Garden Decor

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
aw, that's pretty!!! I can't wait to start gardening!!

I have 40 cut Daffodils in a vase right now, all just gorgeous and sunshiny.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
aw, that's pretty!!! I can't wait to start gardening!!

I have 40 cut Daffodils in a vase right now, all just gorgeous and sunshiny.

In support of the Canadian cancer society??

I have one bouquet...however many is in that...that I bought last week in support :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
Yep, that's who they came from. Beeee-ooo-tee-full!!

Indeed

Mine opened sometime on Friday, I was so very excited when I noticed :)

It's a joke here that you buy them to support cancer...but they will kill Tulips! That's what the papers says..not to put them with tulips because the daffodils will kill the tulips :eek:

tonksy

I lurv daffodillies! One of my goals for this fall is to plant bulbs at the front of the yard between the hollies and the street, thataway we can have an early spring garden with tulips (if I can find some that like the warmer winters, there are a few varieties), snow crocus, and daffodils!
les, do you grow daffodils? Or have you ever? They seem soo low maintenece, we see them wild all over the show up here.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
nope, I don't, but I dearly want to. I've never done bulbs before what I'm gonna try with the pot of them in the fall. Maybe next year!!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
I lurv daffodillies! One of my goals for this fall is to plant bulbs at the front of the yard between the hollies and the street, thataway we can have an early spring garden with tulips (if I can find some that like the warmer winters, there are a few varieties), snow crocus, and daffodils!
les, do you grow daffodils? Or have you ever? They seem soo low maintenece, we see them wild all over the show up here.

Better look into how close you can plant daffodils and tulips together...I dunno if the killer daffodils are when they're planted or just cut...but it's probably worth looking into.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Killer daffodils? Sounds like a bad sci-fi flick to me.

I woulda loved to have been able to see my face when I read the paper that came with my daffodils telling me not to put them in with any tulips...I was absolutely dumbfounded.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Nixy said:
Better look into how close you can plant daffodils and tulips together...I dunno if the killer daffodils are when they're planted or just cut...but it's probably worth looking into.
I don't like tulips anyway :devious:

I think if I did daffodils I'd have just them in a big ole cluster in a sunny corner somewhere.

Inkara1

Nixy said:
I woulda loved to have been able to see my face when I read the paper that came with my daffodils telling me not to put them in with any tulips...I was absolutely dumbfounded.

I'm just imagining a giant daffodil coming in through the window and sucking the baby up into the little cone in the middle of the flower. :D

tonksy

Nix? I wasn't planning on planting them in the same spot. The area I have open is 2 long but thin areas at the front by the road. I'd do tulips and crocus in one and several varieties of daffodils in the other.
About them killing tulips? I would imagine that they mean over a period of seasons. Daffodils are very hardy and invasive plants which will choke out other not so hardy plants. Down here most people plant tulips as annuals (which is why we southern folk see them with daffodils all the time) or dig them in the fall because it is not cold enough for them...however there are varieties which like a warmer winter and can stay put. I, being ot a fan of digging up shit, will be planting those.
Les? You don't like tulips? Just the classic kind or do you not like all the new hybrids, either?

Professur

Inkara1 said:
Nothing but hot noodles in the cabinet for lunch again?

Naw, I'm just trying to figure out what the big honking deal is. It's a freaking unedible onion. It's useless garlic. C'mon people. The world is starving and you're planting crap you can't even eat? What's wrong with you???

tonksy

:rolleyes:

BTW...Rob and I were tossing around the idea of pulling up some bushes in the backyard and thumbing our noses at the covenence and planting a veggie garden.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
tonksy said:
About them killing tulips? I would imagine that they mean over a period of seasons. Daffodils are very hardy and invasive plants which will choke out other not so hardy plants.

Mine are cut flowers though...and the paper says I shouldn't let them share a container with tulips...it's rather baffling.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Nixy is definitely right. You shouldn't let them share with anything.
The Daffodil flower stem, when first cut, secretes into the vase water a substance that is toxic to other cut flowers. It can clog the water uptake of other flowers, especially tulips. Therefore, you should not mix other flowers in the same vase with the Daffodils.

There are specially formulated cut flower foods which allow you to mix daffodils with other flowers without having this problem. Or, you can stand the Daffodils in water by themselves for at least 12 hours. Then you will need to use fresh water before mixing with the other flowers and this should be changed often. Also in this case, do not recut the Daffodil stems.
http://www.hy-vee.com/floral/answer_aisle.asp?artID=358