4:

spike

yes the penalty phase was changed, so the old law doesn't exists. (the penalty laws)
The Laws are supposed to be obeyed, again to have greater rewards, and
because you'll have a happier life...

You're saying the old law doesn't exist, but their supposed to be obeyed except they're optional extra credit things. Sounds like god got a little wishy washy. Any scripture that says what you're saying?

Jesus said "Think not that I am come to destroy the law" so it seems like he thought they existed.

In fact mass murders much later were justified through the Bible. For example the Inquisition and witch burnings stemmed from quotes like these:

“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.” Exodus 22:18

"A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:27

Jesus fulfilled the part about where the people that broke the laws weren't killed.

So why would he say this?

"But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence." Luke 19:27