Garden Decor

alex

:hmm:

I took some pics of the mystery bush but I'll have to wait till I get home tonight to post them.

catocom

tonksy said:
How long do your jonquils bloom for, Cat?
on, and off for about a month, sometimes twice to 3 times a year.
I think it depends on the temperature or something.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
the season isn't long enough. I'd get the fruit and it'd freeze before it was done. That's what happened mostly when I did watermelons.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I was looking at blueberry bushes thinking I might get one for my mom for mother's day since she loves blueberries...those suckers are picky picky picky.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
THAT would be cool.

I was looking at raspberries and strawberries in the Co-op yesterday.
I have to commit soon and stop looking :lloyd:

Professur

Raspberry bushes spread. They'll tire out the ground and walk themselves out of your plot in short order. Strawberries are even worse. You'll soon have no lawn left if you let them take root. You really, really want to use hanging planters for them.

Blueberries and gooseberries are great. Particularly if you plant them as a hedgerow, like privet. They thicken up, the gooseberries have thorns, and they fruit on both sides so your neighbourhood kids will appreciate them, and actively protect them.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Raspberry bushes spread. They'll tire out the ground and walk themselves out of your plot in short order. Strawberries are even worse. You'll soon have no lawn left if you let them take root. You really, really want to use hanging planters for them.

Blueberries and gooseberries are great. Particularly if you plant them as a hedgerow, like privet. They thicken up, the gooseberries have thorns, and they fruit on both sides so your neighbourhood kids will appreciate them, and actively protect them.

From my readings blueberries are very picky about their soils...we have a little planter area in our backyard that I would guess my mom would plant it in if I got her one...but, I dunno it's all like "Your soil has to have this pH and this and this and blah blah blah" I'm not a garden person so I haven't a clue...I just thought it was a nice idea :shrug:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Apparently there's some sort of moss you can use which is good for them but they also recommend planting three varieties to ensure pollination...they're about $20 a bush so maybe I'll have to wait til next year since I don't even have a job yet.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
$20 for a bit of bush is excessive, I don't care what kind of bush it is.

I should go into the garden centre and price them...this is just off a website...I could be looking at some exotic variety of blueberry or something.