Garden Decor

Professur

BeardofPants said:
Prof? My oma survived WWII subsisting on tulip bulb soup. She said it was disgusting.

Really? That is too cool. Tell her I said so, please.

I've had dandylion salad before. Most plants are edible in one form or another. You just have to look. I knew a guy how was always in trouble with the city about his back lot not being mowed. Near every year, he had to prove that it was actually a vegetable garden.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They sell them in big bunches at the grocery stores here now. I buy em for the guinea pig, but the kids get a kick out of eating them too.

It helps with the baleful stares during the winter when I can't just go get him some on demand.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We just went and tooled around the Co-Op that's around the corner. I had a blast!

I picked up some (supposedly butterfly attracting) wildflower mix. I can't make a decision and commit to what to do for flowers this year, so that's what I'm gonna do out front. Butterflies or not, it should be real pretty and low maintenance.

alex

I've been trying to figure out the name of this one plant forever. It's a kinda bush, grows fairly tall, medium size leaves (4-5 inches), I've seen it used mostly around patios as cover because they are thick. The local Burger King had some around the garbage bin to cover it. You can cut this bush down to the stump and it'll grow back. Very hearty plant. I think that's what I'd like to plant along the fence out back.

tonksy

Sounds like a privet but they've got small leaves...everything else I can think of flowers so...does it flower? Jeez...ask a question and then disappear why dontcha?

alex

I'm at work damnit :p

I think it may have small flowers and berries. It is more like a tree bush. It grows fairly tall. I'll try to take some pics but the Burger King just cut all theirs down to the trunk cause they redid the flower beds. Maybe they still have some they didn't whack. I go by there every morning and get breakfast so I'll just take my camera with me in the morning.

tonksy

Nandina maybe? Big red clusters of berries?
nandina.jpg

alex

No, that's not it, I used to have some nandina's out front. This has much larger dark green leaves and much taller.

alex

This is the closest thing I can find right now but I'm pretty sure that's not it. The one I'm looking for grows thinner and taller, not short and fat.

catocom

I've been pruning my ass off for the last week on and off.
I've gotta redo the whole split-rail fence in my front yard (about 70 feet)
Then I've got a little fish pond, and water-mill setup I'm going to use
to make a little oasis in the front yard.
At the same time, I'm planting Tomatoes, Cantaloupes, Cucumbers, and maybe
some Okra. Mostly tomatoes though, because we have a new canning setup,
and we eat a lot of spaghetti.:D

I've got some grape vines, and plum trees I've got get fixed, that have
been neglected for years, IF I can get to it.

I'm thinking about doing a patch of Marigolds in one spot. They always do really
good around here with low maintenance, and they might go good with the
Jonquils that have been already well established in that area.

I'm getting this place re-surveyed in the next week, then I'm going to have
to get more serious about planting some pines, and big, thick shrubs,....
maybe some more Red tips. When I see exactly where I'm going to need them
on the other side of the lake, where the new subdivision is going to be.

Sometimes I feel there's just not enough of me to go around. I think I need
a kick in the butt to make myself delegate some more of the responsibility
around my place here.:whip: :D